Deleted.
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:30:25 am »
[note: deleted]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:57:07 am by #basedcowboyshirt »

• Setaro
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2011, 02:05:07 pm
    • Yangsan
Re: Lesson Planning: I've finally hit the wall. Minor rant enclosed.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:46:34 am »
Why not just download a PDF of some other ESL textbook/workbook and use the material in that? Photocopies/print outs are your friend.

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
exact same boat, except 6/6 of my coT dont participate in my class.
ive resorted to games for the last 5 weeks, but im running out of games.
i also started showing mr. bean episodes in class and just doing vocabulary from the episode.

i tried to just pay attention to whats trending w/ the students, and make lessons based on that. I did a Party Rock Anthem lesson. I'll probably make a starcraft lesson, and a steve jobs lesson, but i feel like im leaving the girls out....

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:54 am »
Why not just download a PDF of some other ESL textbook/workbook and use the material in that? Photocopies/print outs are your friend.

My school put the printer back on 'senior teacher only' status again, though. So that's no longer an option for me.

PPTs and my voice are the only materials I have to rely on for my main class. For my afterschool class I can make handouts since it's only 14 kids though.

Not my personal experience--I have the opposite problem of not being able to deviate from a boring textbook--but I'd be frustrated in your situation.  7-8 hours worth of stuff is a lot of material, and I honestly think there's only so many different games and "fun" topics you can cover before you start to hit that wall.  You're not the only person who has posted about lacking material/ideas, especially for after-school classes.   

One thing I've considered doing for after school classes--but haven't done yet--is just going and getting an English conversation book from a bookstore.  I've browsed through Kyobo's selection several times and have never found anything I felt was that amazing, but it could give you a resource to fall back on.  Most of them come with a CD for listening activities which I think could be helpful.  And even if you can't make enough handouts for an entire regular class, it could give you an outline or some kind of structure to base each week's lesson on--just having a topic and some basic target language upon which to build is helpful.  Creativity is great, but I've learned here that in work situations, at least, I'm most creative when there's some kind of structure in place instead of things being just a free-for-all, jumping from topic to topic each week without building on previous knowledge.  That's really mentally disorganizing.

Hopefully others will have more helpful personal experience.  Good luck!  :)

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:59:14 am »
I hate after school classes man. I make one or two lesson plans a week. If I were you, I'd just find a new school. That's just ridiculous unless you're getting compensated much more.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:04:20 pm »
For after school classes, these animation lessons are absolute gold.  Overall, I probably spend about 15 minutes preparing.  Very easy.

If you have a lot of freedom, then you can use some after-school material in normal classes.  Don't re-invent a 45 minute class.....just use 20 minutes of new material (from the book), and then tack on an abbreviated after school lesson. 

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »
I have this problem, but yours looks more intense.  Just off the top of my head topics you may have not covered (though sounds like it might already have been).  Going further into super heroes/comics: Marvel vs. Capcom, or DC vs. Mortal Kombat.  Maybe you can create some stories from the games that may be interesting; though this might be geared more towards the boys.  Teach them some new games, I used this dot game and the students loved it.  Have to create a box using 4 lines to score a point. PM for better explanation. I did a lesson with the difference of animal noises.  Compared to what people use as a sound in Philippines, Korea and US. While that's not a huge list, hopefully one may be useful or spark some ideas.