Read 1593 times

Small talk and schmoozing
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:53:24 am »
Oh the terrible reality of workplace politics!  The short version of what I have to say is that the women I work with are just so unpleasant.  I am the only NET at my hagwon.  Things used to be pretty peachytil our boss hired a new Korean teacher who is a skilled Machiavellian troublemaker.  I have dealt with this by distancing myself from them, including physically.  I realize this must make them look bad because the backlash has been intense.  She managed to turn the other K teacher, a pretty sweet woman who used to be my friend, into a withc like her and they do pretty mean little things to me.  I realize the solution is to allow them to 'save face' and keep up the appearance of harmony which is so all important tot hem.  But at the end of the day I am averse to small talk and schmoozing, even under ideal circumstances.  It just goes against my nature.  But the days where I do manage to fake it til i make it are much much smoother.  I think it will be worth the effort but I can't help it, I resent it very much.  Does anyone have suggestions for keeping up these facades, are you good at it, how to keep myself motivated to do it when for me it takes great effort,?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
Re: Small talk and schmoozing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:55:44 am »
It sounds like you need to decide which is the lesser of two evils.  Do you find the schmoozing or the backlash from distancing yourself to be more tolerable...

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:23:33 am »
Your right Jozigirl, thank you.  And I had an epiphany.  It's my fault.  I have to have attitude of gratitude and play by their rules when I am in their country.  I'm rebooting my attitude and am up for the challenge.  Recovery never ends. I appreciate the chance to vent here

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:41:43 pm »
  "If you can't break the ice drown it", This is true in most parts of the world especially Korea. In fact in Korea alcoholism in after school parties is really encouraged. I'm not saying that you should go out with them and get fall down drunk. But a nice Samgyupsal meal with soju followed by singing at a norea bang has solved many very unpleasent office moods. On the other hand they might be very conservative Christains and then you are quite literally  in a sinking ship.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »
Hmm I have been totally sober for 3 years and 7 months and a few days so maybe that is part of their problem.  I turned down invitation to socialize from the start of the year.  And one time when we did go out I left early because all of the drinking games got too loud and relentless.  I didn't think they noticed.  Anyway Im leaving soon... whoo hoo!!