Read 2749 times

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
Korean students studying abroad
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:08 am »
My co-teacher has a niece (6th grade student) that is looking to study abroad in America or Canada for 3-4 months before beginning middle school here in Korea.  She wants to do a home stay with a family while there as well.  Many times going through the Korean companies who set these types of things up is very expensive.  Was just wondering if anybody new about any companies or programs that you have heard good things about.  Or any ideas where I can look to get more information about setting up home stays would be wonderful. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! ;D

• plchron
  • Super Waygook

• July 20, 2011, 10:24:04 am
    • Ulsan
Re: Korean students studying abroad
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »
Let me start by saying that I hate all organized religions, that being said I know that church groups in certain communities do take inof foriegn exchange students for free, or maybe they only pay for meals. So if she is christian, it might be a viable option that the family would be comfortable with. I think you can start by choosing a region that she would like to visit and then go from there. Some school districts in the US may have different rules and regulations ragarding foriegn exchange students (like vaccines).

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:01 am »
I'd also be interested in finding out some information about this. My best 1st grade high schooler wants to study in America for a semester. I'd love to find a good program or organization that I could recommend to her.

• Jayne
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2011, 12:29:29 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:36 pm »
Hi All,

I worked at an ESL school in the Madison, WI last year. I was the International Student Advisor, and I helped all applicants with their inquiries, applications, and visa forms. The minimum age that the school accepts is 16 years old, international age of course. The program runs for 2 months, but students can obtain a visa for up to 1 year at a time. The possibility to renew is available if they should be able to/need to stay longer.
It is a great school, rather small- less than 100 students. This lends to a very personal relationship with the teachers. Our program offers a 'home stay' placement or the possibility of renting an apartment directly above the school. Of course housing cost is in addition to tuition fees. But, since it is not in a large metropolitan area the cost of studying/living there will naturally be less, comparatively.
The woman who owns the school is from Thailand, so she is great at making foreigners comfortable upon arrival!

Please let me know if you are interested in learning more information. I would love to help some Koreans apply there!

• Jayne
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2011, 12:29:29 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:15:28 pm »
I might also mention that it is an accredited school with agreements with many of the universities in the area. So after studying here it becomes easier to gain admission into a 2 or 4 year university in Wisconsin. (We have two agreements with out of state universities- one in San Francisco and one in Iowa, but I'll have to double check)

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:48:26 am »
Let me start by saying that I hate all organized religions.....

plchron, was that necessary?

You hate them, but recognise they do good things.   :o :o :o

If you hate them why do you recommend them, really strange.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:56 am »
Let me start by saying that I hate all organized religions

Pretty sure that first comment is a violation of the Terms of Use of this site, holmes.

I think he was just offering that as a disclaimer to show he wasn't recruiting people for religious schools. Came on a little strong for some though.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• pinklady
  • Explorer

• September 29, 2011, 03:36:41 pm
    • southkorea
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:23 pm »
I work at public school in Chung's
Some our students going to abroad in winter vacation.
they will study English in only 1 month.
Is this really effectthe is skill?

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »
I work at public school in Chung's
Some our students going to abroad in winter vacation.
they will study English in only 1 month.
Is this really effectthe is skill?

I think it depends on the program and on the students.

If the students study hard and try to practice English in the foreign country (I assume it's an English speaking country) then they will definitely improve their English ability.

Unfortunately, Korean students are often shy and embarrassed to speak to foreigners so they probably won't speak Korean that much.

Think about it. How much English do Korean students speak in your English class? In most of my co-teachers' lessons the students speak entirely in Korean with only a few words of English. If they manage to go to a place where they practice speaking English for hours and hours every day, their confidence (the most important speaking trait) will increase and so will their ability.

This is a great opportunity for the students but only if they actually bother to try to speak English. If they don't really really try, then it will not improve their English at all.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.