Read 3057 times

• bisp13
  • Adventurer

• June 14, 2010, 01:21:25 pm
Why is the KCNA website blocked in South Korea?
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:26:03 pm »
Does anyone know why The Korean Central News Agency's (the one and only news agency in N. Korea) website is blocked in South Korea?  It is published online in English, Russian, Spanish, and Korean and can be accessed in just about any country except South Korea.  The only two articles I could find just mention that the site is blocked in South Korea.  They do not cite anyone in government giving any reason why the site is blocked.  Just curious...I figured the recent passing of Capt. Dips*** might make for an interesting read. 

• bisp13
  • Adventurer

• June 14, 2010, 01:21:25 pm
Re: Why is the KCNA website blocked in South Korea?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:32:34 pm »
Thanks.

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »
Does anyone know why The Korean Central News Agency's (the one and only news agency in N. Korea) website is blocked in South Korea?  It is published online in English, Russian, Spanish, and Korean and can be accessed in just about any country except South Korea.  The only two articles I could find just mention that the site is blocked in South Korea.  They do not cite anyone in government giving any reason why the site is blocked.  Just curious...I figured the recent passing of Capt. Dips*** might make for an interesting read.

If you really *must* see what they could say there are various ways around this

1)  Anonymous proxy
2)  Have someone in the states look at the site and forward you what they say.
3)  And so forth.

Personally I don't think whatever KCNA has to say would be worth going through all that trouble.   But I guess to each his own.

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 04:02:02 am »
Attached is a screen grab of the recent articles, which ones interest you?  They really aren't very interesting.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:44 am »
Attached is a screen grab of the recent articles, which ones interest you?  They really aren't very interesting.

"Widow of former S. Korean President expresses deep condolences"? Despicable. I wonder if it was Gim Dae-jung or No Mu-hyeon's wife? I wouldn't have thought No Mu-hyeon's missus would have had time to to kiss a dead dictator's ass, what with counting all the money her husband embezzled. 

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:02:07 am »
Attached is the article, not much to it!
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:14:41 am »

"Widow of former S. Korean President expresses deep condolences"? Despicable. I wonder if it was Gim Dae-jung or No Mu-hyeon's wife? I wouldn't have thought No Mu-hyeon's missus would have had time to to kiss a dead dictator's ass, what with counting all the money her husband embezzled.

Troll much?

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:59 am »
Attached is the article, not much to it!

Thanks. Turns out it was Gim Dae-jung's wife.

Troll much?

I happen to think that expressing condolences for the death of a tyrant who a) enslaved his own people and b) murdered some of your countrymen is wrong. I also think that running for office on a virulently racist, dictator-appeasing ticket, passing yourself off as a common-man-done-good president, embezzling as much money as you can get your fat mitts on and then throwing yourself off a mountain so your family can keep the spoils is wrong.

If that's trollish, rent me a bridge to hide under: because if so I'm happy to be a troll.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:03:46 am by Peekay1982 »

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:00 pm »
Hello!  This is a friendly moderator reminder to please STAY ON TOPIC.

This thread's topic: 

Does anyone know why The Korean Central News Agency's (the one and only news agency in N. Korea) website is blocked in South Korea?

Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• bencrow
  • Adventurer

• January 17, 2011, 10:39:43 am
    • Gangwon-do, ROK
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:24:06 pm »
If you really *must* see what they could say there are various ways around this

1)  Anonymous proxy
2)  Have someone in the states look at the site and forward you what they say.
3)  And so forth.

Personally I don't think whatever KCNA has to say would be worth going through all that trouble.   But I guess to each his own.

A quick way to do this is:

1.) Use http://Ztunnel.com, or a similar site (there are A through Z).  A web proxy service, I believe this is often used in China to go around the firewall there. The downside is these sites have a grip of annoying pop-up adds and junk.

2.) Use Tor, http://www.torproject.org/ , this method isn't as quick but if you are handy with computers you can use this program (an onion router) to make your connection anonymous. Tor will make websites load much slower (usually) however because your connection is being routed through different countries around the world before accessing a website.

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm