Read 2848 times

Being paid to do another job that is not teaching.
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
SO I am wondering...

I am an amatuer photographer and I have been asked to take photos for a woman (another English Teacher.. though I'm not sure if she is a KOREAN English teacher or a NATIVE English teacher.. I haven't met her and only know of this through a friend). Am I allowed to be paid by her? I'm not sure if I am breaking the law since it doesn't have anything to do with teaching English (which I do as my job here).

What do you think or know?

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
Re: Being paid to do another job that is not teaching.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:26:07 pm »
It's completely illegal. If immigration finds out, you could be fined and/or deported. Even doing it for free would, technically, be a visa violation.

But how will they find out? Either get her to put money in your home-country account or take cash. If you get paid 원 into a Korean account there's a paper trail which could be followed (unlikely but you never know). Just be discreet. Happy snapping!

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:49:53 pm »
If you're doing it for free (or a dinner/gift), then isn't it really practicing a hobby and not a job ...?

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:09:51 pm »
If you're doing it for free (or a dinner/gift), then isn't it really practicing a hobby and not a job ...?

Eh, it's a grey area. Immigration deliberately make the restrictions (assuming you're on an E2) really, really wide-ranging and vague - E2s are banned from doing any paid or voluntary work apart from their actual, registered job. This is so if they bust you in a house teaching English you can't just say "I was teaching my friend for free". Of course it's impossible to say where taking photos of someone for free as a hobby becomes voluntary work - but the point is immigration have a very low burden of proof; they basically can just say "we think you're doing something you shouldn't be, you're out of here".

All that said, I think the OP should go for it. Get paid in cash and be discreet. Odds of being caught are minimal, although the consequences could be severe.

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
You can get permission from your school to do it.  I could be wrong, but I think if you have permission (preferably written), it's fine.

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »
So what your saying, I can sell crack as long as my school says its ok?

I would be looking at simple things like my visa conditions, smart enough for uni, smart enough to read a contract...come on, pulling the chain, to much...?

I asked my school if I could volunteer at an orphanage teaching English and they didn't know.  They called the education office (or somewhere) and they said that if it's okay with my school then it's okay that I do it.  When I first came to Korea, my recruiter explained to me that I could not gain additional employment without my school's consent.

So...that's why I say you can get permission.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:15:25 am by toddc06 »

• dbtm
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2011, 11:46:56 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:03 pm »
Even volunteer work or membership in a band/club can be seen as a violation of your E2 visa if you dont get prior permission and if immigration wants to make a deal about it.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 06:30:22 pm »
You can get permission from your school to do it.  I could be wrong, but I think if you have permission (preferably written), it's fine.

I'm fairly sure (not 100%) that seconday jobs, even with permission, must be other English teaching jobs (since it's an E2).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »
I'm currently looking into volunteer work here.

Hell I know a group on facebook that does volunteer work and I'm 99% sure they don't have permission from their employers given what they've told me.

Does permission qualify as a simple "yes" from my manager as permission or do I have to jump through hoops / file paperwork to be allowed to do volunteer work here?

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »
Just so you know, permission from your education office, and your employer are not enough. You need to get permission from immigration as well. The former do not enforce visa regulations, the latter does and it is their opinion that matters the most in the end.