Read 16333 times

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
Online Overseas Remittance with Nonghyup - uh, help?
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »
So, like most EPIKers, I have an account with Nonghyup.

I have access to online banking/online Korean bank transfers and, after going to the bank today, did whatever I had to do (signed a piece of paper and had some stuff photocopied) to be allowed to transfer money overseas via online banking.

However, I use Bank of America, and the online remittance form will NOT accept my 8-digit SWIFT code.  It says it has to have an eleven digit code to do the transfer.

Also, I'm not sure exactly which numbers I need to put in.  I have the account/routing numbers that are on my checks, and I also have a routing number for wire transfers.  I'm a bit confused as to which numbers are supposed to go where.

If anyone has experience using the Nonghyup online overseas remittance, I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate the help.  Thanks!
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
Re: Online Overseas Remittance with Nonghyup - uh, help?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:41 pm »
Well, there are two ways to identify the bank.  You can either input the Swift code and it will show you the Bank name and address, or you can put in the bank info (use the main branch, even if it's not in your state) and it'll show you a Swift code.  Maybe you could try it that way.

As for the routing number, I only have one on my bank so i don't know.  Sorry!

Oh, also, make sure for the type of transfer, you tick the only one that says "foreigner."  At first I didn't because it said something like non-resident, but that's the one.  I couldn't get it to go through with the other options I tried.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:55:24 pm »

I have access to online banking/online Korean bank transfers and, after going to the bank today, did whatever I had to do (signed a piece of paper and had some stuff photocopied) to be allowed to transfer money overseas via online banking.

However, I use Bank of America, and the online remittance form will NOT accept my 8-digit SWIFT code.  It says it has to have an eleven digit code to do the transfer.

Also, I'm not sure exactly which numbers I need to put in.  I have the account/routing numbers that are on my checks, and I also have a routing number for wire transfers.  I'm a bit confused as to which numbers are supposed to go where.

If anyone has experience using the Nonghyup online overseas remittance, I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate the help.  Thanks!

select remittance type #5 "overseas remittance for foreigners [non-residents]."

Try "swift code direct input or search." click the "조회하기" button and a new pop-up window will appear. for "selectional country," click "S-Z" since you're from the US. Once you click the appropriate city and bank, the swift code will be entered for you after you click "Confirm." you'll still have to input your personal numbers (e.g., bank account number) in the appropriate fields.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:57:46 pm by daveyc18 »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

more
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »
Try "swift code direct input or search." click the "조회하기" button and a new pop-up window will appear. for "selectional country," click "S-Z" since you're from the US. Once you click the appropriate city and bank, the swift code will be entered for you after you click "Confirm." you'll still have to input your personal numbers (e.g., bank account number) in the appropriate fields.

The city where I opened my account isn't listed... I'm assuming I need to use the Bank of America headquarters?

*sorry if these are dumb questions*
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:01:52 pm »

select remittance type #5 "overseas remittance for foreigners [non-residents]."

in canada, the numbers appear as 000-00000-00000000000 on cheques/checks. i just entered the numbers in that form under "bene. account."

Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:35 pm »

The city where I opened my account isn't listed... I'm assuming I need to use the Bank of America headquarters?

*sorry if these are dumb questions*

Not dumb. Try NOT using the "swift code" button and entering the information using "bank information direct input." i would try entering the swift code under "bank code or other..."

• wajowens
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:19:12 pm »
I've only done it to the UK... but I found that trying to put the swift code in got me nowhere.
There's an option to just enter everything manually instead of using the swift code. It wanted the address and name of my bank, and I put the IBAN number into the "other information" field (or some similar name). In fact I put my IBAN number in 3 places I think, just to be sure.

Also, the transfer type I selected was the "less than $1000 USD" one. I think they ask less questions that way lol, and the amount was less than $1000.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »
Just type your bank information in manually, don't bother with that swift code search. Put your swift code in the "other information" field, as well as your routing number. As long as you have the bank name, account number, routing number, your name... trust me, your money will go to the right place.

Select the oversees wage remittance for foreigners as the remittance type.

I recommend you check the box where the "beneficiary" pays the fee. Why? Well, I tried otherwise one time and I ended up paying the fee on both ends.

I just transferred money for the second time, and it was much faster. Took maybe a day or two to get into my American bank account.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 02:40:41 pm »
Just type your bank information in manually, don't bother with that swift code search. Put your swift code in the "other information" field, as well as your routing number. As long as you have the bank name, account number, routing number, your name... trust me, your money will go to the right place.

Select the oversees wage remittance for foreigners as the remittance type.

I recommend you check the box where the "beneficiary" pays the fee. Why? Well, I tried otherwise one time and I ended up paying the fee on both ends.

I just transferred money for the second time, and it was much faster. Took maybe a day or two to get into my American bank account.

You pay the fee either way, but the charge is distributed differently for each option. When you check "beneficiary," you get charged LESS from Nonghyup (NH)  for sending money because NH informs your bank to take the hit; thus, your home bank charges you MORE for the wire . If you charge the remitter (which is you obviously), then NH charges you MORE  for sending money while your bank should charge you less.

for instance, if  i send over $1,000 CAN and charge the remitter, NH would charge me a little over 15,000 W (5,000W cable fee + 10 CAN for sending over $1,000 USD). my home bank would charge me $10 CAN.

if i charge the beneficiary, NH just charges me the cable fee (5,000W ) and my home bank charges me double--$20 CAN.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:45:36 pm by daveyc18 »

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »
I am in the exact same situation, here is what worls for me ( NH with Bof A)
1. choose Wage remittance for non-resident foregner
2. type in main branch address for BofA in your area, and acct# of course
3. type in routing number(the one for electronic transfers, not wire transfers) in the last field under alt bank info (no swift code is rquired)
4. choose benificiry (has always worked foe me, but the other one may work too)

With that said, if I wasn't leaving soon I would get a KEB account! Less fees, can have VISA check card (still can't use on some US websited though:( )

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:14:45 pm »
This is slightly off topic, but if you're able to get away from school for an hour or two or leave early, some of the tellers at bank branches speak decent English.  As soon as they see Native English speaker's number called, the teller that speaks the best English switches seats with whatever teller was supposed to be next.  I took my passport, ARC card, routing and checking numbers, and the amount I wanted transferred to a local Nonghyup and the teller did everything for me.  I didn't ask, but I'm sure she would have took me step by step through the online process had I wanted her to.

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

more
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »
This is slightly off topic, but if you're able to get away from school for an hour or two or leave early, some of the tellers at bank branches speak decent English.  As soon as they see Native English speaker's number called, the teller that speaks the best English switches seats with whatever teller was supposed to be next.  I took my passport, ARC card, routing and checking numbers, and the amount I wanted transferred to a local Nonghyup and the teller did everything for me.  I didn't ask, but I'm sure she would have took me step by step through the online process had I wanted her to.

Thanks, but I live in BFE.   Every time I've gone to the bank I've had to bring my coteacher.

I'm going to try all of the above, and if that doesn't work I'll just have to see if I can leave during lunch, travel to the next town over to the main branch, and call the translation hotline, haha.  I'm just really trying to avoid having to go back to the bank - the town I work in doesn't have a main branch and it's a 50 minute round trip bus ride plus a walk to get to the branch I need to go to.

• LiPo
  • Veteran

• April 15, 2010, 01:20:23 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:35:39 pm »
Every time I have a problem with Nonghyup, I call this number and a nice, patient lady talks me through the entire process.  She's saved me lots of frustration. 1588-2100 extension #730.  You may have already solved your problem, but for next time, give her a call!