Read 1718 times

• Intrepid
  • Adventurer

• December 17, 2010, 07:26:58 pm
    • korea
Problem with taking time off
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:47:53 pm »
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I want to take a week off work to fly home for two job interviews. I need to find a native teacher to cover my classes. I work in an afterschool program from 12-5.30 Monday to Friday. Does anyone know of anybody who might be available November 7th-11th to teach in Cheonan? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:54:59 pm by Intrepid »

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
Re: Problem with taking time off
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »
What you are explaining is definitely you wanting to break the terms of your contract.  It's not as if I am suggesting contracts are moral codes or anything, but if we (employees) do not follow them how can we complain when our employers decide not to follow them either?

If returning back home is your goal, it makes sense to start planning for that.  I am assuming you must be interested enough in these two jobs to not wait until your school vacation to go back for interviews.  If you choose to leave, essentially not showing up for your normal working hours, I would say that your employer is likely to do whatever they can to terminate your employment and to keep you from doing this to other schools here in Korea.  At this point, the threats are certainly to encourage you to reconsider doing what you are planning to do but I would not assume, if I were you, that they will not do whatever they can to go through with their threats if you leave.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:07:51 pm by teachermc »

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »
Your current boss can give you a bad reference if you give them any cause to do so.  They can also complain to Immigration, which could make your working life here more difficult. 

Why don't you try to schedule your interviews via Skype?  I'm presuming that you are fairly young, so you will have many years in the future to comfortably spend Christmas with your family and friends.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:49:52 am »
They can also complain to Immigration, which could make your working life here more difficult. 

Not true.  If you're referring to him quitting and trying to come back to Korea, there is NOTHING a boss can do aside from filing a criminal complaint to immigration that can hurt your chances of getting a job in the future. Immigration doesn't care.

I know this from experience and VERY good sources. 

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:53:37 am »
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I want to take a week off work to fly home for two job interviews. I'm teaching in an afterschool program and there is no other teacher to cover my classes. My boss is furious and has told me that the Education Committee at the school and the school principal will make a complaint to Immigration as I am not entitled to take any time off for interviews under my contract. She said my reputation would be tarnished and that they'd make it very difficult for me to find another job in Korea. The interviews are in two weeks time. I was only notified of them a few days ago so wasn't in a position to give my boss anymore notice.

Student numbers have fallen on the afterschool program over the past few months and my boss was suggesting that I was partly to blame for parents not re-registering their children. Students register for the program for two months at a time. Some parents complained about classroom management in my first grade class. One student name-called and hit a student one day and the parent rang complaining. I have never been given any warnings about my competency.

I don't want to end up with no job here or in a position where I am unable to secure another job in Korea as the job scene at home is bleak. Does anyone think there is any truth to her threats about immigration? Obviously I realise it is really poor form to give such short notice for time off but I am keen to seize an opportunity to pursue my career at home and be with my family and friends again. My boss said that due to the low numbers of students she is considering finishing the afterschool program at Christmas. My Korean coworker is pregnant and is quiting then. Our contracts are not due to terminate until April. The jobs the interviews at home are for don't start until Autumn 2012. I am on my second E2 visa here. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!

I feel like this could have been avoided if you said something like your sister is getting married or there was a death in the family.  It's ONLY a week.  Your boss is exaggerating.

After school programs will let you have a substitute if you can find one.  And considering this flooded market, a simple craigslist ad could have easily translated to "hey my friend can cover me for a week while I mourn my aunt's death."  You honestly think your boss would have reacted the same if you showed him a blonde haired blue eyed white girl you found online to cover for you for a week?

I don't know, I feel that this could have easily been avoided if you were a bit more clever.  Instead you're on the brink of having your contract terminated and are on bad terms with your employer.