Read 2161 times

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Nice and intelligent Korean police officers
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:46:58 am »
Last week we arrived at a police station to get fingerprinted. We ended up at the wrong one so they call a cop car and personally take us to another station. They were super friendly and took their time with us even though their level of English was very low. Great experience.

I don't have a lot of experience with the po-po back home, but I once had a job where I'd regularly work with them. They were usually somewhat friendly, arrogant, but of average (or sometimes sub-average) intelligence.

The gym I go to always has off-duty cops at it and they're extremely nice. The police officers here seem to be a lot smarter and more iNtuitive (at least the ones I've met) than their American counterparts. Their intelligence shines through in their eyes, if that makes sense. Is that anyone else's experience? Something to do with a lot of competition to get in and being a high-status job here, maybe?
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
Re: Nice and intelligent Korean police officers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:51:36 am »
I've heard that getting into KNPU (Police University) is quite tough.  I don't think police officers in SA have to have a tertiary qualification - just a high school diploma - so knowing that police officers here are university educated does make a difference. 

I've also been impressed by the quality of service from officers both on the street and at the station where I was fingerprinted.  It took 9 of them to figure out how to fingerprint me and they called to another station to send over someone who spoke basic English to assist me better but the whole experience was better than back home - even if it took three times longer to do it  ;D

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:55 am »
I guess they are much the same as in any country, you get good ones and bad ones. Where I live in Seoul they are useless and wave with a friendly smile at the bus and taxi drivers that drive through red traffic lights.  They don't stop the suicidal motorbike delivery guys that virtually kill pedestrians at pedestrian crossing because they speed through the people.

So, as I said, it depends, some good, some bad just like any other country.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
I've had positive experiences and impressions of the police, too.
Now if they'd just enforce the bloody laws.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
I've had positive experiences and impressions of the police, too.
Now if they'd just enforce the bloody laws.

How is it you can have a positive impression of them if they don't enforce the laws (which you admit)? That is their job and if they don't do it (clearly they don't if you just see the way people drive here, to point out one aspect), so how can they create a positive impression? A person that does not do his job certainly doesn't create a positive impression with me. 
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:24:10 pm »
I've had positive [personal] experiences with the police.
As in they've been pleasant, helpful, approachable.
However, I don't think they do their job well.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »
I've had positive [personal] experiences with the police.
As in they've been pleasant, helpful, approachable.
However, I don't think they do their job well.

Right I agree with this.  They are helpful when needing directions and what not, but are basically glorified crossing guards.  I saw a taxi blow through the crosswalk when the light was red on Hagwon-Ga in Anyang at 10pm.  The police officer just chuckled.  I guess the traffic camera may have gotten him, but come on.....

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »
I've had mostly good run in's with the police but I did almost get a DUI from them.  I rinsed with Mouth wash and got stopped at a local check point.  It took me 20 minutes of hard argument and finally had to get a blood test to prove I wasn't drunk.  Nice way to spend 3 hours on Sunday night. 
Just a warning about using Listerine in Korea. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »
I've heard that getting into KNPU (Police University) is quite tough.  I don't think police officers in SA have to have a tertiary qualification - just a high school diploma - so knowing that police officers here are university educated does make a difference. 

I've also been impressed by the quality of service from officers both on the street and at the station where I was fingerprinted.  It took 9 of them to figure out how to fingerprint me and they called to another station to send over someone who spoke basic English to assist me better but the whole experience was better than back home - even if it took three times longer to do it  ;D
That makes sense. In other places in the developing world I've lived in people who want to join the po-po usually face strong competition. Intensive physical and intellectual exams. The cops I would talk with in the US joked about how easy it was to join the ranks. I'm curious as to how the situation is in Europe or other developed nations.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »
I live in a rural area and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the local policeman spoke better english than my co-worker!  I asked him what it's like being a cop in a small town and he said it was very busy.  I asked him how?  He replied, "people stealing onions or fruits".  I had to laugh.. :laugh: 

On a more somber note, anybody ever notice the missing persons board at a police station?  It's a big problem in Korea.  And many are kids.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »
The police here are really nice and seem to have a lot of common sense about police work.  They'll respond to a crime, but they don't seem to be looking for a reason to arrest everyone they see.  Back home in the States, I avoid the police like the plague.  It seems like they view all citizens as a potential criminal and treat them as such.  I love the US and think it's one of the best places in the world to live, but the police are absolutely out of control there.