Read 3471 times

• ejmclaine
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 12, 2010, 03:25:08 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Public School Contract Extension
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:33:38 pm »
I'm just wondering if anyone has extended their contract in a public school position for less than a year. I know of a teacher who did this last year but my teacher is saying it's impossible. Anyone know?

• Nukrain
  • Adventurer

• October 17, 2010, 07:32:45 pm
    • Swaggerville
Re: Public School Contract Extension
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »
As far as I'm aware, it's up to the school provided the teacher is upfront and honest
about renewing with them.  If the school is fine with it then their contract can be
renewed for less than year. 

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:29:19 pm »
Yeah, you can get a contract for less than a year if your school wants to give it to you. The only trouble you might find is finding a place for less than a year. I know someone that wanted to stay for just 6 months. Her school was okay with it but was having a hard time finding a place for her. They managed to find her something but at the last minute, the landlady (?) changed her mind and said no. In the end, she went had to go home.
Not sure if every landlord/lady will say no but I think that would be a bigger challenge for you and your school if you wanted to stay for less than a year.

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »
The way I understand it, it's impossible.  Since it is, your best option would be to let your school know upfront that you will stay for only six months, and then sign the 1-year contract.  If you're concerned about breaking your contract, ask your District Coordinator if you think its possible to get a letter of release for leaving early.
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:11:46 pm »
it's possible to do this, but totally at the discretion of your principle. the native teacher before me stayed 18 months with no problems, but a friend of mine just tried to get the same and was shot down. maybe ask your co-teacher to set up a meeting with the VP or the principal and you can appeal to them in person, instead of your co-teacher just saying 'impossible'.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »
There is hope...I was granted a 4 month extension in lieu of a year.  Back in May, I wanted to renew but not for a third year.  I was mainly looking into staying just so I could stick around for my fiance during the holiday season (his contract finishes in February).  I have always tried to keep a good rapport with my school by giving my Principal and VP little notes (in korean) expressing my gratitude, or even going in their offices every morning to say hello.  Anyway, when the time came to renew I told them my reasons for wanting to leave earlier.  So they took my work ethic/discipline and my track record into consideration, and finally (maybe reluctantly ::)) granted me the extension that I wanted.  So to answer the OP, it is possible...with just a little finesse and diplomacy...and maybe a couple dozens Krispy Kreme donuts as a sign of thanks. ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »
If you do get an agreement, GET IT IN WRITING.  Your district rep (and all the Korean bureaucrats he or she works under) does not want to have to clean up the mess of an inconsistently-understood or utterly forgotten verbal agreement that goes against the usual contract. 

Your principal or vice-principal may make a special arrangement with you at their discretion.  They are perfectly entitled to say "no" when it comes to special requests.  Be professional and diplomatic.  If they agree to give you a special deal, GET IT IN WRITING.  Preferably in Korean and English. 

• jonpurdy
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2010, 01:42:50 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
A six month extension is certainly possible. However, (in my case) they refused to offer six months worth of vacation days or six months of renewal bonus.

For six months, you're financially better to sign a year contract and just resign after the first six months (giving notice during the 4th month). That way you get your extension, plus six months of vacation days and renewal bonus.

• kaymac
  • Super Waygook

• September 25, 2009, 03:53:47 am
    • Yeosu
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »
Every school is different. It may well be impossible with yours. My school was at first willing to grant me a two month extension but balked when I tried to make it five months. Than rather than let me stay for ten months (until the end of the coming next semester), which I thought was a good compromise, the local Education office weighed in and said "no, her options are till December or January 2012." To be fair, I still feel my timid co-teacher may have angered someone along the way and screwed up or miscommunicated my fairly logical request. Either way, I've now signed on for 16 months and will more than likely leave this coming July like I want, and just take the hit on the air ticket etc. Once you are over your six months (in my province at least), you no longer have to reimburse any of your Renewal allowance etc. so it's the best option at the moment. Good luck with your school. I'm reminded of the roketship comic about visa renewal- definitely sums it up!

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »
I'm just wondering if anyone has extended their contract in a public school position for less than a year. I know of a teacher who did this last year but my teacher is saying it's impossible. Anyone know?

what jon said above--i'd just re-sign for another year and quit after six months so you don't have to repay the renewal bonus.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:17:27 pm by daveyc18 »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• tanekim
  • Newgookin

• November 21, 2010, 06:45:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:50:07 am »

If the previous teacher don't fill his/her full year contract, the next teacher is supposed to make a contract for the rest period first.