Read 6898 times

• chomsky
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 02:41:27 pm
    • South Korea
Any future SWTOR players in Korea?
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »
If you know what I'm talking about ... then you know what I'm talking about. December 20th.

Thought it'd be fun to get a Korea-based guild going, especially given the time zone differences between here and the US servers.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
Re: Any future SWTOR players in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »
If you know what I'm talking about ... then you know what I'm talking about. December 20th.

Thought it'd be fun to get a Korea-based guild going, especially given the time zone differences between here and the US servers.

Well I was originally told it would be available for download here in Korea but now it is not. That kinds annoys me as I heard that directly from EA/Origin.

So I think you have to buy it in the US/Europe (a hard copy) then ship it to yourself in Korea correct? How do you plan to get a copy? I think I will do this b/c I have never played comp games but it does look pretty good. So I  in short I will probably be playing it here in Korea.

Their site also says there may be lag issues if you play with ppl on a different server...which we will have to as Korea/Asia won't be getting a server from the looks of it.

• bullzai
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2011, 11:44:14 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »
I'm definitely planning on it, provided I buy myself a new PC here first. Hopefully, that will be taken care of by then.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
I would completely jump on the idea if I were not going home soon.   :laugh:
I wish you the best of luck finding enough people though.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:31:18 pm »
Why not use proxy to download it firefox/foxyproxy/tor?

Will they discriminate (i.e. match ip source to hardcopy/downloaded version installation?)  I can't imagine they will.

• chomsky
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »
I've already pre-ordered from Amazon, and it's going to cost me 35 USD to get it shipped with 3-5 days of Dec. 20th, priority mail being the only option. If I have to download the early access pre-launch client from EA's Origin doohicky, then I'll have to wait for the actual discs (unless it works via a VPN).

Otherwise, I'll just have to "bite the bullet" and miss opening day... by a week. Then again, this might also help avoid the inevitable server overload and crashing of Day 1.

As of now the EA/BioWare has been saying no IP blocking anywhere, and this was usually in response to people inquiring from Australia/NZ (which are not included in the initial launch). So, if they say it will work fine (albeit with some lag) there, I assume it will work in Korea/Japan.  Also, they must know that a lot of American GIs will be jumping on from day one, especially in Korea/Japan -- they are also the ones often asking in forums about non-Europe overseas access.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 04:16:04 pm »
haha, STAR WARS (the old republic) game....why am I not surprised that the majority of ppl didn't know what SWTOR meant.  Thought I'd just mention it for all those who read this thread and asked themselves "wtf is SWTOR?" lol.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:32 am »

I'd be up for this. I know at least two other people here who would too since we were talking about an expats guild the other week.

I'm still mulling over just how I'm going to get the game. I'll decide after I know for sure if my contact has been renewed.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:50 am »
I know it's not an MMO , but seriously Mass Effect made all Star Wars games lame and cheesy to me. They just can't compete.

• marescja
  • Adventurer

• May 19, 2010, 08:22:59 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:23:31 am »
Good thing Bioware is making SWTOR.  Seems they are making it stand out more from other online games at least.

Been considering playing it myself.  When I wanted to play AION I found a torrent for the install disks and had someone email me the game key.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• Icheon
    more
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05:50 am »
I know it's not an MMO , but seriously Mass Effect made all Star Wars games lame and cheesy to me. They just can't compete.

And this adds to the discussion how?

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »

Just saying that there's better games out there. Don't get all butt hurt on me.

• Andyroo
  • Expert Waygook

• February 09, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

Mas Effect was made by the same people that are making this game. Kotor was pretty good and this won't be relying on the Movie material so much.

I will give it a go if my lap top can handle it..... it's an MMO where I might actually care about the story.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »

Mas Effect was made by the same people that are making this game. Kotor was pretty good and this won't be relying on the Movie material so much.

I will give it a go if my lap top can handle it..... it's an MMO where I might actually care about the story.

Damn never thought of that,  sounds like it might actually be good.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »
I will be playing it.

My plan is to preorder it. Download it and play prelaunch.

Send the CD's to a friend in the States, he can give me the codes when he gets it.

Seems like that's the easiest way, right?

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• Icheon
    more
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:08 am »

You're saying a game you haven't even *played* can't be as good as a game you like. Also, were talking about TOR not Mass Effect. So you basically wandered into a conversation and started going on about how some other game series is better than an MMO which isn't even out yet.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 10:45:05 am »

You're saying a game you haven't even *played* can't be as good as a game you like. Also, were talking about TOR not Mass Effect. So you basically wandered into a conversation and started going on about how some other game series is better than an MMO which isn't even out yet.

Thanks for telling me exactly what I was talking about.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:24 am »
I've never played an MMO but I played my way the the KOTOR series. Since MMOs are essentially endless, I feel like playing this could ruin my life. I want it though. I love a good afternoon of gaming with a mug of hot chocolate and the ondol on whilst it's freezing outside, occasionally venturing out into the cold for a cigarette. Later on, a man on a scooter will risk his life riding over snow and ice to bring me a pizza, then I'll drink beer, then gin and tonic. Winter weekends can't get here quickly enough.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• azreality
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 08:45:31 am
    • Daegu Korea
    more
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 01:02:05 pm »
There is no IP block on ordering or playing the game.
So if you have a credit card or paypal account you can order a digital copy anywhere in the world and download it.
Install and press the shiny play button.

Don't worry so much about hard copy and codes.... just order online.

• chomsky
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »
There is no IP block on ordering or playing the game.
So if you have a credit card or paypal account you can order a digital copy anywhere in the world and download it.
Install and press the shiny play button.

Don't worry so much about hard copy and codes.... just order online.

Are you sure? My understanding is Origin is the only source for a digital download and Korea will not have access to this for the near future.

Does anyone know which online source will actually be providing the pre-order digital copy?