Read 5336 times

G20 (and Recycling) Lesson Ideas?
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:15 am »
Aloha guys and girls.

I'm thinking of doing a lesson on the G20 summit going on Seoul for this coming week.  I'm given free range on what I can put in my lessons and I think this would be a great way to introduce ideas such as recycling, renewable energy etc.

It's an activity that I'm having trouble with, the introduction of what G20 is, why they meet, what they do etc. will be pretty easy. I think I'm going to focus on recycling (it may well turn into a Green lesson rather then a G20 lesson) and I've got a great video lined up to reinforce recycling.

So has anyone done any recycling or similar activities? Any input would be appreciated!

Mark x
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:02:39 am by magicalmerlinmark »

• landry
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2010, 10:51:42 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
Re: G20 Lesson Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:46 am »
I am planning on doing a lesson about the G20 but focusing more on the political aspects of it (i.e. what they do, why they are meeting in Korea etc.) and am going to try and link it to international issues like poverty, disease etc.

That said it is good to hear that someone else had a similar idea. I am planning on teaching it this month, hopefully the same week the G20 is happening since it will be in the news a lot.

I have already done a lesson on the environment and oil spills... most of it is poached from this site but I have changed and added a few things. I will attach it for you to have a look at.

Cheers.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:55:31 am »
Ok I just get a presentation on recycling today for my boys year 1 middle school class. here is the ppt and game that I prepared. Hope it works as well for you as it did for my class.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:02:29 am »
i forgot to tell you just copy and paste the last link on the last slide into your url bar and the game is there. also review the first link on the last slide some questions from the game werent in the ppt presentation but are on the game. I did this to have students think and tell me what they thought those items could be recycled into. some of the answers are histerical!

• pearljam97
  • Newgookin

• October 03, 2010, 03:53:35 pm
    • Guri, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:32:20 pm »
i just finished a lesson on it -

just wrote up info sheets for 6 or 7 countries. had pop., capital, language, leader, etc...

about a page each.

formed groups for each country. asked them a question and had them find the answer and say it out loud.

brought in a deck of cards and a right answer earned them a card (they like to pick) and after 5 rounds the team with the best poker hand wins.

they get in to it once they have a card or too. i did this with all boys and maybe half knew how to play poker

Re: G20 (and Recycling) Lesson Ideas?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:08 am »
I turned it into more of a recycling lesson with a G20 introduction

I start by talking about G20 (what do these countries have in common.)

The slides that are about population, world trade etc. I get the kids to guess what % of world trade the G20 have and so on.

I then pretty much shamelessly copied from another recycling lesson on here. The slide that says WHY? on environment I list Pollution, Global Warming & De-forestation. Talk a bit about each, why they're bad and introduce the idea of 'extinct' animals.

When the big recycling logo appears, I get them to do the X-word etc.
The activity I get them to watch the video then think of their own recycling inventions. I've had some pretty fun suggestions so far!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:04 am »
For Earth Day, I went over different environmental problems quickly, then focused on pollution.  I introduced the term "decomposition", then gave the students half a B4 sized time line with 7 different times on it (i.e. 450 years, 10,000 years, never), and also handed them "trash" - laminated pictures of banana peels, styrofoam, etc (real trash would work too).  I then gave them a few minutes to place the trash on the time by guessing how long it takes to decompose.  After, we checked our answers together then made Earth Day posters that I hung outside the EOZ. 

The decomposition manipulatives activity was the best part of this lesson.

• ejmclaine
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 12, 2010, 03:25:08 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:24:34 am »
Here is a Powerpoint I did over my science camp. I did a worksheet with them as well as general Trivia at the end (How much time does it take for a plastic water bottle to decompose, what countries have the biggest carbon footprints per capita etc). The powerpoint itself isn't anything spectacular but the part with the recycled products (which I took from inhabitat.com) really got them thinking about what they could make with the materials they already had. I find Korean students require a bit of inspiration beforehand if you're going to ask them to do anything creative.
Enjoy

• ESmith4
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2010, 03:54:25 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »
magicalmerlinmark,

I like the Recycling ppt, I'm modifying it for Earth Day this week. PowerPoint is telling me it can't find the 2 video files in the ppt. Do you recall where you got those from (or what they were of?). Thanks!
Get Dropbox and 2 GB of free space online today! http://db.tt/QkqDoXC

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 10:42:48 am »
I am planning on doing a lesson about the G20 but focusing more on the political aspects of it (i.e. what they do, why they are meeting in Korea etc.) and am going to try and link it to international issues like poverty, disease etc.

This is excellent but you have embedded the video clips which so It cant be edited without making the clips unusable. Could you please post up the video clip files or provide links in the notes bar and upload it again.