Read 5788 times

Coteacher a tad upset over my lack of schedule?
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:31:19 am »
I think my coteacher is a tad frusturated. I am contracted to teach 22 hours/22 classes a week. rest in office.  well 1/2 my classes  were changed and essentially cancelled out. (the other coteacher took over completely. said he has to prep students for testing). Backstory: i live in the city, near seoul, and teach in a public funded school. my govt contract says 22 hours. anyway he told me the "next teacher here" (I leave in March) wont be allowed to do this, and he will drag them to his extra classes (coteacher) if that occurs. he is a very very nice man and actually good friend, i ust think he is perhaps a little jealious, not sure. the other coteacher (cancelled classes) has a hard time controlling the unruly students. that was part of the reason, I believe. he would never back me up on any enforcement of rules. High school here. And my coteacher even pushed the winter/summer vacation topic. he said that if I or next teacher are not sitting in our apartment during the 2 weeks deskwarming, the local govt may have an issue. I for one am very very tired of those threats. And these govt inspectors who supposedly come out to spy on us. I have yet to see one. And I love this: Who seriously thinks that in the dead of january some govt pencil pusher is really gonna drive all the way out to make sure some english teacher is really sitting in his home. What if we are out buying groceries? Will be be punished? These rules are insane and rediculous. Any similar experiences?

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
Re: Coteacher a tad upset over my lack of schedule?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:29 am »
It isn't your problem from what I read. You're doing what you're told. Don't sweat it, you're splitting soon anyway so who cares.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:41:20 am »
I haven't had a similar experience, but I can tell you to that your co-teacher, other than rating you at the end of the year, can't force you to do anything outside of your contract. It's usually just a power trip, since they aren't use to having power over anyone, except for students who listen 50 percent of the time. But realistically, just agree and nod to whatever bs he spills, if you want to renew with your program.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:24 am »
exactly. I have gotten to the point I really tired of it here. all the arbitraty rules put on us. and im told, (actually i leave in jan) with only 17 class days left...that I need to get another mandatory med exam. I am hiding and hope they dont call me on it. I already did my exam when I came, and I have a fear of needles. the arbitrary nonsense rules. yes...there is NO school (doors locked) from say jan 1-Feb 10). But you Must stay in your cold lonely apartment. Korean teachers get 4 or 6 weeks. The fact that we do nothing (aside from the possible camps that are paid) is rediculous. It seems to be one of those things they hold over our heads

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:36 am »
There was a teacher in my disctrict who got down to three scheduled lessons a week. He was at a combined middle and high school and it was pretty clear that the HS didn't want him. So he was basically getting a full-time salary for doing about 14% of the work specified in his contract. I could have gone over there and covered his lessons and still be within 22 most weeks. He finally contacted EPIK himself because he was so disgusted with the school's attitude towards him. Needless to say, he didn't get renewed.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:01:24 am »
You get to deskwarm in your apartment?  Must be nice.  My school is open during the vacation and if I'm not using my personal vacation I'm expected to be at school.  Is your situation common where you teach?  I've never heard of people having to stay in their apartment during that time.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:04:00 am »
there is NO school (doors locked) from say jan 1-Feb 10). But you Must stay in your cold lonely apartment. Korean teachers get 4 or 6 weeks. The fact that we do nothing (aside from the possible camps that are paid) is rediculous. It seems to be one of those things they hold over our heads

I'm really curious who is telling you that you have to stay in your apartment. It seems obvious to me that if you are no required to work, you can do as you please.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:09:02 am »
As I understand the GEPIK contract, 22 hours is the maximum amount we can be worked without having to be paid overtime--not a required number of minimum hours.  My first semester I taught 18 hours a week--they phased classes out so I only saw students every other week.  Now I teach 23/wk plus two after-school classes.  It's still not that bad but I realize how cake my job was back then!  But I was new to Korea and to teaching so in some ways, it was still more stressful and I appreciate that they broke me in slowly.  I didn't really pick up resentment from my co-teachers because they're all nice ladies, and because they knew I was new and adjusting and I don't think they really envy NETs for being so far from home, not speaking the language, etc. 

Anyway, January isn't very far away.  Smile, nod, and plan your next adventure, it's not worth getting too worked up over at this point.  And yes, lots of NETs here experience a sense of resentment from co-teachers for a host of different reasons (some of which we've been discussing on a few other threads on this site). 

• cinamon
  • Super Waygook

• May 18, 2010, 12:15:53 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:20:33 am »
I wish I could stay in my apartment to desk warm.  Unfortunately, I have to drag my behind through the cold each morning to go sit at my desk.  I don't mind, though.  I love being alone at school.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 11:20:40 am »
You get to deskwarm in your apartment?  Must be nice.  My school is open during the vacation and if I'm not using my personal vacation I'm expected to be at school.  Is your situation common where you teach?  I've never heard of people having to stay in their apartment during that time.

Me too... I had to come in all day and sit around. On the other hand, nobody checked up on me and the only indication that I was there at all was when I would come in and turn the power on for my office. I wasn't going to sit in a cold office with no power all day-- no way. It wasn't too bad... I did some planning/made worksheets and played Civilization.

I think I'd feel pretty awful if they felt like they needed to send someone to check in on me.

