Read 4699 times

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Winter Camp
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:20 am »
Well, I guess it's that time. I'm a new teacher having to teach a winter camp. My co-teacher informed me about it and wants the schedule "immediately."

I was told 4 classes a day, 10 days. Is this normal? The schedule on eatyourkimchi lists 2 "lessons" a day, and they seem to be designed for 45 minute classes. And the schedule of the previous native teacher at my school has 2 lessons a day as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:21:38 am by Morticae »

• sbbaas
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2010, 06:02:18 pm
    • SK
Re: Winter Camp
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:27:56 am »
It's normal and also likely to change at the last minute  :D

• suzettec
  • Veteran

• June 28, 2010, 03:20:45 pm
    • Nakseo, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:57 am »
Four classes a day is normal... the fact that you only have 10 days of camp is great.  A lot of schools have 3 sometimes 4 weeks.  Be sure to look under the Summer/Winter Camp Lessons tab on the Home page.  There you will find complete lesson plans and ideas others have used and posted. 

If you have different grade classes you can use the same lesson plan just change some of the content if it's to hard for the lower levels.  This will help same on time and sanity when making the lesson plans.

Good luck!  It really is not that bad and can be a lot of fun for both you and the students.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:41 am »
It is the same for me as well.  I essentially have 4 camps two one week and two the second week.  The first two class hours are one subject.  Then the students will change (I guess) and it will be revolving around a different central subject.  The second week will be the same format.  However, with my elementary camps, I had four classes each day with the same students by grade level for one week at a time.  It all just depends on your school.  Good luck with starting out your planning.  It may be extremely helpful to check out the summer camps section of this forum to get some ideas and curriculum, as well as input from other teachers on the process. Ciao~!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:13:50 am »
I just spoke with my co-teacher to get some clarification:

10 days. 4 classes a day with the same students, a mix of grade 1 & 2. So I need enough material to teach 40 classes! What a shame.

I already feel swamped. With my regular schedule, before & after school classes I'm whipping up 11 lessons a week and teaching 28 classes M-F.

Ah well, I guess I'll do some searching here on waygook. I need to turn in this plan by tomorrow.

• Bittens5
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 08, 2010, 12:14:01 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:18:40 am »
Do you ever use barryfunenglish.com

You have to pay for a membership.  But it is well worth the money.  (And your school may even foot the bill.) 

You can also get a 1 month membership for free by submitting 2 pieces of original work. It is possible to do this multiple times with different email addresses (although I'm sure they would frown upon that).

I used it for summer camp and it was a breeze.  My students love the games and whatnot.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:24:06 am »
I haven't used it, no. I'll take a look at it though!

• poppy
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2010, 12:33:32 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:23 am »
Just remember that it is camp and you can do some fun stuff that you couldn't normally do in the class.  I am lucky that I teach at 2 schools so I only have to do one week of camp per school and can teach the same camp for both.   I am doing a holiday camp with each day being a different holiday, for example Easter, Christmas, Halloween etc.  One period will be a lesson around that holiday and then the rest of the day will be filled with crafts, games etc.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:24 am »
Well, thanks to eatyourkimchi and waygook I whipped up a 40 hour teaching plan pretty quickly! I also threw in some of my own stuff to recycle. For some reason, I absolutely love cramming the topic of articles down students throats, so I already had plenty of material on that.

I'm not sure if it will be accepted or rejected. My school currently never monitors me. At my school, I am in the boat of: Teach whatever you want, solo for 45 minutes-- do not use a book. In my afterschool class I frequently play movies  :laugh: -- granted, last class I was only able to do 13 minutes of one. Sometimes they are slow in the discussion part, and if they want the movie they will learn to start talking to please me.

In yesterdays discussion, a student told me that the cause of global warming and pollution is... shampoo!

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
Do you ever use barryfunenglish.com

You have to pay for a membership.  But it is well worth the money.  (And your school may even foot the bill.) 

You can also get a 1 month membership for free by submitting 2 pieces of original work. It is possible to do this multiple times with different email addresses (although I'm sure they would frown upon that).

I used it for summer camp and it was a breeze.  My students love the games and whatnot.

almost all of my camps except for the last one, we couldn't use the internet. It might be wise to create some game and activities that do not use computers. There is a thread on this site specifically for that.

I also found that most of the elementary camps loved games that lots interaction.