Read 6525 times

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
iherb shipping
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:01:29 pm »
I was just about to make another order today from iherb
for some supplements when all of a sudden the option for CJ GLS shipping was gone?!
Is it a site error or did they really remove CJ GLS?

The problem now is I have to choose from either Korean Postal or International Airmail.  I dont want to wait
30 days for my shipment to arrive so I chose Korean Postal (4-7 days).  I filled out the info but it told me my
resident registration number was invalid (that's because I don't have one, I used a foreigner's registration number,
like everyone else here does).

So does this mean that foreigner's in korea can no longer order from iherb via express shipping cj gls or korean postal?  It doesn't
seem to accept our registration numbers.

I had just ordered a month ago from iherb via CJ GLS option and used my foreigner registration number and it was no problem!
Can anyone confirm if they too found this problem?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:03:42 pm by joseph921 »

Re: iherb shipping
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »
Last time I ordered I used Korean postal shipping.  I used a Korean friend's name and ID number but all the billing and shipping information were in my name.  They never contacted my friend and the package came to my address. 

• Lolin
  • Waygookin

• December 29, 2011, 06:06:48 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:49 pm »
You can have items shipped via CJS if you have 6 items or less. I just had my package delivered on Saturday by CJS.

• jazzychica
  • Adventurer

• December 26, 2010, 12:24:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »
I don't think iherb is shipping with CJS (Korea Airboy) anymore. It was listed until very recently, but now it's not a shipping option even if you only have 6 or fewer items. Their info is missing from the international shipping section, too.

If you want a tracking number and faster service, the only option is Korean Post. You'll have to use a Korean national's name & number, as Rutherford said, because the ARC numbers given to foreigners aren't considered valid (same problem in Korean paypal).

• Lolin
  • Waygookin

• December 29, 2011, 06:06:48 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:18 pm »
How strange... I just ordered something 2 days ago and it was shipped through CJS but my current shopping cart doesn't show an option for CJS.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »
I just got an email back from iherb and they confirmed with me that as of Jan. 6, CJ GLS express shipping option was removed.
They only use Korean Postal now for express shipping and ONLY to korean residents, not to foreigners.

They told me I have to either use a korean resident's number or use the International Mail option (which takes minimum 14 days and up to 30 days or more, esp. during holiday season like now). 

How regrettable!  Lots of foreigners in korea order from iherb and now we can't order express anymore. That's very odd. 
Do you think it will be okay for me to ask someone from my school to lend me their RRN or is this like a security risk or something?

I will never use International Airmail again because last time it took 1 month for my package to arrive and sometimes packages never arrive from what I've heard.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:34 am »
GO to their fb page https://www.facebook.com/iHerb and let them know that you're not happy with the change.  Remind them that they are alienating a potentially huge market, there are about 10,000 NETs in this country. Tose of us in small cities and rural areas have fewer shopping choices and gravitate towards iherb.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
Wow as if it couldn't get any worse!  I just checked iherb's page again and now they've RAISED the cost of International Airmail from $4.00 to $6.00!!!!!   

That's only $1 less than the express shipping option that comes with a tracking number AND only takes 4-7 days to arrive.

So let me get this straight now:

1.  They take away express shipping options with tracking number for foreigners
2.  Force us to use International Airmail which they just raised the price to practically the same as express shipping, only International Airmail has no tracking number, takes up to 6 weeks to arrive and sometimes NEVER does arrive, and is NON-REFUNDABLE if anything should happen to it.

Options are:
1. Korean Postal: $7.00 for tracking number and express delivery 4 to 7 days.
2. International Airmail: $6.00, NO tracking, takes 2 weeks to up to 6 weeks for delivery, NON-REFUNDABLE if it gets lost, stolen, confiscated, or simply never arrives.

3.  Beg a Korean citizen to lend me their RRN so I can order via option 1.  I think I'll ask my teachers at school or date me a korean gf just so that I can use her for her Registered Resident Number.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:00:17 am »
I also used to order from iherb using a korean friend's RRN (my ARC didn't work for some reason) until we both realized it wasn't such a good idea. Let alone the fact that it's not quite legit to borrow someone else's ID (think of it as lending your social security number to someone else), seems that it can cause more troubles since the items are food products (highly regulated). This is probably related to why iherb requires RRN making buyers liable for potential legal issues. It's definitely a pain in the butt for us in small cities.

I'd recommend turning to to local sources. There seem to be increasing number of semi-decent, english-friendly shopping sites such as http://www.fatbag.co.kr. For things I don't find there, I stop by stores at Itaewon whenever I get a chance to visit Seoul...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:02:01 am by broadway34th »

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:55:55 am »
I'd recommend turning to to local sources. There seem to be increasing number of semi-decent, english-friendly shopping sites such as http://www.fatbag.co.kr. For things I don't find there, I stop by stores at Itaewon whenever I get a chance to visit Seoul...

I would've loved to do this from the beginning, but with a lot of things it really is just not possible, especially for those of us living in the very rural areas.  It takes two hours by bus from where I am just to get decent cheese, much less things like almond flour and organic jojoba oil. 

Please people, post to the facebook page and see if we can't persuade them to at least bring the CJS option back.  I'm loathe to borrow a Korean's RRN, since I know how touchy I would be if someone walked up to me and asked to borrow my SSN back in the states, even if they were a REALLY good friend. 

• skinsk
  • Explorer

• January 23, 2012, 11:08:59 am
    • Suncheon
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:08 pm »
I just ordered using my ARC and it wasn't a problem! It wasn't my first order. . . not sure if that matters. Korea Post does limit you to $100 per order and there are limits on certain regulated items being imported, but you're notified long before checkout! Anyway, to anyone who is new to iHerb, I still highly recommend them. There is an e-mail help desk especially for Korea (they answer promptly and in good English!). If your order is under 4 pounds, you can still use international shipping, although I have never placed an order under 4 pounds.

If you're new to iHerb, I appreciate you using my coupon code: NAP702 for $5 off your first order (these codes are everywhere, but this one credits me for the referral, and this is a company I am happy to refer.

• Sticks
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 03:27:45 pm
    • Cheonan/Ansan, Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »
From the shopping cart page:
Direct Korean Post, Safe and delivery option through Korean Postal Service. Customers do not need a Korean Residence Registration Number to use this shipping option; however, you will be asked to provide a copy of your passport by the custom broker before your order can be delivered. Please allow for an extra 3-6 days for the delivery of your package. The average delivery time for customers with a Korean Residence Registration Number is between 4 to 7 days. With both, your orders will have a tracking number. This option applies to orders valued up to $105.00. Orders are limited to 6 supplements/vitamins per order and 6 or less per item.

International Airmail, This option applies to orders valued up to $80.00 and weighing no more than 4 lbs. The average delivery time between 1 to 4 weeks. Although very reliable, this method provides no tracking number and is non-refundable; however, chances are you will pay no customs import taxes.

Seems like you don't need to provide one now? Just a copy of your passport. I'm guessing they recently added Foreigner ID numbers to their database. I used mine last week and it went through fine.

• misspigeon
  • Adventurer

• December 02, 2010, 12:52:38 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
I was a little skeptical about the switch also but I placed an order on iHerb last week and used the Korean Postal Service and had no problems. I put my order in on Tuesday and received it on Saturday. Sometimes with the ARC card, I have to put my name in LASTFIRSTMIDDLE or else it doesn't register it. Maybe try that or just go with the passport option?