Read 2423 times

Getting dependents added to health insurance - PROBLEM!
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »
I a US citizen here on an E2, my Mexican husband and young (US citizen) son are here on F3s. We all have had our ARCs for about a month. Once we had them, my school business office asked for copies of the birth and marriage certificates so my son and husband could be added to the health insurance. I brought regular originals but they just made copies and that was it. I was told, "They'll be covered if they go to a hospital, now. Just present your insurance card and the hospital can look up their information, too. They are in the system."

Cool. But then today, I was told that it turns out they're not in the system because the Health Insurance did not accept the birth and marriage certificates. They told the school we must furnish an official document proving family relationship, and these are not it. I assume they want the equivalent of the Korean family register, but of course neither Americans nor Mexicans get such a thing beyond the birth and marriage certificates. They said we have to get such a document from the US Embassy in Seoul. Of course the US Embassy has no clue what this is all about.

Could they mean they want apostilled birth and marriage certificates? Those I have. Anyone have any insight or experience with this?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:37:19 pm by internationalmama »

• Tpre022
  • Veteran

• November 10, 2010, 12:32:50 pm
    • Namhae island, South Korea
Re: Getting dependents added to health insurance - PROBLEM!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
My F3 husband was put on my insurance. We used an original marriage certificate as proof, which they then returned. This was about 6 months ago. He definitely is in the system, because he ended up having surgery and insurance paid their bit of that.

Unless something's changed very recently, sounds like they're confused?

EDIT: Although I'm not from the US. Perhaps they're trying to mess with Americans particularly. The embassy not having heard of it is dead suspect though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:01:49 pm by Tpre022 »

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:46 pm »
This issue indeed seems specific to your case.  I had my wife and sons added twice (recently changed schools) to my health insurance card using copies of our (USA) marriage and birth certificates.  At my first school the administration office at the school did it for me and at my current school, I had to go to the NHI office and present the application and certificates myself.  We have never had trouble using the coverage either.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »
Thank you both for your help! I'm going to see if we can get this done by submitting originals. Perhaps it's true that a visit to the local office will help. I'm just glad to hear there's not some mysterious Embassy-issued document out there that I'm missing.

"Maybe they received the document from Korean immigration when they entered at the airport" was one possible solution offered by the NHI people on the phone. Haha.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:13:22 am »
Well, here's the update in case anyone ever searches for this topic: We got more clarification from the NHI office, and what they were looking for is the "Certificate of The Facts of Alien Registration". It lists all the basics of my Alien Registration, and it also lists my dependents. We were able to obtain it online by entering my name, address and Alien Registration #.  This was the site my Co-Teacher went to: http://www.minwon.go.kr/main?a=AA020InfoMainApp. She did the navigating so I'm not positive what went on there, but all the sudden we were printing these certificates, and she said that's what they need!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »
Well, here's the update in case anyone ever searches for this topic: We got more clarification from the NHI office, and what they were looking for is the "Certificate of The Facts of Alien Registration". It lists all the basics of my Alien Registration, and it also lists my dependents. We were able to obtain it online by entering my name, address and Alien Registration #.  This was the site my Co-Teacher went to: http://www.minwon.go.kr/main?a=AA020InfoMainApp. She did the navigating so I'm not positive what went on there, but all the sudden we were printing these certificates, and she said that's what they need!

Yes, had to get the same thing, but you can do it at your local 'gu' office too.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!