Read 61981 times

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
Re: CELTA/DELTA Information
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 02:02:56 pm »
Has anyone done the CELTA in Austin? I'm looking at doing that when I go home later this year. Also, if you're looking to do public school ESL in the US how handy is a CELTA?

• rdstockt9
  • Newgookin

• September 03, 2011, 01:01:03 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
Seems like a good idea.

CELTA
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
Anyone have any experience with getting their celta?  I'm looking for a cool (and cheap) place to travel and get mine.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:58:48 am by travelinpantsgirl »

Re: CELTA
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
http://www.ihbangkok.com/ 

I am thinking about doing this during break in CHaing Mai.  I am currently doing an online coursework for teaching certification but I like the idea of daily coursework and supervision in teaching adults.  If I move on to teach in the Middle East I will probably be working with Adults and this would assist greatly.  Also I really like ongoing training and education so I do not mind that it will be a bit overkill. 

I like the idea of staying on a complex with room and board pricing inclusive.  http://www.ihbangkok.com/page/81-international_house_bangkok_prestigious_english_school_in_bangkok_celta_th.html

I have a friend who did this program in Phuket last summer and enjoyed the training as it was intense but very helpful. 

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:20 am »
http://www.ihbangkok.com/ 

I am thinking about doing this during break in CHaing Mai.  I am currently doing an online coursework for teaching certification but I like the idea of daily coursework and supervision in teaching adults.  If I move on to teach in the Middle East I will probably be working with Adults and this would assist greatly.  Also I really like ongoing training and education so I do not mind that it will be a bit overkill. 

I like the idea of staying on a complex with room and board pricing inclusive.  http://www.ihbangkok.com/page/81-international_house_bangkok_prestigious_english_school_in_bangkok_celta_th.html

I have a friend who did this program in Phuket last summer and enjoyed the training as it was intense but very helpful.

Thanks for telling me about your friend.  I've been looking at Thailand and have heard like 80% positive reviews.  Price is right at like $2500 with room too.  Bangkok is a little cheaper.  I've heard the CELTA is a ball ache with work, not very hard just so much material.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:30 am »
Please do a quick look through the forums first before creating new threads. I will be merging this with the actual CELTA/DELTA thread under practice and theory.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Cambridge Delta
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2014, 07:57:24 am »
Hello, has anyone studied the Cambridge Delta?

I'm thinking of doing it independently, specifically module 1 and module 3 and entering myself into the exams in Seoul. However I'm unsure if independent study is possible for module 2 due to the assessments.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:06 am »
Please do a quick look through the forums first before creating new threads. I will be merging this with the actual CELTA/DELTA thread under practice and theory.

Yep, sorry  8)

TEFL/TESOL/CELTA not sketchy and online?
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2015, 06:10:22 pm »
Does such a thing exist? And, you know, not super expensive either.
I just want to get certified without having to take time off of work, so ideally through and online course. Anyone have a recommendation for something they've used?

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: TEFL/TESOL/CELTA not sketchy and online?
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:09 pm »
Please use the search function.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,2485.0.html

Also, please use google.

http://www.britishcouncil.kr/en/teacher/cambridge-celta

I'm going to merge this thread.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:01 am »
Also, please use google.

http://www.britishcouncil.kr/en/teacher/cambridge-celta

That's a year out of date - I'm pretty sure they don't offer it any more.

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2015, 02:54:52 pm »
And I did already look into British Council in Korea-- they only offer in person CELTA courses.
But thanks for the redirection to this thread-- and for the sass ;)

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:39 am »
Can anybody who has taken a CELTA course upload some materials? I know it won't match exactly to the institution that I'll be attending but anything to prepare my head for what is coming is appreciated.  Thanks.

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2015, 06:43:48 am »
I'm always hesitant to say my TEFL is so much lower than a CELTA. It's true that TEFL institutions vary greatly, and I want to say that mine veered on the side of CELTA like qualifications. It was with the International TEFL Academy, the in person course at their original location in Chicago. 190 hours of coursework and 10 hours of observed practicum.

Has anyone else taken my course and also the CELTA that would let me know how similar they are? I don't want to take the CELTA and find that it is comparable to the experience I already have.

I'm leaning towards jumping in to the DELTA due to the rigorous nature of my TEFL course.

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2015, 07:05:25 am »
Your course sounds more extensive than the CELTA, which is 120 hours and 6 hours observed practicum

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• Icheon
    more
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2015, 09:15:11 am »
Can anybody who has taken a CELTA course upload some materials? I know it won't match exactly to the institution that I'll be attending but anything to prepare my head for what is coming is appreciated.  Thanks.

Pretty sure legally the CELTA stuff one can post online is pretty limited. I know I had to sign some stuff in that regard when I did the CELTA.

What's ahead is a month full of long nights and stress. Being mentally ready for that will serve you better than looking over someone's old papers.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2015, 07:59:33 am »
Pretty sure legally the CELTA stuff one can post online is pretty limited. I know I had to sign some stuff in that regard when I did the CELTA.

What's ahead is a month full of long nights and stress. Being mentally ready for that will serve you better than looking over someone's old papers.

I wanted more on the lines of reading material, assignment questions, things of that nature.  I don't want to use another person's work.  As far as mentality goes, any tips?

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• Icheon
    more
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2015, 10:40:41 am »

I wanted more on the lines of reading material, assignment questions, things of that nature.  I don't want to use another person's work.  As far as mentality goes, any tips?

Be prepared to work your ass off. If you can't take a month of a lot of work and not enough sleep don't try it. I don't know what to tell you beyond that. Learn meditation beforehand?

• daehanguk
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2015, 02:03:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
This is just a hold post to remind me to post my CELTA stuff later.

I'll edit with assignment questions, course content, suggested reading, and teaching practice marking criteria and whatever else looks useful from my file.

One book off the top of my head worth reading beforehand is 'Teach yourself to teach EFL' by David Riddell. He is the head teacher trainer at IH London and the book is basically the entire content of the CELTA lectures.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2015, 11:04:55 am »

Honestly, just approach the course with a business-like 9-5 mentality and the expectation to lose some of your weekends and you should be alright. I guess instructors vary, but mine were absolutely fantastic, supportive, down to earth and eased us all in at a gradual pace. I was however lucky enough to land a very small class size of friendly and supportive peers.

It also helped greatly that I wasn't doing it based out of unfamiliar lodgings in an unfamiliar culture in an unfamiliar country: there were stresses, don't get me wrong, but they never got out of hand. To tell the truth, it was at times a very enjoyable experience. Plus, if you have previous teaching experience you've already got a headstart. None of the assignments I recall contained curveballs. The preparatory material you'll receive is a strong indicator of what to expect in-course.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:16:59 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!