Read 8138 times

Re: Pets! In Korea
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 03:40:01 pm »
These are really interesting stories!  I just moved to Korea, so I'm not ready to adopt a pet just yet, but I know from the constant barking a few doors down that my apartment allows pets.  ^^  I have decided that if I sign on for another year at my school, I will definitely consider getting either a small dog or a cat (I'm not sure if my apartment allows cats).  I would probably get a slightly older dog (out of puppy years) so he/she could stand being alone in the apartment during my work hours, but would enjoy romping and cuddling with me before and after work and on the weekends.  I am one of those people that needs animal companionship, but I do want to make absolute sure that I know my way around Korea first; where to get food, toys, etc. and know of good vet offices before I seriously delve into the world of animal parenthood. <3

People please be aware about apartment building policies on pets.  It is usually not up to the apartment building whether pets are allowed or not.  They really only care about having people owning or living in the units. 

It is up to your specific unit's landlord whether you can have a pet or not.  There are many different owners of apartments in one apartment block.  The unit YOU reside in might have a landlord that allows pets, but your friend's apartment next door might have a completely different landlord who DOES NOT allow pets. 

Please be aware of this.  We see so many horror stories of people hearing about other tenants having pets, so they go out and get furry companion only to find out a month later, that they have the choice of getting rid of the pet or moving out because the landlord of their unit doesn't allow it.

That being said, please check with your specific landlord if they allow pets or not.

Please don't get me the wrong way!  If I get a pet, I intend to make it a forever pet, even going through the massive process to take it home with me after my contract is over.  This also means that I intend to do all of my homework and research to make a good home for my pet-- one where I won't have to toss the poor thing out into the cold a month later. 

I agree completely that researching everything you can before getting a pet is the best thing you can do.

• cowboy7
  • Super Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 01:47:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »
hokeypokey gave such a rock star description of their experience

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:47 pm »
If anyone has questions or concerns about caring for a rabbit in Korea or how to bring it back home with them (specifically to Canada or America) please feel free to message me. I adopted a bunny when I first came here two years ago and am currently preparing to bring it home with me in a few months.

Rabbits do NOT fly well! There is about a 50% chance of it dying while in the air. Please please try to find it a home here. I know, this sounds horrible, but do you really want to get to North America and find your precious pet has died? My friend adopted a rabbit, and when she was moving home, started researching how to get it back, and realized that it was really dangerous for the little dude. We ended up re-homing it with another friend who lives here permanently, who had had rabbits in the past, and knew how risky flying would have been.

I know that rabbits do not fly well. I have done a ton of research and talked to people who have also flown with rabbits internationally. The rabbit will be in the cabin with me, which is a lot better than in cargo. I'm not going into this blind, I have researched all of my options and I do believe I am doing what is best for my rabbit. I do appreciate your concern, though.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »
Okay then. Cabin is always better than cargo, but it still can make the little guys panic, which can stop their hearts. Best of luck to you and your furry friend. I know that you care about him or her.

Thanks! When I first adopted her, she took a 2 hour train ride from her previous home to mine and she took it like a champ. She just laid in her carrying case very relaxed and mellow. I know a train and airplane are completely different, but she is generally a very relaxed and mellow rabbit which is why my husband and I decided that we think she could handle the trip home with us. We, of course, will visit the vet first to make sure she is in good health.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
Good call. My friend's rabbit was terrified on his train journey to his new home. If you have a mellow guy, he has much better chances of survival. Do you know what airlines allow in-cabin rodents? I've only heard about dogs and cats as of yet.

United and Continental allow rabbits in cabin. I don't think they allow any other kind of rodent, though. I think there are a couple other airlines that allow it, but they are based in Europe.

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 08:28:42 am »
I also would really like to get a pet, but I feel it's way to cruel either leaving them here or taking them with. I don't know how it works every where, but if I where to take my dog back to SA, it will have to stay a total of 6 months in quarantine (3 months in Korea, and another 3 in SA)
BUT!!! I recently saw Lotte and Emart selling turtles!! how awesome is that! Would love having a couple! Do any one know what their called? I wan't to do some research before purchasing!
Thanks 

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:20 pm »
hokeypokey gave such a rock star description of their experience
Awww shucks, thanks cowboy 7.  We were so nervous,  I hope we can make it easier for people.  There is no need to go at it blind.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 07:59:40 am »
I also would really like to get a pet, but I feel it's way to cruel either leaving them here or taking them with. I don't know how it works every where, but if I where to take my dog back to SA, it will have to stay a total of 6 months in quarantine (3 months in Korea, and another 3 in SA)
BUT!!! I recently saw Lotte and Emart selling turtles!! how awesome is that! Would love having a couple! Do any one know what their called? I wan't to do some research before purchasing!
Thanks 

Please don't get a turtle. They are not good pets unless you are really dedicated. The ones they seem to sell here are sliders, red-ear and yellow. Turtles live 20+ years and get much bigger than you think. They are expensive to set up properly (water heater, UBV lighting, heat lamp, basking platform, cage...) and if you don't keep the tank clean they will stink up your apartment. And the chances of finding someone to take them when you leave are slim.

Here's a care sheet on them:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

If you do down a little over half a page there's a hatchling (what they sell) riding on the back of an adult female. That will give you a good idea of how big they get!

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:44 am »
I'm looking for a pet, and I want to get a Ferret (maybe a hedgehog, but I'd prefer a ferret). What do you bguys think? A wise choice? Yay or nay?  :D

If I offered you a job, but told you that pets were not permitted.

You then decided to bring your pet anyways.

I'd think you were not trustworthy and would fire you.

People will know you have a pet.  Dogs are noisy, other animals stink.

Pets do not belong in an apartment complext that is shared by other people who may or may not have medical conditions.

The fact that you bring your pet shows not only your selfishness, but disregard for others.

MC

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:33 am »
I'm looking for a pet, and I want to get a Ferret (maybe a hedgehog, but I'd prefer a ferret). What do you bguys think? A wise choice? Yay or nay?  :D

Pets do not belong in an apartment complext that is shared by other people who may or may not have medical conditions.

The fact that you bring your pet shows not only your selfishness, but disregard for others.

MC

Oh, MC. No pets in the entire apartment complex because one person in the building might have medical conditions... Should we also refrain from eating peanut butter at home because someone on the twelfth floor might have a peanut allergy? Is that also selfish and disrespectful of others?

Yes, of course, it's a terrible idea to ignore it when a landlord or employer says "no pets allowed." But honestly, many landlords and most employers don't care. More to the point, everyone so far has been advocating checking with your landlord first anyway. Which, for everyone considering pet ownership: do that. And then judge honestly based on your situation with the animal's best interest in mind.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »

MC

Oh, MC. No pets in the entire apartment complex because one person in the building might have medical conditions... Should we also refrain from eating peanut butter at home because someone on the twelfth floor might have a peanut allergy? Is that also selfish and disrespectful of others?

Yes, of course, it's a terrible idea to ignore it when a landlord or employer says "no pets allowed." But honestly, many landlords and most employers don't care. More to the point, everyone so far has been advocating checking with your landlord first anyway. Which, for everyone considering pet ownership: do that. And then judge honestly based on your situation with the animal's best interest in mind.

It's the elementary school (esp. kindergarten) argument all over again: should all kids be banned from bringing nut products because of a few kids with severe allergies? Or is it easier to homeschool the time bombs rather than change the diets of the entire school?

And yeah, I haven't seen anyone in this thread advocating getting a pet if the landlord said no.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.