Read 2127 times

American passport renewal
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions for those that have done a renewal in Korea. I don't have the time to make the trip to Seoul to drop off my passport, so I've looked it up online and it said i can send it in. My questions are:

1. How long does it take to issue a new passport?
2. Do I get my old one back with it?
3. Will I have any problems reentering Korea without the old visa sticker in my new passport?
4. I have to pay the fee at a bank. Is that done in $US dollars? Will they convert it for me?

I'm hoping to send it in next week. Will I get it back by Christmas?

Thanks....And, Happy Turkey Day to all :)

On a different note, if i decide not to renew my passport before I extend my stay in Korea, will Korea immigration allow me to extend my e-2 visa if my passport will expire a day before my contract ends? Will they allow me to extend my e-2 visa with the assumption that i will renew my passport before it expires to cover the length of my contract?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:00:53 pm by tokkibunni »

• tfung31
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 10:59:20 am
    • Busan, South Korea
Re: American passport renewal
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
im also interested in these questions

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »
I can answer question number 3.

No.

Your visa in your passport is to get you into Korea for the first time.  After that your ARC is your visa.  But, you must fax a copy of your new passport to Immigration with a form you can download from their website.  That way, your ARC and passport number will still match when you leave and return.

Actually, regarding question number 2, I renewed a non-US passport whilst in Korea.  My country doesn't want the old one, and I didn't have to send it for renewal.  They sent me a red sticker to stick on the old one and told me to snip about 1cm from the corner of the old passport to show it was expired.  Your rules may be different.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 02:35:45 pm »
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_us_passports.html

Thanks, but was there before I posted this. Doesn't address any of my specific questions.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »
1. Mine took less than two weeks from the time I sent it off.
2. Yes, it will be sent with your new passport.
3. No, but you should let immigration know that you renewed because you'll have a new passport number.  Call 1345 and explain the situation.  They will email you the form and you can fax it to them.
4. You can pay in USD or Korean Won.  When I renewed mine last year, it was 60,000 won or $50 USD.  You'll need to contact the embassy to find out if that has changed.

• mikkilrod83
  • Adventurer

• March 17, 2011, 05:58:27 pm
    • Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 03:01:16 pm »
1. Mine took less than a week, but that's because I dropped it off in person at the embassy. Getting it back by the courier service took about 5 days, so if you use the pick up as well, it should take about 2 weeks.
(By the way, I tried to schedule a pickup but they were too busy as it was during Seolnal period when I did it that's why I had to go in person.)

2. Yes, they will send you the old passport with the cancellation stamp and the bar code cut off.

3. No, the sticker doesn't matter. It's the date on your ARC that they check when you go through customs at the airport. However, I agree with Jeff619 about notifying Korean Immigration about the change in your passport number just in case.

4. I got a money order because I didn't know how much it would be in won. However, I believe the renewal fee was $110 not $50. At least that's what I paid for mine, and that's what I was told at the cashier window.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:26:19 pm »
Regarding #3, it's not 'just in case'.  You have to tell immigration of your new passport number within 14 days.  If not, you can be fined.