Read 5298 times

Leaving contract one month early...any words of wisdom?
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
Hey everyone!
I've been in Korea for a while now and I now live in Seoul.  A couple weeks ago I had a traumatic and dangerous experience happen and I want to leave my contract one month early to get out of Seoul asap and move on with my life.  I understand that I will lose my severance and plane ticket, which is fine because its only money.  My safety and peace of mind are more important.  My director is aware of the situation and has agreed to let me go early.
I want to get another job in another city in Korea.  I'm aware that I need a letter of release for the immigration office.  Is there anything else?
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom~~

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Re: Leaving contract one month early...any words of wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:10 pm »
You need to do a visa run if you're switching employers, I believe, unless that's changed.

What makes you think another city in Korea will be better/safer than Seoul? 

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »
Hey everyone!
I've been in Korea for a while now and I now live in Seoul.  A couple weeks ago I had a traumatic and dangerous experience happen and I want to leave my contract one month early to get out of Seoul asap and move on with my life.  I understand that I will lose my severance and plane ticket, which is fine because its only money.  My safety and peace of mind are more important.  My director is aware of the situation and has agreed to let me go early.
I want to get another job in another city in Korea.  I'm aware that I need a letter of release for the immigration office.  Is there anything else?
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom~~

Really?  What a surprise that is  ::)

You asked for some words of wisdom: You're leaving 5,000,000 won on the table for not sticking it out another month.  My condolences.

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:35:58 pm »
'My director is aware of the situation and has agreed to let me go early.'

I bet he agreed

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »
My words of wisdom are "What?  Are you crazy?"

Stick it out for one more month and use the time to find another gig.

I can't think of anything bad in Seoul that you aren't going to find anywhere else in Korea.

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »
ya, just like above, my words of wisdom are: suck it up for another month. 5mil....damn.

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
This thread made me lol! That is a lot of money, but I understand your safety is more important.

What makes you think another city will be safer, you can get in trouble anywhere.  How major was the incident are the police or your embassy worth informing?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeonggi
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
On second though, if the OP was assaulted or has been stalked and the perp is still loose, changing locations could be a way to protect herself.  It would suck hardcore to be in a position where that was necessary in the last month of your contract though, but I can imagine scenarios where I'd do the same thing. 

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »
Your totally right woman king, but if that is the scenario she should contact the police.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• luckyno12
  • Explorer

• November 22, 2011, 09:23:41 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:16:42 pm »
I hope you got all your paperwork in order, or you'll be chillin at home for a few months before you can come back.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:25 am »
No offense to these 'you are crazy for leaving' types here, but your personal safety matters more than money. As she mentioned before, she understands clearly that she is leaving money on the table. Lets keep the comments constructive.

As for advice, don't forget to hand in your ARC when you leave the country.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:51:36 am by minamteacher »

• odie
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:15:10 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:05:46 am »
I understand you are scared and you want to go. I would be feeling the same way!

An alternative you might think about is using that last month to crash with a friend (hopefully big and strong) so you can feel protected, have your peace of mind, and not have the hassle of canceling a contract, immigration, etc. The stress of that can be detrimental to your peace of mind as well. It's a very fragile time. You can just lay low and get through it while becoming more stable.

I've had a traumatic experience as well. I moved in with a friend temporarily and was able to get on my feet and out of there! I really recommend it.
Seoul.AngloINFO.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.

• IslandGook
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 04:18:49 pm
    • Jindo Island
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:32:02 am »
I would totally agree with Odie.  Change locations, keep at the job for the last month, even if you need to commute inconveniently, that 5 mil and avoiding the hassle of re-upping the visa would be worth it. 

The only instance I can think of that this wouldn't solve is if there was a problem that was at your workplace, but if your director understands the situation and it was at work, I would think that the situation could be remedied in a way other than you quitting.

Stick it out, move early if needed.  Hell, a month in a love motel would cost less than 1.5 million, and still leave you 3.5 ahead for a month of work.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
Have you thought that perhaps the OP had their life seriously threatened? Maybe they barely escaped an attack. Maybe the attacker (if that's what the situation is) knows where they work, has followed him/her to friends's houses, knows where he/she hangs out.

Maybe there is no place to hide in Seoul.

How much is your life worth to you?

5 million Won and a Visa run won't buy mine.

Have you ever been truly afraid?
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:05:11 am »
I would like to say that there are safer places in Korea outside of Seoul. I live in one of them. Seoul is the worst place. Where I live people don't lock their doors and people leave their keys in the car everywhere they go. (of course not me, I wasn't raised that way). but people park in crazy places and leave their car in people's way. they leave the keys so the car can be moved. or they leave their phone number. People are kind here and neighborly and help each other.

• ACofOntario
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2011, 01:38:33 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:07:28 am »
My words of wisdom are "What?  Are you crazy?"

Stick it out for one more month and use the time to find another gig.

I can't think of anything bad in Seoul that you aren't going to find anywhere else in Korea.

Obviously, the incident was specific to her location.  I'm thinking that someone is either stalking her/has threatened her safety in some way...  something along those lines.

If that is the case, I second Odie's advice. Move in with a friend, someone you trust, and try to stay away from areas you regularly visit.  Don't be alone late at night.

I'm sure that if you keep with good company that is aware of your situation, you can spend your last month safely and comfortably.

But... hard to give advice when you don't give out details.  I understand why you would, however.

Don't listen to people telling you to suck it up.  Only you know what's going on with your situation... Do what you think is best.  But personally, 5 mil would be too much for me to give up over a month.  I would try to find an alternative way to feel safe...

If it's a single person making you feel this way... don't let him bully you! Seek out support from friends, anyone!

A friend of mine got assaulted not long ago.  Police questioned the perp but didn't do anything... but your expat community might be willing to help you.

good luck.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeonggi
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:43 am »
Moving in with a friend is good idea, but if she's been stalked the perp may well know where she works.  If she's at a hagwon and can move in with a friend who works at the same place and has the same schedule that could be a good idea.  I'm assuming the OP has thought through her options and feels that a total change of location is her best bet.

Stalking is pretty common/tolerated in Korea and many foreign women report feeling targeted because they stand out, among other reasons.  Always, always make safety the first priority and never let fear of losing money be something that enables others to convince you to do something against your best interests.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57:30 pm »
Let me contribute to the speculation that she is in a life threatening position.

I totally understand how she feels. I moved to a city where the city was averaging about 2 assassinations a week and on top of that your occasional random murder. I always felt unsafe in that city, but I lived in a building where everything was barred, had 24 hour security and two armed guards.

The rent there was $300 more a month than decent places I could get without bars or security, but I weighed it out, and I felt that my life was worth an additional $3,600 a year. I'm guessing the OP weighed everything out as well.

Good luck to the OP. I hope everything works out. Do what is best for your own personal safety.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:13 pm »
I totally understand how she feels. I moved to a city where the city was averaging about 2 assassinations a week and on top of that your occasional random murder.

In Korea?

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:31 pm »
I totally understand how she feels. I moved to a city where the city was averaging about 2 assassinations a week and on top of that your occasional random murder.

In Korea?

No, it was not in Korea.