Read 4466 times

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
Where do you live?
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:09:05 pm »
My question is where do you live and what would you recommend about it? What do you dislike about it?

I live on an island called Namhae-gun.
Namhae is very rural and beautiful. I am in sight of the sea from most locations. Its historic and offers a few temples, museums, dinosaur fossil footprints. the weather is cold in the winter, pleasant in the summer. (if you can handle humidity). January is the coldest month. I think last year it was -5 but I was told it was the coldest winter in a hundred years. The water pipes froze in the shower. I'm hoping this winter will not be so cold. Spring and fall are gorgeous. If people like night life, they probably won't find it here in Namhae, though the crime rate is low. The people are nice and friendly. One time I was trying to turn around in a narrow spot and (thanks to the give on my clutch) I pulled right into the drainage ditch. a farmer in a little truck came along, tied a rope around my axle and pulled me out in nothing flat. I shudder to think what my insurance would have said! or long it would have taken to get a response. People often park their cars in awkward places blocking other vehicles and they leave their keys in the ignition so if the vehicle is in your way, you can move it. I also get a glimpse of the culture as I see neighbors beekeeping or farming the rice fields. I think Namhae is a pleasant place to live.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:12:26 pm by Merryone »

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
I live on Mireuk island in Tongyeong.  The island is really close to the mainland, accessible by an underwater pedestrian tunnel built by the Japanese in the 30's and two bridges.  The sea breeze has been a nice, unexpected benefit - at the most random times while walking you will smell the sea and even in the heat of the summer there was a breeze to be found. 

It is definitely a more rural area overall than Gyeonggi-do (where I had been previously), but I find the local culture's treatment of foreigners much easier to handle than when I was near Seoul.  The area is much more diverse due to the shipbuilding industry here and on Geoje Island and people do not seem to flinch as much at foreigners.  It is funny that though there is a thread going here debating whether Seoul has too many foreigners, I found people in Seoul to be much more awkward and pushy even though one might expect they would be more cautious and tolerant given the local diversity.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• Namhae
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »
Rusty! great idea. if the schools would support a teacher exchange  program.... the teachers could meet up and exchange  houses during the school holidays and teach the school holiday classes and camp. that would be great. Changwon is my closest, best bookstore, so I've been there a few times. big city to me.

teachermc, you've inspired a desire to see Mireuk and this pedestrian underwater bridge. thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:56:57 pm by Merryone »

• obnavox3
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »
I live in Byeongjeom all the way South on Line 1.  It's a rather nondescript Korean area.  The buildings are battleship gray to match the skies in the winter.  The usual suspects are here such as Lotteria, Lotte Cinema, Caffe Benne, etc.  It is nice and shiny and night, Vegas on a miniaturized scale.  There's a nice park.  Best thing about the area is that we have three buses that go to Seoul from here which will arrive in an hour at most unless there's terrible traffic.  I also don't work here either.  I take the bus into Dongtan every day which is a much nicer and richer area. 

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »
I live near the bus terminal in Incheon. I love and hate it. I am near downtown Incheon, but there is not much to do. Usually, everyone goes to Seoul for the fun. Seoul is only and hour away, so it is nice. It has its pros and it has its cons. I can avoid the hustle and bustle of Seoul, but I can visit from time to time. If I go out to part in Seoul, I have to pay to get back, stay there, or go out all night. It is nice not seeing tons of westerners here. I can go a week without seeing one, at least the obvious ones.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »
I live in Wontong, which is about 10 minutes away from Inje (which is about an hour from Chuncheon).

Its quite rural, has a very nice feel to it, and with only two main streets its almost impossible to go somewhere without seeing someone that recognizes me. :)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:40:26 am »
Wow, Rusty, never knew you were a fellow Changwonite. I'm on the outskirts of Changwon (Naeseo-eup)...kinda out in the sticks, but not really...20 minute bike/bus ride to Masan, 50 min bike/bus ride to downtown Changwon, and yet within another 1/2 hr to an hour of riding I'm way out lost in the country...sort of the best of both worlds, just sucks for hanging out with friends at night...taxis add up and buses stop running after about 11:30.
*click*

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »
Nice neighborhood in Seoul with no foreigners. So stay out!

