Read 3137 times

• girandola
  • Adventurer

• September 28, 2010, 12:11:15 pm
    • Seoul
Circumlocution / describing things lesson ideas??
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:32 am »
Hey all, I'm currently designing a circumlocution / describing things lesson for a range of middleschoolers (all grades and levels) and am looking for ideas. Since I'll be technically making a lot of variations on the lesson to fit ability levels, a range of ideas or activities definitely helps. Basically, I want to give the students tools to describe things in English even if they don't know the name of it (motorcycle helmet, emery board, clothes hanger, etc...all that good stuff). A friend of mine had a lesson like this in a highschool Spanish class and said it was the most helpful of the year.

So, any ideas on ways to present vocab / vocab to focus on / activities / worksheet ideas / etc.? Thanks all :)

Re: Circumlocution / describing things lesson ideas??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:26 am »
Charades

catchphrase

they can act out and try to explain with words, while not allowing to say the word.

i had 2 lists of words. with random vocab - but I'm sure you could do it with a more specific lesson.

they tell them to go through the list without saying the word.

=)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:56 pm »
I do a game often that involves this concept.  It's called 'two chair.' 

You set up two chairs (or however many teams you want with 1 chair per team) in front of and facing away from a board. 

Then one person from each team sits in the chair and you write a word (from a lesson or random word) on the board. 

The team needs to use only words to get their person on the chair to say the word written on the board. 

It's not exactly what you were looking for but it  could be worked into the end of a lesson.

• girandola
  • Adventurer

• September 28, 2010, 12:11:15 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:36:53 am »
Thanks for the suggestions :) This is what I came up with:
First I handed out the vocab handout and ran through the PPT. Then, for the first activity I had the students get in teams and write down 10 everyday items on pieces of paper. Those pieces of paper went into a big bag from which we would play a guessing game. One member of each team took turns coming to the front of the room, picking pieces of paper from the bag and describing the items to their classmates. Each team has one minute to guess as many as they can. In some cases, I knew I wouldn't have enough time to let them write their own so I also pre-made some words.
In the PPT attached, there's a blank slide in the middle differentiating between the material I covered in on the first and second days. I started the second day with a review and then played a type of bingo. Each student got a bingo *VULGAR/Censored* with pictures of objects the students hopefully don't know the English names of and a laminated card with one of the names. They had to walk around the room describing the objects to their classmates and trying to find out the names. They could only tell people the English name of the object on their card, and had to get two bingos to win. Worked out pretty well :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:44:00 pm by naomio »