Read 2140 times

• Yahowho
  • Adventurer

• November 03, 2010, 10:51:07 am
    • Busan
Housing Budget - What would you get?
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
I have been given 1 million won to buy things for my apartment. I don't have a microwave/toaster oven, so that will be number 1, but what other items would you recommend to make you apartment more comfortable?

Note: My apt. is very small so I don't have room for large pieces of furniture.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

Re: Housing Budget - What would you get?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:53 pm »
Dishes if you don't have them of course. 

I don't know what else to recommend because I don't know what you have already.  I know I had to buy a couple little containers to store things. 

Um, if you like tea or coffee get an electric tea kettle.  Clothes drying rack if you don't have one.  A short stool for the bathroom is nice, even if it's just for somewhere to put things while you're in the shower.  Maybe an extra blanket or comforter for the winter. 

Oh, if you don't have one, get a drying rack for dishes that hangs from under the cupboard.  It gives you more counter space.

Then there are always little things - plunger, toilet bowl brush, cleaning supplies, hooks, food, etc.

Hope that helps :)

• Yahowho
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:35:03 pm »
That's great, thanks. Sorry, I should have clarified... I have most of the basics - dishes, pots, pans, toaster, kettle...etc.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

• bullzai
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2011, 11:44:14 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »
Electric blanket for winter.

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »

I second if not triple that, much much cheaper than running the ondal during the winter.

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
You're also going to want a little portable electric heater for the winter (one of the radiating ones without fans) and a fan for the summer.
Also, if you have money left over, consider more luxury items like vaccums, table top convection ovens, coffe makers, etc.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »
Some repeats, but:
Rice cooker
Toaster oven/small convection oven (available on gmarket)
A good comforter
Pressure cooker (or slow-cooker)
A decent-sized clothes-drying rack
Lots of good, locking-sealed containers if you cook a lot (all my spices, sugars, flours are kept in these containers.  Buy one brand of varying sizes for interchangeability).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:35:58 pm »
get some cheap plastic cups and dishes.  Not sure if you plan on taking them with you when u leave or leaving them behind for the next teacher.  You dont really need a rice cooker.  It wastes space.  Get a nice pan and pot.  I lived without a bed for a year it was ok.  You actually get used to it and was more comfortable to me.  Get some hangers, cleaning materials for the bathroom and kitchen, and a clock.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• smippy
  • Adventurer

• October 15, 2011, 08:07:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »
If you don't have one and can squeeze one in, I'd get a desk. As mentioned earlier, it really sucks having a bed as your only piece of furniture. :\

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »
Convection oven.  For baking/roasting.

I have a combination convection/grill/microwave oven.  It's the size of a large microwave oven, and it bakes, grills and microwaves.  It cost about 350,000 from the LG store.

Other things that I am happy I have:
Table and chairs (more than one chair!)
Small sofa (if you have space)
Drying rack for clothes.
Nice duvet and two sets of bedlinen.
Chest of drawers.

Things I have but don't care about:
TV

Hmm.  That's all for now.

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:54 pm »
not really a specific suggestion, but use gmarket/other online resources if you're school is okay with it. with a million you'll be able to do a lot. my current apartment was unfurnished minus a washing machine/stove top and i got a bed, couch, area rug, dresser, coffee table, and bedside table for around 600K. avoid buying furniture at homeplus/emart if you can.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »
It might sound silly, but do you have a washing machine (mine didn't)?

Make sure to get that.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Yahowho
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »
Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions there. I wish I had room for a table/chairs but my apartment is VERY small and I don't think the furniture I currently have could be moved around to accomodate new pieces. I have tried many times.. I think a convection oven is a winner and I'll definitely try and get that.

justanotherwaygook - Yeah, I have a washing machine. It only uses cold water though ..  >:(