Read 2967 times

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Question about Damyang for JLPers
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:59:10 am »
Hi,
I see people in the JLP program go to Damyang for an extended workshop during the year.  Can you tell me more about it?  When is it?  How long is it?  Who goes?  Is it only elementary teachers, or do middle and high school teachers go, too?  What do you do?  (are you teaching teachers, or are they teaching you)?  How do you like it?  And anything else you'd like to add . . .

On paper it seems pretty unatractive, so that's why I signed with regional this time around.  But, I guess there may be some benefits, including getting the chance to meet some English-speaking Koreans.  (Oh, and I just remembered that you get paid a little extra for it.)  As lots of jobs in Jeollanam-do are JLP, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into, should I sign a JLP contract next time. 

Thanks!
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2006, 10:21:05 am
    • Mokpo
    more
Re: Question about Damyang for JLPers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 04:38:19 pm »
Going to a workshop in Damyang is pretty good. Many teachers consider it to be a break from the grind. Adult camps are two weeks long;kids camps are a week. We teach the teachers or the kids. We live there the entire time. The spot is isolated. It has its stressful moments, especially depending on the Korean supervisor in charge. Sometimes teachers must go on a field trip that is quite boring and tiring. Many of the Korean teachers are cool enough to joke around and spend time with. We get about 1,200,000 won extra.
Man erkennt einen Philosophen daran, daß er drei glänzenden und lauten Dingen aus dem Wege geht: dem Ruhme, den Fürsten und den Frauen - womit nicht gesagt ist, daß sie nicht zu ihm kämen.

Nietzsche