Read 1965 times

F-2 documents from Canada
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:54 am »
Getting ready to make the move back to Korea.  Previously when I applied for my F-2 from inside Korea it was a pretty straightforward process, although it did take about a month.

However I've noticed that applying for an F-2 visa from inside Canada, the documents that I'm required to submit are substantially different.  They include a HIV check, a criminal record check and a bank statement.  Now I'm not really against these checks per say, aside from the fact I don't really agree with the HIV check in principle (a debate for another time), what I'm miffed at is that I strongly suspect that mail order brides from Vietnam, Cambodia, China, etc.. are not required to submit such documents.  I get the feeling that these checks are being placed only on foreign males marrying Korean women.

http://can-vancouver.mofat.go.kr/eng/am/can-vancouver/visiting/visacategories/index.jsp

Re: F-2 documents from Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »
I also chekced the Toronto website and they have the same list as Vancouver.  My wife called and apparently its a relatively new policy.

• p33k
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2010, 01:57:59 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:52 am »
Why don't you just wait until you arrive and change your tourist to an F2?  I know when I went and changed my E2 to F2 here they only wanted to see the marriage certs, family documents.  The whole process took about 10 minutes and a 15 minute wait in line. 

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:33:40 am »
I'm not worried about any of the documents.  Might as well submit them here and be better safe than sorry.  I just find it insulting and probably misogynistic that only nationals from certain countries have to submit these documents for the exact same visa.  Why are Canandians more likely to have HIV, a criminal record or no money in the bank than a poor woman from southeast asia.  This just seems like a way Korean authorities are trying to discourage multi-cultural marriages including Korean females but encouraging them among Korean males.

• steven1080
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 08:57:52 am
    • South Korea
I need a document so lets not get married?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
 :o  Hi all.. It is much easier to change a  E2 visa to a F2 visa because you already
submitted background check and medical check..
How does requiring basic paperwork discourage marriage?
I need to do a medical check and background check so lets not get married.
Do you know of any cases where a couple has split up becuase of this?
To move to Korea immigration requires a medical check and background check.
No matter where you are..
I like living in a country with few criminals and few dieases.. I hope they keep it that way!!
If you arrive on a tourist visa and try to apply for a F2 visa they will ask for a background
check and send you for a medical check.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
So you can confirm that mail order brides also have to submit criminal record checks, HIV checks and a bank statement?  I'm asking because I was under the impression that they didn't. If they do then I stand corrected, however if they don't then it why is the korean government asking for certain checks from certain nationalities for the same visa?

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:01:10 pm »
Okay, I do stand corrected.  Checking the Korean Embassy's Manilla website the documents are similar.  No specific mention of an HIV test or bank statement.  However on the flip side the Korea spouse is asked to provide quite a few additional documents:

http://embassy_philippines.mofat.go.kr/eng/as/embassy_philippines/visiting/visas/index.jsp

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:59:01 pm »
 Most recruiters are asking for the RCMP/FBI/Scotland Yard from people with F-2 visa's.  They claim that it's a requirement from the POE. So you should really apply for it long in advance since some National Police checks are notoriously slow. It may be a pain in the neck but it's worthwhile in the long run.