Read 5399 times

• superjo2092
  • Adventurer

• April 26, 2011, 08:17:36 am
    • Gwangju, Korea
Cooking Other Stuff in a Rice Cooker
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:13:38 am »
My school bought me an amazing rice cooker!  I wanna cook stuff other than rice or rice-ish dishes.  I've only found a banana bread recipe so far.  I'm looking for ways to cook foods that could be used for Christmas dinner.  Does anyone have some good recipe ideas or a website handy?  If I can't find any, I may just throw stuff into the pot that I think will taste well together and press the "on" button. 
"-Isms in my opinion are not good.  A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.  I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles.  I just believe in me.'  A good point there.  After all, he was the walrus.  I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

Re: Cooking Other Stuff in a Rice Cooker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:40 am »
I'd like to recommend you some steamed Galbi.
I'm sure that you'll like it.
You 'll need the following:
-beef Galbi
-some vegetables such as chesnuts, carrot, onion
-Galbi sauce
Here's a recipe.
First ,you need to get rid of the blood of meat , soaking inthe water
And then mix the Galbi sauce, vegetables, and meat
Finally, press "steam" button of your rice cooker. I hope you enjoy your own Galbi JJim.

• imyamy
  • Explorer

• October 27, 2011, 12:59:30 pm
    • Yangsan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »
Hi. Can you tell me where you found your banana bread recipe?? Sounds great!

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:23 am »
I make soup in mine. A little stock, some veggies, spices and soy sauce. Got a nice sized container so I can fit a good bit of it in the fridge for later. Perfect for those nights when you don't feel like cooking.

• wgensel
  • Adventurer

• June 24, 2011, 07:38:21 am
    • Gumi, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:52:17 am »
I've seen some Korea cooking shows about cooking other things in your rice cooker.  Maybe look online a bit and you can find some episodes?  I wish I could remember the name...

• superjo2092
  • Adventurer

• April 26, 2011, 08:17:36 am
    • Gwangju, Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »
Yeah, I've been trying to find recipes online.  I really wanna make a meatloaf.  I'm gonna try to make the raw meat mixture and then throw it in the rice cooker along with some water...should be interesting.  Guess it might just be a trial by error kinda thing.  This rice cooker is crazy nice, I feel strange cooking only rice for myself in it.
"-Isms in my opinion are not good.  A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.  I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles.  I just believe in me.'  A good point there.  After all, he was the walrus.  I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

• KingKrang
  • Adventurer

• December 08, 2010, 10:51:51 am
    • Outside Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
Heh, back in canada while in Uni, my roomates were chinese. My best friend was one of em and he gave me one of his old rice cookers, after teaching me indirectly how to use it to cook basically anything without having to leave the comfort of your raid. ;P I don't do anything complicated with my rice cooker, meatloaf and banana bread are new and cool ideas here ;). Usually just use it to cook anything that requires a pot of boiling water... but I do toss in things with the rice while it cooks too like chicken breasts or fish.

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »
I think this may be a useful website for this thread.  I didn't take the time to look through it too much, but I'm going to definitely find some worth trying from here.  I've had a rice cooker for 7 months and haven't used it once for some reason...but I will now.

http://www.food.com/cookbook/rice-cooker-recipes-80457?bookid=80457&ls=o

• Summer
  • Veteran

• April 24, 2011, 11:53:13 am
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »
I finally finished my huge bag of rice. Leaving in February so I don't want to buy more rice since it takes me forever to finish. Anyone got any simple recipes I can use for my rice cookers with few ingredients? I also have a lot of chicken stock cubes left over so I'd like to use that up too.
Did you know that eco-friendly can be budget-friendly?

Use my gift code NOQ158 to get $10 off $40 or more; or take $5 orders totaling less than $40.

Choose from 35,000+ healthy and "green" products (grocery items, beauty and cosmetics, and more). Visit iHerb.com today!

