Read 3440 times

• kleigh
  • Adventurer

• March 19, 2011, 05:15:09 pm
    • South korea
New EPIK contact and exam days off
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:17 am »
Hi guys, I'm curious.

How many of you have to go in to school on exam days,after the new contract states that your principle can give you additional days off?At his discretion?

Is your leave paid or unapid?

At my school (40 minutes away) I have to come in every exam and field-trip,to desk-warm- after all,i'm getting paid for it
I even have to invigilate...Stand there watching kids for up to two or three hours. Not complaining,just asking,how different is this from your experience?

It kinda sucks though to hear about friends who get days and even a week off..

• kleigh
  • Adventurer

• South korea
Re: New EPIK contact and exam days off
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:51 am »
 :D contract not contact

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:51:15 am »
My understanding is that this was always the contracted case?  The days off at the principals discretion are the "sandwich" days in between weekends and holidays when the whole school is closed and locked.  And those were always supposed to be paid.

Exam days and the like are days that your principal can technically give you off,  because in principle a principal can do almost anything they want in their school, but they were not and are never supposed to.  Some just did it if they were extra nice and not worried about getting in trouble with the POE/MOE.  Seeing as those days are not really in the contract, there's no contract answer as to whether or not you should get paid for them, because you're not really even supposed to get them off.  Which is why if you do get them, you probably shouldn't post about it on a public board.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »
I also live far from my school (by choice) so I can empathize with you.
First, taking that day off is not going to win you much sympathy from your Korean co teachers and most likely just encourage resentment.
Second the prevailing attitude is that you are getting paid for that day, you should be in the office doing teacher stuff like writing up lesson plans.

My understanding of the discretionary days off is the principle now has extra control when making the schools yearly calendar. This means they can give discretionary days off to the general staff and students for special events.  Some schools near me were given a two day vacation for the schools birthday instead of the usual one day off, other schools near us got the extra time off for a longer chuseok weekend.

I have to attend work during exam days but I have managed to doge out of invigilating by saying that I would not be able to respond to a students request or problem if it was in Korean  such as a request to go to the bathroom or for more paper.

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:59 pm »
Don't want to derail the thread, but is there any interesting/good/signifficant changes to the new EPIK 2012 contract?  Don't spose there are any changes to the pay scale?

• kleigh
  • Adventurer

• South korea
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »
Thank you for your replies high school and Davox.      I guess I must have come across as pretty bratty when I told my co-teacher that my friends were given exam days off.
Like an entire week...last week. Also< I work at 2 schools,and they both scheduled their festivals/field trips for when I'm not their...Perhaps my feeling is just jealousy after comparing my working conditions to people who have it sweeter... Its a case of,the grass is actually much greener on the side! Even the people on the other side agree.

I also thought that the change to the contract meant that the principal could give me the days off- My Coteacher actually phoned our "coordinator" who
confirmed that I should in fact be at school,and that I should not get necessarily get days off-
I'm just bummed,because 2 hours hours a day travelling,and a crazy amount of lesson planning a week,it makes me feel like I deserve it...
But I get that this feeling of entitlement  is completely unwarranted given that I do not have a teaching qualification,and in that case, I am lucky to be here.

Highschool, they actually DO feel resentment toward me,I can tell it now. It is because I get paid more than my administrative co-teacher, (she's a conversational teacher,contract worker like me)
and well,the older one just doesn't like foreigners...

It is hard not to take things personally. I'm superpolite, prepared and really likeable in general- but hearing about my friends super nice treatment from both teachers and students makes me feel resentful.
I also read into it a lot,and think that they resent me because I'm an English teacher who is not white,or from one of the 'dominant' countries- and,I get paid well,which they can't wrap their head around.It is a subconscious thing...

Anyway,I flipped out today (as a result of small things that have been continuously happening-she constantly makes snide comments if I ever need to ask anything)!
I actually started crying ,at which my administrative co-teacher laughed!!

B with itch.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:28:21 pm »
I worked at two EPIK high schools a couple of years ago.  I was paid to deskwarm when those students had exams.  I used that time for making lessons.  I would be careful about the politics at your school with the older teachers and your contract.  I didn't like the high school politics between the older teachers and the younger teachers at all.  Do your job the best you can and be careful about making waves or creating resentment towards you.  It can be a long school year if you do.

• kp
  • Veteran

• December 06, 2010, 07:28:29 am
    • gyeonggi-do, south korea
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:45 pm »
aww, try not to let others get you down!  sounds like some people you work with aren't very kind.  the less you care about their opinions, the more comfortable you'll feel and the more confident you'll be with your job.

by "don't care" i mean don't take their mean words (or just a lack of nice ones) to heart.  definitely don't be cold back, though -- putting on a cheerful front, whether or not it's genuine, generally makes life easier, at least in my experience.

i don't think it was bad to say other teachers were getting the days off -- initially, my main ... caretaker ... really cared about how things were run at other schools in regards to their native speaker teachers.  "run with the herd" is a pretty prevalent attitude, unless the more powerful sentiment of "cover my own hide" comes into play -- which is what is behind your deskwarming.  stricter korean caretakers tend to want to follow the book in case any one ever tries to find fault with their work in regards to your position.

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:06 am »
Don't feel bad, you didn't come across as bratty or anything.  These contracts are not always clear and it's really not your fault for knowing what they supposedly actually mean.  If I or anyone else answers a contract question on this board, it's because WE (or someone we know) had to ask someone else that exact same question at some point.   

As for the poor treatment at school: Hang in there!  Remember that as long as you care about the students and try to do your best, nothing your hateful co-workers say or think really matters.