Read 5055 times

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2006, 10:21:05 am
    • Mokpo
    more
Boiling cats alive in Korea
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:36:27 pm »
Well, I learned something disturbing about Korea today:they eat cats. Some Koreans boil cats alive, believing that eating cats will help them soothe or cure their back ailments. Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone seen cats kept in cages at markets? Is this barbarism or what? It is one thing to eat an animal;it is another thing to kill an animal inhumanly. Think before calling me a bleeding-heart, liberal cultural imperalist. Wrong is wrong.  :o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:38:14 pm by Samuel »
Man erkennt einen Philosophen daran, daß er drei glänzenden und lauten Dingen aus dem Wege geht: dem Ruhme, den Fürsten und den Frauen - womit nicht gesagt ist, daß sie nicht zu ihm kämen.

Nietzsche

Re: Boiling cats alive in Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:36:58 pm »
I live on the side of a mountain, above a crazy old Korean man who's the school's groundskeeper (known unaffectionately as "Groundskeeper willie"). 
One day last winter he managed to catch a wild cat.  He tied it up to a 3-foot rope for several weeks, and then all of a sudden, one day, it was gone.  I'm sure he ate it. 
...And I wouldn't for a minute doubt that he boiled it alive.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:04:51 am by Dayle »

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:06:39 pm »
Let's hope it gnawed its way out of that place.  I don't understand this part of the culture;  even if they did really believe the boilled-alive cat meat helps with their physical condition, one would expect them to consider the cruelty being afflicted on these poor animals after seeing just one die that way.

??? :'(
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:20:57 am »
Good news:

I, and a fellow JLPer, while in Damyang, were able to persuade a farmer to give us his cat. His cat was imprisoned in a birdcage, barely able to move, with his crap piled mountain high next to his water and chow. The farmer kept the cat so that the meowing would scare away the mice. Yeah, right. I didn't know whether to cry or throw up. At least he won't be on anyone's plate. It's the second cat I have rescued in Korea. It is not easy, but I cannot see animals suffering, no matter how inconvenient it is for me to do something about the situation.
Man erkennt einen Philosophen daran, daß er drei glänzenden und lauten Dingen aus dem Wege geht: dem Ruhme, den Fürsten und den Frauen - womit nicht gesagt ist, daß sie nicht zu ihm kämen.

Nietzsche

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:16 am »
Here is the cat rescued from the farmer in Damyang. Notice the bird cage
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:49:51 am by Samuel »

Nietzsche

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »
It's a great thing you've rescued that cat.  He seems happy sprawled out on the bed.  I've had to stop my cat from sleeping on my bed--she sheds like crazy (Persian cat).  I often get a sad look from her, and a meow, as though she was saying: ¨why are you so mean to me?¨... then I realize cats don't talk, and bring her back to the living room.

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 08:40:05 am »
It is a good feeling to rescue an animal, even though it makes life a little inconvenient for me. We cannot rescue every cat in Korea, but we can rescue one, or at least set one free, or feed him/her, or give him water. There were two dinner dogs I used to walk by every day to school. They would get tangled up in their leashes. It only took a minute to untangle the leash and get some clean water for them. Eventually they got eaten, but I managed to sweeten their lives for their brief existence. I just wonder how so many foreigners can complain about the animal situation in Korea, but not even do a small thing to help.

Nietzsche

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44:11 pm »
Aye!

Here's a picture of my Sophie.  I am leaving in August though, and I need to find her a good owner.  I need to be reassured that she's going to a good owner, so I am being extra careful.  Sophie is really sweet, her only issues are being a little lazy, and acting kind of like a princess, but then again she's a cat.

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:47 am »
Nice Kitty:

There are some adoption sites in Korea. You will need a Korean's help. Since Sophie is a pure bred, you should be able to find someone to take her. I rescued a street kitten and was able to find someone for her. Also, you could take her back to Canada. Most airlines have some seats under which owners can place their cats for the duration of the flight instead of placing them in cargo hold. I am unsure of Korea, though, despite their great love of cats.

Nietzsche