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 06:46:42 am »
You can make Lasagna. Search YouTube it should be the same as the crock pot method. Kind of messy and you wont get that golden color on top.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 08:10:50 am »
potato or sweet potato cook real nice, but just be sure not to over steam them.

Vegetables, again don't over steam them.

I rice cooker is a basically just a pressure cooker, so anything you cook with a pressure cooker will work.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:13:52 am »
I finally finished my huge bag of rice. Leaving in February so I don't want to buy more rice since it takes me forever to finish. Anyone got any simple recipes I can use for my rice cookers with few ingredients? I also have a lot of chicken stock cubes left over so I'd like to use that up too.

how about just buying a smaller bag of rice?

• Summer
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 09:48:31 am »

What an idea.  :laugh: It just takes me forever to finish rice. I don't like it too much. Bought a bag for my boyfriend for when he comes over and just as an excuse to use the rice cooker. Even the smallest bag will take me 6 months, unless I eat it every day which I won't.

Anyone got tried and tested soup recipes? I don't eat heavy, starchy dinners and not too into baked goods...

Mainly want to use the rice cooker so it'll be ready after work since I get home pretty late.

Use my gift code NOQ158 to get $10 off $40 or more; or take $5 orders totaling less than $40.

Choose from 35,000+ healthy and "green" products (grocery items, beauty and cosmetics, and more). Visit iHerb.com today!

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:58 pm »
I make oatmeal in the rice cooker! It's so delicious and my favorite way to cook oatmeal, it comes out so creamy, although it sometimes sticks to the bottom a bit. Anyway, here's a recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/rice-cooker-steel-cut-oatmeal-386983

Usually just 1 cup oatmeal to 2 cups water is good. Top with optional salt, nuts, fruit, honey, etc ;)  If you can figure out the timer you can set the ingredients in the night before and use the timer so it'll be ready to eat when you wake up. Otherwise, just do it right when you wake up and let it cook for 15 minutes and then its good. I don't really mess with the settings I just press on and it cooks. Enjoy!
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »

Yeah, I bought just a 3,000 won sized bag of rice yesterday. Surely you'd go through that before february.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
The upside down apple cake is usually a hit.  I would add cinnamon to the dry mix to add that nice flavor.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/apple-cake-in-a-rice-cooker

You can also do a chocolate chip cookie.  However, whatever recipe you do, use only half the batter.  I did a whole one and it didn't cook well. 

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »
I make oatmeal in the rice cooker! It's so delicious and my favorite way to cook oatmeal, it comes out so creamy, although it sometimes sticks to the bottom a bit. Anyway, here's a recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/rice-cooker-steel-cut-oatmeal-386983

Usually just 1 cup oatmeal to 2 cups water is good. Top with optional salt, nuts, fruit, honey, etc ;)  If you can figure out the timer you can set the ingredients in the night before and use the timer so it'll be ready to eat when you wake up. Otherwise, just do it right when you wake up and let it cook for 15 minutes and then its good. I don't really mess with the settings I just press on and it cooks. Enjoy!

And I thought I was so original-- literally just occurred to me to try this yesterday, and it worked! I have a pretty fancy rice cooker (in other words, it has a list of mysterious settings in Korean that I don't understand), so I just pressed the normal rice setting and cancelled it after a minute. Perfect, and I mean perfect oatmeal.
I'd love to try steel-cut oats because they take so much longer to cook and, with the pressure of the rice cooker, I bet it'd be much quicker.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

• Summer
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

Yeah, I bought just a 3,000 won sized bag of rice yesterday. Surely you'd go through that before february.

I just... I just don't want to eat rice anymore...  :cry: The lunch ladies already insist I get more rice when I ask for less, I don't need you guys to do this to me too  :cry: :cry: :cry:

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 03:31:48 pm »
I almost forgot, corn bread in the rice cooker works REALLY well.  That is the only way I do corn bread now despite having a small oven. 

Word of advice, make sure you get corn meal, not flour.  The flour is a lot softer.  I tried a recipe using corn flour instead of meal.  It was bad.