Read 7100 times

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
Working in Geoje?
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »
Hi all,

If you have any information about living and working on Geoje Islands outside of Busan, could you please share?

The main things I'm wondering about is transportation (on/off) and seafood. Oh, and I suppose typhoons? :D

Thanks!

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea

• Tonga007
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 02:53:15 pm
    • korea
Re: Working in Geoje?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »
Lived on Geoje for a year, loved it!
Loads of stuff to do on Geoje and really easy to get around.

Getting on and off the island easy by bus/car or ferry. Geoje is connected by bridge to the main land of South Korea so your not really cut off.

Hiking is awesome beaches awesome, big supermarket for shopping in the main centre Gohyeon.
Loads of great food places both korean and western so you wont starve.

Here is a link of some friends blog who lived in Geoje while I was there.

I had a great time down in Geoje I made my longtime Korean friends here in Geoje and I still visit during my vacations times while I still live in Korea.

• Tonga007
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 02:53:15 pm
    • korea
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:30 pm »
http://www.blogger.com/profile/16710113274483950825

Sorry forgot to post the blog addy

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:17:58 pm »
I would personally take a job in Geoje.  Too many foreigners want to work in Seoul and to be honest, Seoul doesn't deserve all the hype it gets.   Once you live in Seoul, it's a pain to venture out, so you very rarely get to see the rest of Korea.   Given that Korea does have a lot going for it in terms of mountain scenery, and beaches if you know where to look, it's dumb to restrict yourself to Seoul.

Geoje is on the south coast near many islands such as Bogildo and Hansando which in my opinion, are some of the best places to go for the weekend if you want something quiet and with some good ocean scenery.  Keep in mind that to get to Bogildo from Seoul takes around 6 hours and so many foreigners don't bother.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »
I rocked Geoje 2002-2006. Took 50 minute ferries to downtown Busan once a month or so for the weekend. I assume buses over the bridge-tunnel link now ought to be more frequent, cheaper, but dunno for sure. I also loved the Friday night 11pm-430am expres bus to Seoul from downtown Geoje ("Goh-yeon") via the bridge at Tongyeong on which I would sleep, awaking before dawn in the big city for once-every-two-or-three months shopping and entertainment in the capital.

I've written copiously about the island on Dave's in the past.

if anyone has specific questions about the land itself, the sort of stuff that wouldn't change in a half decade or more, then PM me.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:38 am »
Thank you everyone. This is what I wanted to know.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Seoul, although I have friends who live there.  I spent a year in Gangwon-do on the coast and it was very isolating, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping into the same thing again.

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:30:20 pm »
Thank you everyone. This is what I wanted to know.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Seoul, although I have friends who live there.  I spent a year in Gangwon-do on the coast and it was very isolating, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping into the same thing again.

Now that you mention that, I might recommend against Geoje because it might be just as isolating as Gangwan-do.  Keep in mind that you would practically be about 4 hours away from Busan and about 6 hours away from Seoul (the bus routes might be shorter, but you need to take into account waiting for the bus, getting to the various bus stations, and so forth).  If meeting other foreigners is important for you, why not choose a smaller city like Gwangju or Ulsan.   Both of those cites have a good expat community.   The expats are active enough in Gwangju that they even have their own radio station.

For all I know, you might luck out and find some cool expats to hang out with in Geoje.   The thing is, Korea in general is very isolating unless you live in a bigger city.  This doesn't bother me personally as long as I have the Internet, but it might bother you.

• pccy75
  • Newgookin

• April 14, 2012, 09:01:16 am
    • Singapore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:59 am »
Hi all,

I have been offered a position in SHI. Can anyone advise me on how is life in Geoje - the scene, access and living expenses?

It is advisable to get a car so that travel will be easier?

How about staying in Busan and travel to work daily?

Thanks.

• CMTC
  • Veteran

• October 29, 2010, 02:41:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:12 am »
From Goyhun Bus Terminal on Geoje, it's only 45-mins to an hour to get to Busan.  It's 45 mins to Sinpyeong Subway station and an hour to Sasang Bus station, thanks to the new bridge. Bus costs about 6000won

I would not travel from Busan to Geoje everyday. Geoje is a great place to live.   You don't need  to have a car here, but a car is always nice to have to explore other areas if you so wish.  The intercity buses between Jagnpyeong - Goyhun-Okpo-Jangseungpo are very frequent so its easy to get around.