Read 1912 times

Freelancing online (with US client) while on E2 visa?
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »
Before coming to Korea, I used to do freelance translation for a single client in the US (I am a US citizen). She has been asking if I could resume translating, and I can't figure out if this is allowed under an E2 visa. I would be submitting translations electronically, receiving money into my US bank account, and the only way Korea is involved is that I'm physically present in this country while I do the translations. My client and I take care of reporting taxes to the IRS on that end. But I'm still not sure I'm allowed to do this. Does anyone have any resources that could help me figure this out?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Freelancing online (with US client) while on E2 visa?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »
I don't know the exact answer, but I would think it is ok. I think the terms of the E2 visa are that you don't have another job in Korea.  It is highly unlikely that they would find out anyway, especially if you tell no one and of course as long as it doesn't interfere with your work here, I don't see any problem with it.

So go for it and just keep quiet about it. I mean tell no one.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: Freelancing online (with US client) while on E2 visa?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
Check with immigration.

If you're a teacher at a public school, it's a violation of your contract.  (you are prohibited from ANY other employment).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.