Read 4131 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
What does "troll" mean?
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »
In a Korea context that is. A lot of people responding to the **** who wrote the editorial peice for the KOrea times called him a "troll" but it had a rather...specific linguistic connotation. Anybody care to fill me in?

Re: What does "troll" mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »
From urbandictionary...

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

• amrisi09
  • Waygookin

• September 14, 2011, 05:13:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »
Its a common term used over the internet for someone who stirs shit or otherwise aims to offend and provoke. Here is a definition from urban dictionary followed by a picture of a troll face (an internet meme).

"One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument"

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
Well if that don't just knock the dust off my eight track player!... so that's how young folk talk these days. Thanks for the info. ^^

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:51 pm »
http://youtu.be/FMEe7JqBgvg

This is much better way to understand what a troll is.  :)
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »
Troll is usually someone giving advice that someone else doesnt like.  An OP once asked advice about his drinking habit and teaching and I advised him to change professions.  I was labelled a troll. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »
Its more about the manner of starting an argument (and the purpose, I suppose) than about just arguing. If someone disagrees with you and starts a discussion, that's just an argument. If someone starts an argument solely for the purpose of stirring up drama and anger, that'd be trolling.

Sometimes it seems people just label others as trolls because they disagree with them or dislike their arguments. That's not trolling.

Troll is usually someone giving advice that someone else doesnt like.  An OP once asked advice about his drinking habit and teaching and I advised him to change professions.  I was labelled a troll. 

Intention and manner of conveying it can easily interpret "change professions" as trolling.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Tpre022
  • Veteran

• November 10, 2010, 12:32:50 pm
    • Namhae island, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

Trolls will famously post arguments that they don't believe in just to get their debating opponents riled up. They post ridiculous opinions and try to sound like they really believe in them just so that people will get upset arguing with them. It is an interesting hobby to be sure. I've noticed recently that it's had the predictable side effect of making a lot of forum regulars paranoid about whether they're having a "real" argument or not, so posting anything they don't agree with will be met by "What, are you trolling?". It makes me sad that people posting perfectly honest and reasoned opinions will get a lot of this "I can't believe anyone would think that, he's clearly trolling" from people who happen not to agree.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »
troll
1. (n) An ogre-like creature that lives under or enjoys resting under bridges. May enforce a troll toll on commuters.
2. (n) A person on the internet who intentionally posts things for the sake of baiting or annoying others. Motivation is strictly non-constructive.
2b. (n) accidental troll A person who unintentionally engages in the same behaviour as an internet troll successive times.
3. (n) Cheap toy with fluoro hair.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:48:03 pm »

Trolls will famously post arguments that they don't believe in just to get their debating opponents riled up. They post ridiculous opinions and try to sound like they really believe in them just so that people will get upset arguing with them. It is an interesting hobby to be sure. I've noticed recently that it's had the predictable side effect of making a lot of forum regulars paranoid about whether they're having a "real" argument or not, so posting anything they don't agree with will be met by "What, are you trolling?". It makes me sad that people posting perfectly honest and reasoned opinions will get a lot of this "I can't believe anyone would think that, he's clearly trolling" from people who happen not to agree.

Its a sad reality, really. A lot of people think I'm trolling (here and on a separate forum) because I have some unusual (yet still reasonable! :)) opinions. And, like others who have studied nearly any field, I have strong views related to my education. A lot of people dismiss opinions that are unusual, a sad reality of message board life.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Spongeblob
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2011, 10:21:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »
I have to add my definition.

You see I am a sub-species of troll who enjoys the occasional jest and joust of wordplay.  I sometimes stir the pot on purpose to fullfill my secret needs for acceptance.  :)

Frozencat is not a troll.  His commentary is insightful and challenging.  I enjoy reading his posts.

The OP has correctly identified the writer in the Korea Times as a "****".  The **** being a subspecies of "wanker".  I believe it can also be a verb such as, "I ****, He wanks, She wanks, It wanks etc."  The common wanker is found in many habitats and prefers to breed with itself.

I hope my definitions are helpful.  I have to go back to my bridge under the sea, now.  :D

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »
On this site it's apparently someone who informs someone else that bringing farmyard animals intended to be future food home to a small apartment to be occupied for up to a year is really not responsible adult behaviour. It's also suggesting that, for all it's faults, South Korea on the whole has a right to a higher moral ground than America.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »
 think the term gets thrown around way too lightly on the internet; it used to mean a person who joins a site specifically to be inflammatory and vent in ways they know they can only get away with as an annonymous person online.

The dude you're refering to wasn't a "troll," he's someone who has been around the expat community for a long time and really does hold to some outlandish beliefs and has written about them quite a bit beforehand.  He sounds like a total weirdo, but he's not someone who just suddenly wrote an inflammatory piece and came out of nowhere.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:27:46 pm »
think the term gets thrown around way too lightly on the internet; it used to mean a person who joins a site specifically to be inflammatory and vent in ways they know they can only get away with as an annonymous person online.

The dude you're refering to wasn't a "troll," he's someone who has been around the expat community for a long time and really does hold to some outlandish beliefs and has written about them quite a bit beforehand.  He sounds like a total weirdo, but he's not someone who just suddenly wrote an inflammatory piece and came out of nowhere.

But a troll can can hold long-term objectives as well.  Right, he did not make one article just to troll.  He might have just made his entire writing career based around a life-time of trolling.

• jakkels
  • Waygookin

• September 14, 2010, 08:34:02 pm
    • Paju
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
This explains it well

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 07:33:32 am »
You know why they call it an x-box 360? Because you take one look at it,turn 360 degrees and walk away.

• amrisi09
  • Waygookin

• September 14, 2011, 05:13:16 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:46:10 am »
You know why they call it an x-box 360? Because you take one look at it,turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Not sure if you are being serious....or ironic

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:54:12 am »
trolling for their caves