Read 2125 times

• unknownx
  • Veteran

• May 31, 2011, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
It seems like everyone wants to look like a Korean....
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeAsmlpMjg&feature=player_embedded

"The influence of South Korean culture has spread across Asia and now the country is attracting a new kind of tourist seeking more than the average souvenir. They want to go home resembling the beautiful Korean celebrities they have seen on the screen.
Student Christina Wu made the trip from China, for a visit to Seoul's "King of cosmetic surgery". Dawn Lake reports."

^The stereotype of "all asians look the same" is actually becoming true.

Re: It seems like everyone wants to look like a Korean....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 03:29:02 pm »
I agree with unknownx.  There are lots of 'naturally' beautiful koreans, but a growing number of them are not natural.  In fact, if you watch korean tv, it's a sad fact that almost every actor/actress you see in commercials all have those exact "features" you mentioned. 

In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »
A lot of people from different Asian countries do come to Korea to get plastic surgery done, it's no secret.  I think a lot of this is because Korea has a thriving and comparatively cheap plastic surgery industry--they've got a reputation for being able to deliver the goods on this.  And yes, Korean celebrities are very popular in China and southeast Asia.  It's not quite the same as people wanting to look ethnically Korean, in my opinion, as much as liking the way plastic surgery is done here.

I don't think Korea is overestimating its influence in Asia at all.  They are definitely cool kids on the continent right now.  I think some of their marketing and advertizing bigwigs misrepresent their cultural influence/fame in Western countries, particularly the U.S. and the rest of the Anglosphere.  That observation certainly does not mean I hate this country.    :)   

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:51 pm »
^The stereotype of "all asians look the same" is actually becoming true.

Heh…. I actually had a debate on plastic surgery with some of my higher levels and this was one of the points that they made.

When we started the debate almost all of them wanted to be on the 'plastic surgery is a good thing' side, but in the end I think the 'bad thing' side won (I helped)… so hopefully they feel more confident about looking like themselves now.

I doubt it, though.

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
"It seems like everyone wants to look like a Korean...."

:laugh:

From a recent article in the NY Times titled "In South Korea, Plastic Surgery Comes Out of the Closet":

One consequence of the boom is that young women look increasingly alike, doctors say. “They come in with photos of starlets whose face they want to copy,” Dr. Park said.

“Koreans agree on what constitutes a pretty face,” he said. “The consensus, now, is a smaller, more sharply defined youthful face — a more or less Westernized look. That makes 90 percent of Koreans potential patients because they’re not born with that kind of face.”

Not everyone is happy with this development.

The film director Im Kwon-taek says it has become all but impossible to find an actress who still has a traditional Korean face. “They all have that surgery to have their eyelids scrolled up,” he said. “What kind of eye is that?”
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.