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:09:09 am »
Namwon, in Jellabuk-do. Nice quiet town. Kind of a rural town, but has all the regular stuff of a city. Reminds me a lot of the small university towns in the US.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:29 am »
Relatively working class area of northern seoul, stuck in a small one room in a 'Villa' with many of the other local NET teachers. They are loud in the hallways and the NET above me regular makes a hell of a racket (music, laughing, banging about).

I live 10 mins from my school and my students live all around me. The fruit seller makes regular noisy rounds, my window rattles when someone closes their car door, I can hear a baby crying, someone playing piano and a really annoying yappy small dog with a bark that pierces your soul.

I live on the bottom floor and can hear when people type in the security code on the main entrance door.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:17:57 pm by Annyeong Cassaeyo »

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »
Yeonsu-gu. Overall, Yeonsu-gu is the bee's knees.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
I live on Namhae too. As mentioned, it's rural, quiet and safe and the local Koreans are very friendly. I like it; I'm a small town kind of guy. I've lived in 3 big cities and been to a heck of a lot more; they're all the same: noisy, pushy, busy and loud. A nice place to visit but not a place to live, at least for me.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
I live in Sinjeong dong. In Seoul. A nice area, but away from popular areas.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »
I'm also in Changwon.  Kind of crazy that there are this many of us on here.

I'm liking the city.  I'm blonde, so I still get stared at, but it's not too bad since there are lots of foreigners around.

I'm teaching over near City 7, which is probably one of the prettiest building complexes in all of Korea. 

It's a pretty good place, especially to me, coming from a small town in the Florida.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• Namhae
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »
I've seen city 7 from the outside and a few pictures on the internet of the inside,  and it is gorgeous. I've been wanting to go there, but just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

• tim717
  • Explorer

• October 26, 2011, 10:14:22 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »
I just got into Daegu, the Northern section of city where the subway doesn't extend yet in the 7th something.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »
I live in Bucheon. Used to live in a still-developing part of Incheon so this was definitely a step up. If I stay long enough, Seoul line 7 will pass under my street, which would be really awesome. There are nice parks to take your bike, lots of shopping, restaurants, and two big foreigner bars all within walking distance. The foreigner population took a hit when gepik went belly up for the year, but they're still fairly common. To be fair, I haven't really explored much so I reckon my observations only scratch the surface. 

Dislikes? The express bus into the city is painfully slow, and arrives at half-hour intervals or worse. Traffic on the 120 is a crawl (take a book or your mp3 player!) and the drivers aren't getting paid enough 'cause I believe they've gone on strike three times in as many months >_<

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
I live in Pohang, Gyeongbukdo.  If you look on a map of Korea, Pohang is that little horn on the east coast.  If you want to go to Ulleungdo, Pohang is the main ferry terminus there, albeit we're not the only one.  We're about 90 mins from Busan and Daegu and 45 from Gyeongju by bus, so it's quite nice to live here and travel out. 

Recommendations: NYC Cafe is by far one of the best foreign-owned/gourmet restaurants I've ever visited.  Bukbu Beach is the main hangout, lauded for being 2nd only to Haeundae.  Bogyeonsa Temple has waterfalls and a steep enough elevation to challenge anyone who's keen on hiking.  Live Story and Tilt Bar n Grill are the best live music and foreigner bar venues (respectively).

Dislikes:  Bus system stops at 10:30-11, and in a city as large as Pohang, a certain amount of social planning is necessary.  You can travel an hour in any direction, aside from east unless you like swimming, and you'd still be in Pohang.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:40:27 pm by WorkingTitle3484 »
You get what you give :)

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:27 pm »
I live in Seoul. I guess I love it since everything happens over here.