Read 7239 times

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Chungdahm Asking for Ivy League?
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:05 am »
I saw this ad today at worknplay and I was curious what you thought about it. I hope this isn't really considered trolling because I am curious if people are really coming to teach English if they attended Johns Hopkins University or MIT. Are they just being silly or is this a serious market in Korea?

http://worknplay.co.kr/korea-jobs/196354/34-00045-000-krw-96-hour-guaranteed

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Chungdahm Asking for Ivy League?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:28 am »
"We are especially looking for candidates from the following universities." It's just them trying to seem selective. I have many friends who work for this chain and they are definitely not from IVY League schools.

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• November 12, 2010, 10:17:07 am
    • Gapyeong
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:41:26 am »
Back in 1996, when hakwons had just started bringing in FTs a few years earlier, I met a guy who had graduated from Harvard.  He was working in Wonju at one of the worst hakwons.  It only paid 800,000 won a month while most were paying 1.2 million.

• Andyroo
  • Expert Waygook

• February 09, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:38:47 am »
"We are especially looking for candidates from the following universities." It's just them trying to seem selective. I have many friends who work for this chain and they are definitely not from IVY League schools.

Then later in the requirements you must have a copy of a degree from those universities. So a bit of a mixed message.

Bachelor degree from one of the above universities (apostilled or certified copy-depending on country)

This is not a regular hagwon teaching gig by the looks of it.

NOTE: This is NOT a full-time position. There is NO health insurance, NO Severance, NO Pension.

It's probably something to do with their curriculum or some way of really making use of your link to a name university.

You would think a job advert would give you some idea of what type of work you would be doing but itís surprising how many job adverts here leave of such info but then add all the guff about how to get an E2.

I also find this amusing:
PLEASE NO CALLS: Due to the limited number of positions, only a short list of candidates will be contacted.
I wonder what sparked that ruleÖ doesnít give you a lot of confidence in their HR department. They donít want questions or they are too busy to even tell you that your not hired.

• jdw501
  • Waygookin

• November 02, 2011, 11:14:48 am
    • Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:28 am »
I had a friend who worked in Korea for a year and who had graduated from Cambridge University.

As to your question - if there is a market for graduates from these schools then I don't know where it is. Amongst the group of people I've met in Korea I don't know of anyone who has been to one of these American institutions. Actually coming to think of it, I don't know of anyone who has been to what I'd guess is a really great school. I did my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in two universities consistently in the UK top 10, but I don't know anyone who has been to any better known schools.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:26:48 am »
Well, I did apply with them last year, and they replied that my university wasn't good enough for them. I graduated from the University of Washington, which isn't too bad of a school, I thought.

• jxavier10
  • Explorer

• May 11, 2010, 06:32:53 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:06:19 am »
I worked for chungdahm for six months and I although I went to a top women's college at home, its definitely not ivy league. I met one guy who went to Yale when I was there, and the Ivy League degree is not a requirement. It only means that you teach higher level classes if you get hired and that you get paid more per hour or per month, depending on whether you work for a branch or a franchise. Trust me, if your thinking about working there, don't. Although they pay more money, they treat you like less than a human and there is no benefits (no pension,no  health insurance, only 7 days of vacation for the whole year, no korean holidays off). It's my opinion and that of many others that they are the worst chain of hagwon to work for. Don't believe me, google "reviews about chungdahm" and see what comes up. Some of their chains are even on the blacklist of hagwons not to work for. You've been warned!

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
I'm assuming Chungdam wants Ivy League graduates to teach TOEFL, SAT, and other test prep, considering the pay starts at 34,000 a hour, which, at 96 hours a month, translates to over 3.2 million a month. At the high end stated in the advertisement, a teacher would make around 4.5 million a month. The fact that they do not offer insurance is further proof; test-prep teachers are generally hired as independent contractors, and most do not care about not having insurance and such because they make much higher salaries than typical conversation teachers. And yes, most of the teachers who work in test-prep positions have degrees from top schools. In fact, I work with quite a few of them now at my test-prep hagwon in Gangnam. High-level students, the kind that want to go to university abroad, and, more importantly, their parents, demand teachers with degrees from prestigious schools. It's just the way the system works.

I must also say that I'm constantly surprised that most foreign teachers are completely unaware of the test-prep teaching industry in Korea. They seem to think that it is impossible for a native-English-speaking teacher to make more than 3.0 million won a month. That's simply not true. If you have the right credentials (i.e. a degree from a top university) and a good track record of producing strong results (in other words, having students ace their standardized tests), you can make huge amounts of money -- much more than 4.5 million a month -- teaching in Korea.

Well, I teach PS and with all my extra classes, housing, flights, health insurance, pension, etc. I would say I make close to that amount when averaged out.  Plus my job has much less stress, nice vacation time and I get holidays off.  I've known people who have worked for this company doing test prep and while the paycheque looks nice, you really need to take into account all the standard benefits and opportunities that other teachers get. 

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• November 12, 2010, 10:17:07 am
    • Gapyeong
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
Having taught in Bundang, I would imagine if you're teaching at one of these elite test-prep places, you likely need an Ivy League degree just to put up with the snots and snooty parents that too commonly look down on you like dirt for being a lowly hakwon worker...

Maybe with a degree from Harvard, you could confuse them enough:  "You graduated from Harvard?  Well...why....why...why are you working here?  You must be just another loser who couldn't make it in your home country, and MY dad is a surgeon and drives a Benz! don't ya know! but, but, but you graduated from Harvard?  You work here, so you must be retarded and can't cut it back home - cut it back home --- but, but you graduated from Harvard?  Why couldn't you make it back home?  I'm so confused...."

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »
Chungdam asking for IVY LEAGUE teachers?

LMFAO.

Oh God that's rich. 

What's next Wonderland demanding all applicants have at least a Master's?

I do wonder what happened to that lawsuit though.

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:44 am »
Who with an Ivy League degree would work at Chungdam?
Pretty rich for a country without a university in the "world top 100" asking for Ivy League grads for their hogwans.

That Eddie Murphy laugh would seem most appropriate at this moment. You know the one. :D

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:14 am »
Pretty rich for a country without a university in the "world top 100" asking for Ivy League grads for their hogwans.

Incorrect. Ranking lists are pretty bogus anyway but all the ones I've seen fairly consistently feature three Korean universities in the top 100. Namely: Seoul National (SNU), KAIST and Pohang Tech (Postech)*. Note that Yonsei and Koryo (the K and Y in SKY) don't rank. SNU ranks very highly and KAIST tends to be in the latter half of the list. Whilst most Western universities on the various lists tend to have pretty stables positions, anecdotally, I have noticed that the three Korean ones vary a lot between various groups that issue lists.

* In the latest 2011 rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd., SNU, KAIST and Postech rank #42, #90 and #98 respectively, from #50, #79 and #112 in the 2010 academic year. KAIST is the only one that fell of the three, but they have been having teething problems with the switch to English instruction.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:54:07 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
Well, I did apply with them last year, and they replied that my university wasn't good enough for them. I graduated from the University of Washington, which isn't too bad of a school, I thought.

The people hiring at Chungdahm just don't know the rankings and statuses of colleges in the United States.  The University of Washington is a great and well-respected school.

Chungdahm officially offered me a position.  A few days later, they rescinded it without giving any reason - they completely cut me off and didn't respond to my question as to why they took back their decision.

They pride themselves in providing great education, but ultimately they're a business and they'll do anything to reap the highest profits even at the expense of teachers and their students.  They give hagwons a bad rep.