Read 4399 times

• beccaraella
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2010, 07:50:30 pm
    • South Korea
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question as I haven't been able to find any information on it...
I'm teaching in a really really small rural town in gangwon, which wasn't what I wanted when I applied for the epik program (I originally wanted a metropolitan position) but it's been ok so far. There aren't many buses to and from the town and my apartment isnt great, there aren't many local amenities and all the other teachers in the area are placed in the next city which is a half hour drive away. Despite this my schools are pretty decent and I really love the kids I teach, so I've been pretty happy so far and always try to be positive about my situation! However the only other teacher in the town has just found out she wont be having her contract renewed come the new school year in february, which means i will be the only native teacher here, and i am feeling pretty apprehensive about, and worried for the next 6 months after she leaves how well I will cope being in such a remote place.
So my question is this; has anyone heard of it being possible to transfer schools half way through an epik contract (6 month mark) and at the new semester? I am thinking about asking the possibility of transferring schools and moving to the next city where the other teachers are and local amenities etc. I don't know if it is allowed/had been done before, or whether it would cause too much difficulties for the schools involved? Any advice anyone can offer would be fantastic :)

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
Instead of transferring schools, could you speak to your school about your problems with your living situation?  Perhaps they could move you to a more populous place or at least a little closer to the next city.  Explain your concerns in a polite way, and maybe they will be able to help find you a new place (if the current leasing arrangement allows for it) that's a little closer to where you would like to be.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Or you could wait and see if EPIK places a new teacher there in February. I don't know if you can ask if they were planning to (or if they would tell you) but they do bring in teachers every six months.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• claire
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2010, 08:45:06 am
    • Korea
My friend had this exact same problem (also in Gangwon-do) and she asked to transfer to a larger town in the same county after the 1st Semester.  She was told no by the area co-ordinator, who said it was not possible and would cause far too much hassle and paperwork :-(

I sympathise with your situation as I'm rural too...

I guess you could still ask - there's no harm in asking?  If you have to stick around there, the only advice I could give is maybe try and look into some hobbies around the area - you'll be surprised about what's on offer, even in small towns.  In the small towns around here there are dance classes, music lessons and taekwondo.  I also did a couple of online courses to give me something to focus on.

A couple of people around here also bought cheap motorbikes/scooters so that they could easily get to the bigger towns...

Hope that helps in some way.  Good luck!

• beccaraella
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
hmm, i already tried to move at the start of my contract to the next city, they were willing to help however its really difficult with the bus schedule to get to and from school at the right times (like a 2 or 3 hour wait after the end of school), so in the end i decided against it.
they aren't going to place another new teacher at the school because the school has opted out of the epik program completely. eeeeeek!

• beccaraella
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
thanks for your advice! hmmm i know there might be no chance but your right there is no harm in asking! if i cant move then i will just put up with it for six months! im lucky because i never really spend the weekends theres as i usually visit friends in seoul and im a pretty good time-filler during the weekday evenings (movies/gym/blog/reading etc!), but would like to enjoy my last 6 months in korea more if i can :)

• Katherine84
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2010, 12:07:22 pm
    • Buan-gun, Korea
Hi, I don't know if this is any help, but I'm in a similar situation to you - I teach in a rural school in a small, small village in Jeollabuk-do. It has a population of about 300 and no other English speakers/ transport out of the village at night. It's very isolated and although I love my school and my students, it has all got too much for me (I've been here 3 months). I like Korea, and didn't want to bail out and so I asked for a transfer, and was really surprised that it has been granted - so I am moving to a much bigger town at the 6 month mark. My principal has been surprising flexible and kind about it all, and whilst my co-teacher isn't thrilled, I have tried my best to explain to her the reasons for my leaving and everyone seems ok with it now. I just wanted to let you know that it is worth trying and hopefully you will be lucky and they will offer you a move!
Good luck!

• beccaraella
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
hey katherine, thanks for posting! wow, good to know it is possible and glad you got the move!
just was wondering who did you speak first to for it to happen? your school or your district coordinator?

• Katherine84
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2010, 12:07:22 pm
    • Buan-gun, Korea
Thank you! I'm glad I can give some encouragement, as I felt the same as you - I'd always just read that this wasn't possible! I spoke to my co-teacher first, who then spoke to the principal and he made the request to the coordinator at the Jeollabuk-do Office. The principal has been really good about it, and I think he could see how isolated I was and how it affected me! So, maybe speak to your co-teacher/principal first and see how they react? I hope you manage to get your transfer and let me know if you need any more advice! Good luck, and be brave!