Read 2864 times

School Hours
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:47 pm »
I know our contract says we should not work more than 8 hours a day without extra pay.  My situation is i teach morning classes from 8:15-9:55.  So I get to school a little before 8.  I am told teachers do not leave before 4:40 pm.

I explained what it states in my contract to one of my younger new co-teacher and he said well maybe you can just leave around 4:30.  I explained how that is still more than 8 hours of work and it can really add up to some missed out extra cash.  He replied, "well this is how Korean teachers do." 

I know everyones stresses how we are not Korean teachers and do not have the same contract. 

So what I am wondering is do you think it is worth it to ask them to let me leave early or to pay me extra?  Or should I leave it be and not risk any negative feelings impacting a currently strong and positive relationship I have with my school.

What time do you arrive and leave school?

Comments welcomed.
Freedom is like farts... You enjoy yours but usually can't stand other's...

• Adobe
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2010, 11:58:50 am
    • G
Re: School Hours
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:17:06 pm »
8:30am-4:30pm.

However,at another two schools I have classes which run later, in one case till 6:30pm.  I only get payed for 2 of those three extra classes due to the logic being that my first class at that school starts at 9:45am.

Do you have to be in at 8am? Can you not come in at 8:30am?

I fail to see how you are missing out of 'extra cash' are you doing privates or do you want to be payed for the time your aren't teaching at your school? It isn't really worth making a big fuss over.

By all means ask to come in later or leave earlier but asking for extra pay?

Adobe

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:18:19 pm »
I'm here after 4:40 on a pretty regular basis.  Is there a particular reason why you want to leave earlier?  If it's not of great importance, then perhaps you can just attend to some personal business during the extra time you spend at school after your work is done (as many KTs and NSETs do).  Deskwarming with a smile is part of the unofficial job description for many teachers.  If you're teaching extra hours, then I'd say it is time to speak up. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:35:57 pm by teacher_del »

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »
8:30am-4:30pm.

However,at another two schools I have classes which run later, in one case till 6:30pm.  I only get payed for 2 of those three extra classes due to the logic being that my first class at that school starts at 9:45am.

Do you have to be in at 8am? Can you not come in at 8:30am?

I fail to see how you are missing out of 'extra cash' are you doing privates or do you want to be payed for the time your aren't teaching at your school? It isn't really worth making a big fuss over.

By all means ask to come in later or leave earlier but asking for extra pay?

Adobe

I do have to be there at 8:00 or a little before due to the before school class I teach.  It is not of great importance for me to leave early and I can leave early, 3-3:30, about once a month on days I need to go to the bank or what not. 

My main reason for posting this topic is I am curious about other teachers and want to know if it is uncommon for teachers to be asked to work an 8 and half hour day on a regular basis.

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
I usually get to my school around 8:15-ish and leave 4:30 mon & fri, 5:15 on tues-thurs because of after school classes. According to my paychecks I have not been getting paid extra for it, but my school is really cool and lets me do special things sometimes (for example -- the third grade went on a field trip to Woobang Tower Land in Daegu, and they let me go for free with the school plus gave me a meal pass) so I haven't brought it up.  For me, the extra two hours every week is worth having a really good relationship with my school/getting to do special things sometimes, ha ha.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 06:33:28 pm »
I agree, definitely worth it. It seems the biggest reason people have a hard time in Korea is because of the relationship they have with the school and teachers.   I feel my relationship is strong and positive.

• isanghan
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 01:47:38 pm
    • 경기도 안산시 상록구 이동 660-4번지 203호
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:40:23 am »
According to my contract, my working hours are 08:40 until 16:40. However, I have to go to Yonsei three nights a week, which involves making a 16:39 train to be there on time. As such, I talked to my principal and was allowed to adjust my hours so that I now can come by 08:30 and leave at 16:30. Although I usually come in by 08:00 to make sure I'm prepared.

I'd say, if it's causing a major inconvenience, then talk about it. Otherwise, just let it go.

• lion11
  • Adventurer

• July 19, 2010, 08:17:28 am
    • ansan, korea
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 10:48:19 am »
my hours are 8:15 to 4:30 on mondays and thursdays and 8:15 to 5:00 on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays.  i don't mind hanging out a little later.  My school is good to me and i like my co-teachers. 

• ajkhas1
  • Explorer

• October 18, 2010, 07:32:11 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
My "contract hours" are 8:30 to 4:30.  The school changed the hours to 8:20 to 4:20.  I usually arrive at me school between 7:45 and 8.  And stay until 4:25.  But this is purely because of the bus schedule.  My school asked me if I could work paid overtime after those hours.  When I declined they were fine with it.

I have asked my school to let me go to the bank when I have a "desk warming" class on pay days.  My co-teacher was fine with that and I would just run around the corner.  Ask if you can leave for a few minutes during work hours.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:42:18 am »
If you are GEPIK, your contract states that you will be paid a whopping 7,000 won per extra non-teaching hour. Since you're only working 40minutes over your 8 hours, I would say it's not really worth all the bother. Is your class everyday or just twice a week? Even if it's everyday you're probably only missing out on about 15-20 bucks by the time stuff gets taken out of it.

Now, if you are teaching over your 22 contract hours, then you have reason to fuss. Anything over that gets 20,000W (I think?). Hope you can sort it out!

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 11:51:54 am »
If you are GEPIK, your contract states that you will be paid a whopping 7,000 won per extra non-teaching hour. Since you're only working 40minutes over your 8 hours, I would say it's not really worth all the bother. Is your class everyday or just twice a week? Even if it's everyday you're probably only missing out on about 15-20 bucks by the time stuff gets taken out of it.

Now, if you are teaching over your 22 contract hours, then you have reason to fuss. Anything over that gets 20,000W (I think?). Hope you can sort it out!

I am with GEPIK as well. I do teach this class every morning, however it still puts me a couple hours below the 22 per week.  I agree, it is not worth it to make a fuss over.  Thanks for you opinion, makes me feel more comfortable with just letting it be.