Read 3158 times

• derekc
  • Adventurer

• October 06, 2010, 02:09:44 pm
    • South Korea
Teaching On My Own in Public School
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:48:07 pm »
Hi guys,

This week one of my co-teachers is "very busy" and so she wants me to teach some of the classes on my own. I don't mind doing this, in fact I think it will be good for me, but I'm wondering if there are any legal problems that could arise from this?

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
Re: Teaching On My Own in Public School
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:38 pm »
As far as I'm aware, there are no legal problems with this.

I was teaching Grade 2 conversation classes (during the day, not afterschool) alone. I had 3 classes a week I had to prepare and teach alone.

As long as your school is happy for you to be teaching alone, and your co-teacher is comfortable and confident you can handle it, then its fine.

I guess, if you're a trained teacher in your home country, they're more likely to ask you to teach alone more often.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• derekc
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »
I remember from orientation - I think - that if we were asked to teach on our own we could refuse. But I probably just confused myself.

• Bittens5
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 08, 2010, 12:14:01 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »
I was teaching a class a week on my own and my school was ok with it.  But when supervisors (from the district?  other schools?  idk) found out during an open class they made a big deal about it and said it was strictly not allowed. 

That being said, I liked teaching the class by myself, and wish I could still do it.  So if you're school is ok with it, I would do it.  It's not like you'll be the one to get in trouble for it if anything happens...

• Jeffery2k
  • Waygookin

• May 28, 2010, 11:03:39 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »
We were told by our MOE directly that we are NEVER suppose to be a lone while teaching.

• taro
  • Waygookin

• June 14, 2010, 06:20:30 am
    • Seo-gu, Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 06:52:12 pm »
According to a fellow public school teacher who teaches in different city, we are legally not allowed to teach alone during the school day. Why? We're not certified teachers. A certified teacher needs to be in the room for classes.

IDK if that's the truth but that makes sense.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
We are not supposed to be teaching alone during regular school hours. So a before or after school class alone is just fine.

That said, it's going to happen. For me, it happens A LOT. I mean almost 50% of the time, some weeks nearly 100%. Maybe they feel sick, or they are busy, blah blah. I don't care, because they just sit there in the classroom anyway. I do all the teaching solo.

No, you will not be in trouble for doing this. If you refuse to do this, you will likely be in trouble. If you anger your school and they have it in for you, that about does it.

• derekc
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:30 am »
Yea, like I said I don't mind it. I'm a trained elementary school teacher anyway so I guess it's not going to be a big deal. Just wanted to check with the experts. ;)

• kingzoot
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2010, 10:00:19 pm
    • jinju
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:33 am »
I think the new contract we signed (EPIK) now has some mention of us teaching alone if necessary. Not 100% sure of that though.
Either way, the need to teach alone will often come up (not surprising when you consider how snowed under some of the teachers are at school) and it is a good idea to have a few ideas on the backburner for when you are told 2 minutes before the class is supposed to begin.

• jonpurdy
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2010, 01:42:50 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:59 pm »
I've heard that teaching alone is illegal during regular classes. However, the definition is fairly stretched. You're supposed to be supervised, so if the co-teacher shows up for the first minute, or doesn't show up and just checks your lesson plan or whatever is fine.

Basically, if you're okay with it don't worry about the legal issues.

• erth0301
  • Adventurer

• July 17, 2010, 09:56:40 am
    • Osan, Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:48:38 pm »
I'm teaching alone as well, but the homeroom teachers are present during all my lectures. Do you think it would be wise to ask for some sort of compensation as I've been teaching alone for a month almost...  >.< Such a complicated situation.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »
I am at small rural scools and always teach on my own and do not have a co teacher, it was hard at first but have now got used to it although it is a lot of extra work but this site has saved me.