Read 2709 times

• dtninja831
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2011, 01:28:04 am
    • Anderson, IN, Gyeongbuk, South Korea
K-pop songs in English
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »
Today with my middle schoolers, I ended class by giving a short presentation on K-pop, for about 10 minutes.  Now you could probably do a whole lesson on this if you wanted or if you were given the freedom to do so. I have that freedom but I chose to end my class with this activity.  My presentation was about the influence K-pop has had on America.  I know quite a bit about Korean popular music so it helped when I explained to them how their favorite music artists have produced music in English.

First, they were surprised to hear this because they had no idea that it existed.  So I presented several artists they all knew and popular songs that were in English.  Then I played a few songs in English for them just so they can hear the difference in the songs.  They all seemed to enjoy the music.  I then had some verses I chose and we went over the words first in English and my co-teacher asked them in Korean as well.  It was a great way to end class.

If you're unfamilar with Kpop it's ok, the ppt shows different artists so it should be able to help you.  I started out telling them that BIG BANG released a song in 2008 and they really became popular abroad because of it.  The one thing I focused on was BoA, she is popular Korean artist. She went to America and released an album in 2009 all in English.  It helped influence the popularity of kpop in America.  I also mentioned the recent artists this year who released songs in English like Girls Generation and Miss A.

The files for the songs are below.  I just had the songs in my flashdrive and linked them from ppt so they played automatically when I clicked the link.  Oh and one more thing, I chose the songs so they are other songs in my presentation.

Hope your enjoy,

• amc45
  • Waygookin

• November 16, 2011, 01:38:23 am
    • Oxford, England
Re: K-pop songs in English
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:55 pm »
This is a really good idea, I've recently become very interested in k-pop and I also didn't know they sometimes released English versions of their songs. Thanks!

• trendgame
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 04:46:05 pm
    • Gyeongsang-buk do, Yecheon
Re: K-pop songs in English
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:18:15 am »
This is a great idea and sure to capture the attention of unenthusiastic students. It's great because it's possibly the strongest way we can overlap English with the average Korean student's personal interests.

Can't way to try it!
In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun