Read 61951 times

Re: CELTA/DELTA Information
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:35 am »
I'm thinking of doing the DELTA but I haven't done the CELTA. Is this a fool's errand or should I be okay if I read around the area beforehand? I completed my Master's in a calendar year so I'm used to a heavy workload (but it was in an unrelated field).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:55:24 pm by robin_teacher »

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
I'm thinking of doing the DELTA but I haven't done the CELTA. Is this a fool's errand or should I be okay if I read around the area beforehand? I completed my Master's in a calendar year so I'm used to a heavy workload (but it was in an unrelated field).

Depends what the practical element of your MA was like, if there was one. If you've done an MA you'll find the assignments easier and if you've done a CELTA you'll find the observations easier.
If your teaching has never been formally assessed before you might find the attention to detail and requirement to teach to very specific criteria tough.   

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2016, 03:47:57 pm »

Hi Robin! (Ex-Yongin Greenwich Robin?),

i did the DELTA last year and it was a great course, incredibly informative and really helped my teaching....... but.... it not helped me much in Korea sadly. A lot of institutions don't even know what it is.

I did it because I thought I was going to move countries, but that didn't end up happening. Just something to consider!

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:57 pm »
The DELTA is one of the most difficult courses you will ever do, my research based MA is SLA and TEFL/TESOL was a piece of cake compared to the DELTA, very rewarding course but you have to be on your game to pass.
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2019, 09:43:47 am »
So, do the CELTA and DELTA make one a better teacher in South Korea?  Does it promote the challenges one will face in the classroom?  Do they actually provide guidance on how to rise above the rest and take the lead? 

I'm in the midst of doing a 250 hour TEFL Diploma...and I can say, it has jack-crap to do with teaching here in South Korea, thus far.

« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2019, 03:15:38 pm »
So, do the CELTA and DELTA make one a better teacher in South Korea?  Does it promote the challenges one will face in the classroom?  Do they actually provide guidance on how to rise above the rest and take the lead? 

I'm in the midst of doing a 250 hour TEFL Diploma...and I can say, it has jack-crap to do with teaching here in South Korea, thus far.

The CELTA is a certificate in English language teaching to adults and a DELTA is a diploma in English language teaching to adults, so neither will have much use for those teaching kids. I did my DELTA before my CELTYL (cert in English language teaching to young learners) and was shocked at how little I knew about teaching kids when doing the CELTYL I failed an observation as a result. The DELTA is IMO the best practical course for teaching adults EFL out there. While you're doing it you'll probably think the attention to detail and analysis of everything is way over the top and it is in terms of what you actually do before a normal lesson. However it trains your mind to consider all these things subconsciously and does make you a much better teacher (of adults) That's why the British Council and British universities hiring teachers for EAP courses value it above an MA. Of course in Korea no one apart from the BC gives a crap about them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:24:00 pm by eggieguffer »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2019, 05:29:54 pm »
the CELTA made me a much better teacher. i was shocked at how wrong i was when i did certain things in classes. it definitely helped me improve teaching kids too, but it's probably better to do a young learner orientated certificate if that's who you're gonna teach. i vaguely remember doing an online TEFL cert before i came to korea. most useful thing i've ever done (i'm not exaggerating.. it was really pointless and i learnt nothing)

what did you fail on in your observation, eggie?

« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2019, 05:36:24 pm »
the CELTA made me a much better teacher. i was shocked at how wrong i was when i did certain things in classes. it definitely helped me improve teaching kids too, but it's probably better to do a young learner orientated certificate if that's who you're gonna teach. i vaguely remember doing an online TEFL cert before i came to korea. most useful thing i've ever done (i'm not exaggerating.. it was really pointless and i learnt nothing)

what did you fail on in your observation, eggie?

Can't remember the specifics but it was generally treating the kids too much like adults. I'd plan a normal adult lesson and bung in a board race game at the end as a sop.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2019, 06:05:14 pm »
well, it depends on their level and age, but i treat the more advanced students more like adults. they appreciate it. the really young ones, you gotta be a bit more active and joke around more i guess

there's nothing i hate more than teachers who do that CBBC children's TV presenter acting when they teach, though

« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:10 pm »
I wonder why Korea has its head in the sand regarding CELTA/DELTA /PG TEFL courses...

Perhaps Korea does not wish to pay a good salary to someone that knows what he/she is doing?  Or, perhaps Korea just does not want to acknowledge there is a better way, as opposed to the "Korean way"..?

I know that CELTA/DELTA courses do not focus on young learners but surely the simple of logic of hiring someone who knows his/her stuff is a benefit to the school and students.  Surely, someone with a CELTA/DELTA can be creative enough to tailor the knowledge to young learners.  Then again, perhaps Korea wants to keep their image of expat teachers in its rightful place., as opposed to exposing the reality..i.e...they (Koreans) suck at teaching and are not willing to up the game in fear of making themselves look bad (even with adult courses, because with adult courses, there has to be a higher level of accountability placed ON the students...and it seems Koreans just don't like the world, "accountability" and all that comes with it).

I could be wrong, though. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:00:14 pm by NorthStar »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2019, 09:09:42 pm »
Because Korea does not need CELTA/DELTA certified teachers to help students get that magic 990 on the almighty TOEIC test, and/or the Holy Suneung.

