Read 5490 times

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2006, 10:21:05 am
    • Mokpo
    more
Working Hours
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:36:45 pm »
I am just curious how many hours everyone works. The poll does Not include workshop hours or extra classes. We are required to work up to 22 hours a week
Man erkennt einen Philosophen daran, daß er drei glänzenden und lauten Dingen aus dem Wege geht: dem Ruhme, den Fürsten und den Frauen - womit nicht gesagt ist, daß sie nicht zu ihm kämen.

Nietzsche

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
Re: Working Hours
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:19:05 pm »
I am scheduled for 21 hours, but I also have 1 extra class for the advanced kids, and English town (1.5 extra hours a week).
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:38:09 pm »
20 "regular" hours (up from 9 first semester but down from 22 a few weeks ago), plus:
1 hour of kindergarten
2 hours of an English club thing
1 hour of teaching teachers
2 hours of volleyball (unpaid  :()

edit: just remember that 22 is the maximum, but that we're not "required" to work that much. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:46:53 am »
For those people thinking of coming to Mokpo, there is a large Elementary school group here and our contracts say we are only required to work 20 hours.  I work 19 this semester - no extra classes or anything.

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:06:14 am »
I meant that we are required to work up to 22 works. They key phrase is "up to" which implies that less hours are possible.
Man erkennt einen Philosophen daran, daß er drei glänzenden und lauten Dingen aus dem Wege geht: dem Ruhme, den Fürsten und den Frauen - womit nicht gesagt ist, daß sie nicht zu ihm kämen.

Nietzsche

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:34 am »
I have 16 classes that are 50-minutes long.  However, due to the fact that my school has a TERRIBLE English work book...I scrapped it and create all my own lessons from scratch (Or steal/modify those that I find on this wonderful site and others).
I also have a 2 hours workshop, and 4 hours of extra study groups in a week. 
So between planning for 12 low-level classes, 4 advanced level classes, a work shop, and 4 extra study groups (for the smartest of the smart), I'm actually WORKING the whole time....well...in theory :P  I sure have lots of time to write sh*t on this website! :D  But really, I DO spend upwards of 10 hours a week lesson-planning.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:02:22 am by Dayle »

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:59 am »
My ES week looks like this:

18 x 40 min classes (all but 2 on my own, ie. the Korean teacher leaves the room).

2 hr teachers workshop

30 mins kindy

So, normal classes 21.

Now add:

11hrs a week at English Only Zone (EOZ). (mon 5-8, tue 5-9, wed 5-9). Lessons, Dinner, Table manners, Role-plays (airport, taxi, hospital, bank, restaurant, shop), diary writing, etc.

It's a busy week.

Luckily, I have got the textbook pretty down pat and the most I do for lesson planning is to make a handout. The EOZ gets one team of students a week, so I can repeat the same program over and over, 19 times to be exact !

The money is good, I also just negotiated a pay rise for the EOZ. Plus, since I don't want to be at school for 12 hrs a day, I have permission to leave school in the afternoon, after my classes.

So can anyone beat me? Anyone else out there doing more than 32 classes a week??? (It sounds like a lot, but that's what a lot of hagwon teachers do I suppose).

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:47 pm »
I meant that we are required to work up to 22 works. They key phrase is "up to" which implies that less hours are possible.

Yea but in the elementary schools we are required to work up to 20 hours, not 22.  Anything over 20 is extra pay.

• Lana
  • Waygookin

• November 10, 2006, 02:35:45 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:29:45 pm »
usually 22, sometimes 21.  But, I am including my 2 hour workshop in that becuase I don't get paid extra for it and it takes work. 

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 08:34:56 am »
I don't get paid extra for it and it takes work. 

I thought we were all supposed to get paid for the extra classes?  I even received the option of not doing them this year, although I think I was only asked out of politeness.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 06:47:08 pm »
Wow, I guess I really don't have much of a right to complain.  I am regional as well, so at first I faced some of the same problems, but they quickly got resolved.  They spring up again from time to time, but I am a little too annoying for them to ignore.  I think I was also lucky with my draw of co-teachers.  Albeit, a lot of the times it seems that the folks in charge want something of me that has nothing to do with my contract, then ask or tell the co-teachers to get it done, all the while assuming that I'd agree without getting the slightest input from me.  When this happens, I usually just state that I'll consider it, and if mentioned again, I refuse.  I don't like having to say no, or being pushy about what I am supposed to be getting--most Korean teachers are just forced into bad positions when the principles make ridiculous demands, and so my irritation is with the oafish principles.  I keep relationships at work professional, I have no problems telling them to pay me, or insisting on what is stipulated in the contract.

• goulash
  • Veteran

• September 19, 2006, 01:41:40 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 03:09:39 pm »
I've just started working my second contract and was casually told over dinner by one of the superintendents, that I had a "Wando Obligation" to go and teach some Saturdays on the islands around here.

Sorry, but I don't remember hearing about, nor agreeing to teaching anything on my weekends when I signed up here. So, no... I don't feel obliged to do so.

I don't know if they would be paying me extra (I'm guessing they would) but they went about it totally the wrong way. If they had tried discussing it with me, instead of telling me I must do it, I probably would have agreed to go every so often. As it is, I'm going to be pulling out the contract and asking them to point to exactly where it says I have this obligation.

I hate doing this, especially as I've had no problems with JLP in the past and I also know I'll be making my (great) co-teacher's life more difficult, but I figure if I just go along with it, they will keep doing stuff like this to myself and any future foreign teachers.
Goulash
walkabout.wombat@gmail.com

• Samuel
  • Veteran

• Mokpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:10 am »
If you are JLP, you do not have to work Saturdays. Period. Stand your ground and say no. Also, discuss the matter with Brendan before agreeing to anything.

Nietzsche