Read 1260 times

• sordini
  • Waygookin

• September 04, 2011, 02:34:44 pm
Criminal Background Check FROM Korea?
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:11:53 am »
Hello all,

I am in the process of applying for some other teaching jobs that require a Background Check from South Korea.  I've tried to search these forums and talk to my Korean co-workers, but no one seems to know what to do.  I found this form to fill out online:

http://can-ottawa.mofat.go.kr/eng/am/can-ottawa/visiting/criminal/index.jsp

I am from the United States and the above link is for a Canadian citizen.  So is it possible to just mail in the form?  Do I need to get an "authorization stamp" from the U.S. consulate before I even try to get a background check?  The nearest city that offers the background check is about 40 minutes away in Yongin.  It would be easier for me to just mail in the application form, but I don't want to run into the situation where it's incorrect and I have to do it all over again.

Does anyone know the process for getting a background check from South Korea?  What forms should I bring?  Do I need to make photocopies of documents?  Does anyone know a good police station that is open late AND speaks English?  Do those even exist?

Thanks.

• trava_illa
  • Waygookin

• September 16, 2013, 12:02:57 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Criminal Background Check FROM Korea?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:38:34 pm »
For the fingerprints - I just did this yesterday. Go to Jongno Station to get it done.

Take the orange line to Anguk Station (Exit 1). For reference, there is a Starbucks to your right immediately upon exiting. Look across the street - there is a large police station with gates. Go through those gates and head up to the fourth floor. Turn right and you will see a door that says "investigations" on it (forgot the full name, sorry). Go in there and they will help you, it took less than ten minutes. Hope this helps someone!

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:41 am »
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258

You need this FBI fingerprint card because you're American. Bring two copies to your local police station. Any competent CSI officer will have experience fingerprinting ESL teachers. Just make sure the correct finger goes in the correct box when you review the card.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:59 am »
If you mean a domestic criminal background check from within Korea, it's actually pretty easy and simple to get. Just go to any big police station, tell them what you need (perhaps have a Korean friend/acquaintance write down a note for you explaining what you need in Korean, or have the Korean friend/acquaintance accompany you to help translate), and they'll give it to you. All you need to bring is your ARC and I think your passport, too (doesn't hurt to bring that, too, just to be safe). It's free and quick -- when I got mine done a few years ago, the whole process took no more than 5 minutes.