Any half competent instructor who has mastered the tests’ patterns and corners would do. That alongside any dimwit able to teach students to mimic “authentic” North American pronunciation.

« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2019, 10:06:35 pm »
Because Korea does not need CELTA/DELTA certified teachers to help students get that magic 990 on the almighty TOEIC test, and/or the Holy Suneung.

Any half competent instructor who has mastered the tests’ patterns and corners would do. That alongside any dimwit able to teach students to mimic “authentic” North American pronunciation.

And yet, students still  communicate back using one word answers...and their minds are blown apart when they are told to "use a complete sentence".

Right on.

Anyway, here is a question.  During a CELTA/DELTA course, has anyone had the opportunity to actually WATCH their tutors/trainers teach a class?  Did you as a student, have the opportunity to watch and critique them, while in action?  Personally, I think it would be very beneficial to see the those who are paid to  know....actually do it, with observation(s) by the trainee.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:45:06 pm by NorthStar »

« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2019, 11:01:57 pm »

And yet, students still  communicate back using one word answers...and their minds are blown apart when they are told to "use a complete sentence".

Right on.

Anyway, here is a question.  During a CELTA/DELTA course, has anyone had the opportunity to actually WATCH their tutors/trainers teach a class?  Did you as a student, have the opportunity to watch and critique them, while in action?  Personally, I think it would be very beneficial to see the those who are paid to  know....actually do it, with observation(s) by the trainee.

They probably do mini language lesson demos to the trainees during the input sessions. All the input sessions should be carried out using communicative techniques which the trainees can learn from. There are probably video lessons to watch as well. In most training centres it's hard enough getting volunteer students for the trainees to practice on so wasting them on demo lessons by the tutors wouldn't be expedient.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:04:26 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2019, 07:28:47 am »

Right on.

They probably do mini language lesson demos to the trainees during the input sessions. All the input sessions should be carried out using communicative techniques which the trainees can learn from. There are probably video lessons to watch as well. In most training centres it's hard enough getting volunteer students for the trainees to practice on so wasting them on demo lessons by the tutors wouldn't be expedient.

during all of the input sessions the trainers used some technique they had taught us. we also watched (and talked about) a video lesson. i got to see my trainers teach quite a few classes because there were only four CELTA students (and one dropped out). we also had two big classes of volunteer students, so we were able to opt for extra teaching practice or extra observing time. also, i think i was pretty lucky because one of my trainers had gone the DELTA route and the other had gone the MTESOL route, so it was interesting to see some of the differences between them (also wildly different personalities).

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2019, 07:35:01 am »

Right on.

during all of the input sessions the trainers used some technique they had taught us. we also watched (and talked about) a video lesson. i got to see my trainers teach quite a few classes because there were only four CELTA students (and one dropped out). we also had two big classes of volunteer students, so we were able to opt for extra teaching practice or extra observing time. also, i think i was pretty lucky because one of my trainers had gone the DELTA route and the other had gone the MTESOL route, so it was interesting to see some of the differences between them (also wildly different personalities).

Only 4 CELTA students? They must have lost a bunch of money on that course.

« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2019, 07:48:05 am »

Only 4 CELTA students? They must have lost a bunch of money on that course.

guess so? afaik the classes before and after were full, i think a lot of people dropped out of my session before it started or something. it is/was a pretty popular location though, so i don't think it ruined them or anything.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2019, 12:20:11 pm »
My CELTA instructors taught a bunch of lessons. They also did a few mini lessons with us as if we were the students. It was great. Man, I had so much fun in my CELTA course. The instructors were fantastic too

« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2019, 12:42:53 pm »
The first day we observed a tutor teach a real class and then after that they would teach us (as if we were the students) to demonstrate particular activities or methods.  Mini lessons as Oglop says above.

That was really helpful but I always remember thinking at the time that these mini lessons are going so smoothly because we're all speaking the same language as the teacher and each other :laugh:

« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:44 pm »
i did my CELTA before coming to Korea and enjoyed it even though it was pretty intense, but I would like to do a full-time DELTA and stumbled on this website:

https://www.celtadelta.com/

the full time course in IH Prague for modules 1/2 from the 1st July to the middle of August for about 2100 pounds (course 1450 quid and 650 for 8 weeks accommodation) looks tempting as I did a similar thing for my CELTA (also IH) which had accommodation arranged like that.  I'd get to live in Prague for 8 weeks too.  i was looking at Malta as I would have free accommodation there because of a family member, but modules 1/2 would be about 3500 pounds.  just the adventure of living somewhere a bit leftfield for a couple of months to study really appeals.

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2019, 03:26:26 pm »
Personally, and this is just me...while I certainly would value the knowledge and practice gained from a CELTA/DELTA course, I honestly do not think I'd be able to tolerate some snarky instructor/tutor, acting as if the course is a "one size fits all" format...which, we know it is not. While I also recognize that I would have much to gain in terms of actual teaching, I still would not want to have some a-hole acting as some pseudo-drill sgt. of language.  No matter how much I want to do it, I don't want to put myself in a bad situation. 

So, this is why I'm doing the postgraduate diploma, online.  I don't have to deal with classmate drama, dotard tutors who think they are immortal or the pressure.

Granted, I know many folks have enjoyed their tutors but it would be my luck to end up with some real jackwagons...best to avoid.