Read 3668 times

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
No carpets or rugs in Korean homes
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »
Hmm...ever wonder why in Korea, most homes,apts,one rooms, etc. are never carpetted?
It's always cement floors, or fake wooden wall paper, or wooden floors....all allowing people's footsteps
to sound like elephants living next door/upstairs.   Some carpet would go a long way and save the country
from constant tenant on tenant crimes/assaults for losing sanity for lack of sleep or noisiness.   

I'm just wondering if it's some kind of cultural or religious thing they have against carpets. 
(the most obvious answer is money, but c'mon, it costs money for everyone around the world.  It's not like
us/canadian homes have some kind of abundance of carpet that everyone gets it for free except in korea).

• Seoulian
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 08:09:40 am
    • Seoul
Re: No carpets or rugs in Korean homes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:13 pm »
I really can't think of a time I've seen carpet here.  Maybe in hotels? It's simply not in style here. From what I remember,  I don't really think carpet is that popular back home either, I would much rather have laminate or hardwood than carpet. It gets old and dirty and has a point of no return. I have seen bamboo mats laid on the floor. I don't think carpet is going to make your apartment less noisy, that has more to do with the quality of the insulation and wood in the roofs.

Money (and trade regulations) play a huge role in home construction, especially when houses are built on mass. The reason you don't see the mass use of concrete in Canada while you do in Korea is money as it costs like $100/square meter for concrete back home and it's likely cheap here. Same with things like stucco and quality wood.

Now wall paper drives me crazy. Hate that stuff, but it's in style here, so what can you do...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:18:24 pm by Seoulian »

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
The reason-  floor heating.

Don't cover up the floor if that's what's heating the house/apartment.  We wouldn't wrap our radiator in a blanket.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
Do you have any idea how dirty carpets get?  Like the guy above said...it's all abou the Ondol.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »
Yeah, the floor heating seems to be the most logical explanation.
I, for one, don't like carpet either as its terrible for allergy sufferers like me.  But the kind of carpet they have in hotels and other
high end offices/buildings, seem to work great.  They're like microfibers....so short and small, you almost don't even notice it's a carpet yet
leaves your hallways and steps whisper quiet.

Hey, even in the 24th century Star Trek: TNG, they used carpet in the enterprise lol. 

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:32 pm »
The only thing that bothers me about the no carpeting is the noise.  I enjoy not having all the dust, mold, etc stuck in woven fibers.  My gf parents have a rug in the living room though.  Rare.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »
I, for one, don't like carpet

:P

Sorry

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 02:31:07 pm »
Koreans, according to my wife, think carpets are dirty and dusty.  We have a woven wool winter loose lay carpet for our living room in the winter and an oak strip "namu" carpet for our living room in the summer.  You can put a carpet  on top of ondol, but it would be foolish to install wall-to-wall carpet over an ondol floor.  I wear socke indoors most of the year, so our floors are not that noisy to walk on. 

If you've got the money to spend on real wooden floors for your own Korean apartment or house, go for it.  Until you do, pipe down.

• lasoro70
  • Veteran

• November 24, 2010, 12:14:01 pm
    • Western USA
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »
Back in America, it's maybe 50/50 (?) bare floors/carpet. Also, most people back in the US don't take their shoes off inside.  Personally, I always took off my shoes at home even before I came to Korea because lord knows what gets stuck on the bottom of one's of shoes. Didn't want that stuff ground into my carpet.

When I look at my floor, I'm amazed how much dust, hair and crap that collects in one day. With carpet, you don't see all that crap that gets hidden. So, it's kind of "out of sight, out of mind". With hard floors, you're more inclined to clean it when you see all the dust bunnies building up.

My parents just tore all the carpet out of their house and converted it to bamboo floors. So much nicer and cleaner.