Read 4162 times

• kiraaso
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 08:28:42 am
    • korea
What Christmas songs do Koreans know?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:03:30 pm »
What are some Christmas songs or winter songs Koreans know? 

I'm singing a Christmas song medly for my morning English broadcast, so I want to include some Christmas songs students are familiar with.  I heard some 6th grades playing Silent Night on their recorders, so they know that song for sure.  If it's a song that's translated into Korean, that's fine, as long as they can recognize the melody, I'll sing it!

Thanks!

Re: What Christmas songs do Koreans know?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:44 pm »
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Jingle Bell
Silent Night
Vincent: What'cha mean walk the earth?
Jules: You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »
Mariah Carey, All I Want for Christmas. Play the first few chords and watch eyebrows go up in recognition.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »

I think I can hear 'Santa Claus is coming to town' coming from our music room pretty often.

• detunedkorea
  • Adventurer

• November 08, 2011, 12:29:00 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »
'Rudolph the red now reindeer' is a popular song that most Koreans know in Korean.  Just start singing the tune and your kids will sing along

• Seoulian
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 08:09:40 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:47 pm »
Most of the students will know all of the popular songs as mentioned. They generally learn these songs at hagwon and also they play them at the store. I heard a recording of a Korean girl singing "Jingle Bell Rock" at Daiso last week, it was hilarious and super cute. They definitely know the Mariah Carey song. I also think Cascada's "last christmas remix" was played a lot here last year. Some of the girls know about Justin Bieber too.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »
I would add 'O Christmas Tree' to the list.  I thought I was going to have to teach my students three Christmas songs I had picked out for class today, but many of them already knew Jingle Bells, I Wish You a Merry Christmas and O Christmas Tree.  I was a bit surprised but happy.  It was fun.  I'm thinking of adding Frostie the Snowman to the mix as well. 

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:16:36 am »
WHAM's 'Last Christmas.' 

I kid you not, my boyfriend and I heard this THREE TIMES IN A ROW at the GS Supermarket Wednesday.  First was the original, second was an all-English cover, and third was a Korean version with the English chorus.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:25:03 am »
haha! Anything that Mariah Carey covered, good laugh hearing them trying to cover the range  :laugh:

• PaulPTFC
  • Adventurer

• July 05, 2010, 02:29:44 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:05:44 am »
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is definitely the favourite in my school.
www.thealienbank.co m - Foreign restaurant reviews in Seoul and Gyeonggi.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »
I found out today that one of my students knew The Twelve Days of Christmas and some of my students also knew Frosty the Snowman. 

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:16:04 pm »
glad other teachers are singing christmas songs in class.

i sing santas coming to town in class. my kids know the others but you need to practice with them a bit beforehand

• tealeeds
  • Adventurer

• January 20, 2011, 10:46:34 am
    • yangsan
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:39 am »
i did Slade's - Merry Christmas Everyone with my mixed-age group advanced class... Gave a lyric sheet and each line had one word  missing bar the first letter of the word

played the sing twice without lyrics, then once with lyrics on the board... Then we read thorugh it and playd through singing it... Some lvoed it, some hated it (mostly the older 6th graders)... Was worth it for the final rendition where some livelier kids were dancing and belting out teh chorus!

• kiraaso
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 08:28:42 am
    • korea
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »
Thanks, everyone!

I taught my students "Santa Claus is coming to town" today and "Feliz Navidad"  I don't think any students already knew how to sing it.  Feliz Navidad is pretty easy to teach, the only phrases you need to teach are:
1. Feliz Navidad
2. Prospero ano y felicidad (This line is pretty difficult)
3. I wanna wish you a merry christmas from the bottom of my heart

Here's the master list:
Merry Christmas, Everyone
Twelve Days of Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Last Christmas
O Christmas Tree
Jingle Bells
We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Jingle Bell Rock
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
All I want for Christmas
Feliz Navidad

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:40:40 am »
No, I want to say thank you.   I taught four Christmas songs this year from this list and this topic has been very helpful and FUN.

• Steps
  • Waygookin

• December 19, 2011, 10:59:54 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 08:33:10 am »
I know the holiday has already passed... but Koreans seem to love Last Christmas.  I swear, it's the only Christmas song I've heard.