Read 1770 times

• joeg
  • Waygookin

• November 22, 2010, 02:37:01 pm
    • Sangju, South Korea
Parts of Speech
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:32 am »
I got asked to do a lesson on parts of speech a while back.  I wasn't too keen on doing it as grammar was always my weakest subject in school.  I decided to do it using Mad Libs.   It turned out to be my most popular lesson. 

I started by explaining what a Mad Lib is.  Most had never heard of them.  I use the first few slides to explain how Mad Libs are made and show how you need to know something about parts of speech to do them.  I'd probably change the example story if I did it again as they weren't too in to it.  Did get a few laughs with the Mad Lib version though.

Next I do a quick review of the parts of speech we'll use.  Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives and, for the one we do together only, adverbs.  They're not too interested at this point but...

Next I start asking for words from the next slide.  I have this written on the board as well as the story, with blanks for the Mad Lib words (numbering the blanks helps when adding the words).  I keep the story part hidden until we have all the words.  The students perk up a lot when I start asking for words.  I'm pretty liberal about what I let them say, which gets the usual troublemakers in to it.  In fact, they are often the most enthusiastic.  Once I put the words in to the story, everyone gets in to it.  We've come up with some pretty hilarious stories. 

Then it's their turn.  I couldn't get electronic copies of the Mad Libs I used (from ESL Printables, I think), so you'll have to find your own.  I used fairly short ones asking for nouns, verbs and adjectives only (that was what they wanted me to focus on).  I had 6 groups and gave out 3 sets of 2 stories because I wanted to show how different the stories could be.  The students really like this part too.  I had a student from each group read their story after everyone finished. 

I usually had some time left over after they all read.  I had links to several Mad Lib websites on one of the slides and went to one (Mad Glibs turned out to be my favorite) for the last few minutes.  I let the students pick a title then select words.  When finished, I had a volunteer read the story.  They really enjoyed this too and wanted to stay to finish what ever we were on if the bell rang while we were still doing it.