Read 2597 times

• gecko87
  • Explorer

• May 22, 2010, 09:32:17 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
Is it okay to do Winter Camp in Spring??
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »
so last month my co-teacher gave me the dates that i had off for vacation. i booked my flights, and my family members also booked flights to meet me in different spots. my co-teacher had decided we would do a week of camp in Feb during spring vacation as this fitted in best with both of our winter plans. the problem is that the principal is now saying that this is not allowed and that the camp must be moved to January. this means i have to knock a week of my trip, which means i have to change my flights and so does my sister. i went to do this and now the flights i want are either full or extremely expensive. what can i do?? help!

but yeah so my main question is: are camps truly not allowed to be held in Feb? [mod edit: removed vulgarity]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:23:57 pm by Dayle »

• cwells
  • Adventurer

• September 13, 2010, 08:28:19 am
    • south korea
Re: Is it okay to do Winter Camp in Spring??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »
Our contract states that we must teach 22 hours a week, excluding our allotted vacation time. It does not say that we must be present for the entirety of the English camps (although it is desirable) - so, if your co-teacher told you those dates and you booked flights accordingly, it is your co-teacher's problem- not yours. Tell them very nicely that you cannot possibly change your flights. I understand it can be a very awkward situation, I just had to do the same thing with my school. They can still run an English camp without you there for all of it.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:18:29 pm »
Its likely that the POE has set a date by which all the camps (and paperwork for them) should be done. In any case, its not your problem, just tell them you're very sorry but it is impossible to change your flights and they will have to make it work.

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
If you want to score some bonus points (or at least try), you could -

Tell them you are very happy and looking forward to doing the camp in February, as was outlined by your coteacher.  If it cannot be in February, you are sad/disappointed that you cannot do it, because your flights and those of your family are already booked.
Then (if you are willing) - tell them you would be happy to create lesson plans for the camp, even though you will not be able to be there.

I do think it is important to stand your ground - since it would really cause a big mess for you to change things now, but try to be as flexible and accomodating as possible in the alternative situation.

Good luck!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:49:29 pm »
I was in a similar situation during last summer break. Again, stand firm. Don't give in. Tell them you are sorry but you cannot change your flights. It is their problem that they agreed to a date and now they have changed their mind.

• gecko87
  • Explorer

• May 22, 2010, 09:32:17 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:15 am »
Thanks for the advice guys! I have a meeting with the principal today to discuss the solutions to HIS problem.
I'm actually with SMOE. Is anyone in Seoul doing camp in Feb?

• jonpurdy
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2010, 01:42:50 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:50:13 pm »
Hold your ground. You already got authorization to do it, your family already has their flights booked, it's too late to change it now.

Good idea about offering to do the lesson planning for it if they refuse to have camp in February.

• goulash
  • Veteran

• September 19, 2006, 01:41:40 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
Let us all know the outcome. I'm not up in seoul, but I'd be interested to find out if you're allowed to do it in Spring as well.
Goulash
walkabout.wombat@gmail.com