Read 1467 times

Apartment hunting
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
I am looking to invest a lot of key money for my own apt. Does anyone know some helpful websites I could use to look at some apt. online. I want to get a feel for costs and size before working with an agency. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Freedom is like farts... You enjoy yours but usually can't stand other's...

Re: Apartment hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »
At a guess I would say most use Naver or a local agent.

We had a look at Craigslist but passed, we rang a few numbers but the places were always taken although many had a similar place for more money.

What area are you looking at?

That's the standard trick in Korea, not just craigslist. Advertise a nice big place at a very low price online, when they call up tell them it's just been rented and offer to show them "similar" places that always end up being not as nice and much more expensive. I reccomend just going to an agent in the area you are interested in. Looking online is just going to give you a distorted sense of what is really out there. This is especially true for the smaller places (officetels, studios, "one rooms", etc). You'll find more honest ads for larger apartments/houses for familes, etc.

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:52:55 am »
The realtors on craigslist suck, but there are some great personal ads from time to time with people trying to dump their lease on someone else (that's how I found my place).

Anyhow, unfortunately, the best way in Korea is to actually go with a realtor and check out a few places. There are places online, but a lot of it is bait and switch as others have said.

If you have an idea of an area you'd like to live in, go scope it out and check out a few nearby realtors and be really clear on exactly what you want and what your budget is. Better yet, if you know of a specific officetel or building that you're interested in, just inquire about vacant rooms and prices. Are you looking to do jeonsae, or just a big deposit with low monthly?

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 07:39:26 am »
Definitely go through different realtors. When I was looking for my new apartment, my coteacher and I went to five or six different ones. They all had different places listed, even though I was looking in a very small neighborhood, so if you don't see what you're looking for with one realtor, it's worth your time to check with another.

• ganstar
  • Veteran

• November 06, 2009, 02:16:52 pm
    • busan
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:19:44 am »
Well you were lucky your co was so helpful. I am going to organise my own place in the new year and no one is going to help me. "It would be easier if you just stayed where you are", is the attitude here. Anyway can anyone advise on important contract related things. What do we need to know/do/ask?

Someone mentioned in another thread something about deposit insurance the landlord has to sign, this is important if they go bust. Any other ins and outs?