• Dosin
  • Newgookin

• August 26, 2011, 01:21:52 pm
    • Wuhan, China
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 11:37:23 am »
I work at a privitely funded school in china. I only have 20 teaching hours a week. Although I must sit around for an extra ten hours. If have to prepare a little for my classes. You know, if I want to change the lessen plan or try some interesting ideas. The TAs here have to work 50 hours a week and have to have their own classes and help the foreign teachers with their classes. They have to call the students parents every week and help me prepare for my classes. So I would definitely say that the TAs that I work with have some bad feelings towards the foreign teachers at my school. On the other side though, I have heard some of the other teachers in the city say that they would not have jobs if it were not for the foreign teachers. I dont know... I like the people I work with, but I am not sure that I would like their workload.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:44 pm »

Me too... I had to come in all day and sit around. On the other hand, nobody checked up on me and the only indication that I was there at all was when I would come in and turn the power on for my office. I wasn't going to sit in a cold office with no power all day-- no way. It wasn't too bad... I did some planning/made worksheets and played Civilization.

I think I'd feel pretty awful if they felt like they needed to send someone to check in on me.
I also enjoy desk-warming. I get to prepare everything during that time so that I can be lazy (i.e. post on Waygook) throughout the rest of the year. It's a huge stress-reliever. Instead of running around "pali, pali" all of the time you can just chill during the school year because you already have everything planned out.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• LemonWater
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 10:45:32 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:41 pm »
Yes, getting paid to sit at a computer, playing games, watching movies, reading books, sleeping, and doing whatever it is you fancy . . . . deskwarming truly is a sadistic torture devised by Koreans to punish the foreign teachers.  . . . I really wish I were working in a dirty factory with only two 15min breaks a day and a 30 minute lunch. I envy those lucky souls who are actually forced to work every minute that they are paid for. . .

Sarcasm aside, I am always confused by people complaining about deskwarming. . . The school is not breaking the contract. In fact, you are working less than the contract states. Most employees, who work normal jobs throughout the world, would kill for the opportunity.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »
yes...I am told "you must be in korea during those deskwarm days"...and i can travel on weekends. i live in a rural area, so not really too close to the city. and i have no reliable transit here. im in the middle of cabbage fields haha. true...we do get the salary. that is not the point. it is just messed up that you must be imprisoned during that time. it is a sadistic thing they pull on us. otherwise it would say "school ends dec 31. resumes feb 1" simple. i know I am sure we all complain too much. I am very fortunate I have a job, as we all should be. but still, its normal to nag. but considering some of the crap we get thrown at us...we earn the $ for sure.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »
and yes...I am well prepared to depart here in less than 60 days. Im meeting my wife in Vegas. have a few nights on the strip, then we have a wonderful weeklong cruise to the carribean, then back home. using all my savings here to go back to school and get my teaching license. i cant already taste that pina colada and juicy AMERICAN BEEF steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. No more kimchi!!!!! :)

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »
Deskwarming is ridiculous but I really enjoyed it over the summer. I definitely didn't do any work. If I'm working out of classes here I want to be seen to be working. Might aswell make those plans when other teachers are around

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:11 pm »
Yes, getting paid to sit at a computer, playing games, watching movies, reading books, sleeping, and doing whatever it is you fancy . . . . deskwarming truly is a sadistic torture devised by Koreans to punish the foreign teachers.  . . . I really wish I were working in a dirty factory with only two 15min breaks a day and a 30 minute lunch. I envy those lucky souls who are actually forced to work every minute that they are paid for. . .

Sarcasm aside, I am always confused by people complaining about deskwarming. . . The school is not breaking the contract. In fact, you are working less than the contract states. Most employees, who work normal jobs throughout the world, would kill for the opportunity.

Wait, who's complaining about desk warming?  Everyone here is talking about how awesome it is.  The OP is just saying it's sort of an empty threat to say someone's going to check to see if you're in your apartment, but to be fair I'm having a hard time understanding his post.  I also think he misunderstands what desk warming is (you're not doing it if you're at home...that's the opposite of desk warming). 

• GEK
  • Veteran

• January 20, 2011, 09:29:56 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
You sound paranoid.

Does the drug test cover schizophrenia?

• erufiku
  • Waygookin

• October 31, 2010, 12:06:10 am
    • Anyang, S. Korea
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:42 am »
yes...I am told "you must be in korea during those deskwarm days"

I guess they just want you to be available "just in case" something comes up.

While it's unfortunate, I can't say I feel for you public school FTs... two months a year you're basically not expected to do any work at all. I get 2 (two!) days off for my "winter vacation" and have to teach intensives twice a year (two months total), which basically means starting at 9-10am and finishing at 10pm.

As far as the schedule resentment goes... it's part of any work environment, I guess. At my hagweon Korean teachers complain that we get off a few hours early during the two weeks of middle-school exam preparation. However, they conveniently forget that right after said exam prep. period is over, the  FTs at our hagwon have a month of intensives to look forward to.

• IslandGook
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 04:18:49 pm
    • Jindo Island
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
Wait.  You are complaining about being paid to stay home?    :o

Did you just compare staying home between 9 and 5 to prison?   ???

STFU.