Read 1995 times

• Explorer

• October 06, 2011, 02:10:00 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Immigration Card
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »
Hi all,

Just wondering how I go about getting an immigration card in Seoul, I can't seem to do anything without it.

Cheers.

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Immigration Card
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »
You must go to the immigration office to apply for the ARC card.  Sorry, I don't live in Seoul so I have no idea where it is.  When you go I think you need to take your contract (not 100% if you need it or not, but it can't hurt to take it), fill out the application form at the immigration office, submit your health check, show them your visa, submit a passport picture and pay the fee (10,000won I think) for the ARC card.  You may need a form from your school as well to take, so best option is to ask your school about everything you need before going.  You will also have to give them digital finger prints, while at the immigration office, for them to add to their database.  While at the immigration office you can pay a small extra fee to have a 택배 (taek-bae) service deliver your ARC to your school or apartment when it is processed so you don't have to go back and pick it up.  It will roughly take about a month to get your ARC card, so may be a bit rough waiting another month to get it.  But the sooner you go and get it, the better!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:15:39 am »
i'm pretty sure you're required to apply for yours within 90 days of landing in korea.

ask your manager to call immigration. you'll need some forms from your boss, as well as a health check, passport photos, money, and application you get at the immigration office.

ask your manager which immigration office you go to. i've gone to the one in omokyo and insadong for different jobs

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:08 am »
Depending on which district (gu) you live in, you will either have to go to the Jongno office near Insadong (only two or three districts can go there) or the Yangcheon office (between Omokgyo and Mokdong). You MUST bring your contract to obtain an E-2 immigration registration card. If you are in public school this is one of the only things that your co-teacher is responsible for doing (taking you there). If you are in a private institution (hagwon, private school, etc), then you will have to go on your own. For Hagwon and private schools, they will want the schools proof of business registration as well as proof of your medical physical. You must go upstairs 1st (in the Yangcheon office anyway, don't know where in Jongno) and buy stamps (no postage, just some kind of currency stamps) in order to complete your application, because they do not accept any type of payment with your application. After you have submitted your application, it will take 10-14 business days to receive it. You can opt to come back and pick it up or they will messenger it to you. Don't be alarmed if they keep your passport. I am not sure if they are still doing this (since there is  no single vs. multiple entry stamps anymore) but if they do they will give it back with your ID card. Keep in mind this info is just for E-2 English Conversation teacher visa/ID cards. I do not know anything about other types of IDs and what is needed for them. If you are trying to obtain one and need info on how to get there just pm me. For other info, there is an English speaking direct # but I've never used it. Does anyone in Seoul have this # they can provide. For some reason 1330 comes to mind but I don't think that's right. Anyone have it?
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
Depending on which district (gu) you live in, you will either have to go to the Jongno office near Insadong (only two or three districts can go there) or the Yangcheon office (between Omokgyo and Mokdong). You MUST bring your contract to obtain an E-2 immigration registration card. If you are in public school this is one of the only things that your co-teacher is responsible for doing (taking you there). If you are in a private institution (hagwon, private school, etc), then you will have to go on your own. For Hagwon and private schools, they will want the schools proof of business registration as well as proof of your medical physical. You must go upstairs 1st (in the Yangcheon office anyway, don't know where in Jongno) and buy stamps (no postage, just some kind of currency stamps) in order to complete your application, because they do not accept any type of payment with your application. After you have submitted your application, it will take 10-14 business days to receive it. You can opt to come back and pick it up or they will messenger it to you. Don't be alarmed if they keep your passport. I am not sure if they are still doing this (since there is  no single vs. multiple entry stamps anymore) but if they do they will give it back with your ID card. Keep in mind this info is just for E-2 English Conversation teacher visa/ID cards. I do not know anything about other types of IDs and what is needed for them. If you are trying to obtain one and need info on how to get there just pm me. For other info, there is an English speaking direct # but I've never used it. Does anyone in Seoul have this # they can provide. For some reason 1330 comes to mind but I don't think that's right. Anyone have it?

this is outdated information.  I've gotten 2 ARC's this year and neither required me to go buy stamps.  They changed that policy.  They also accepted cash when I applied (not stamps).

I also didn't need my contract when I applied for mine. 

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:39 am »

this is outdated information.  I've gotten 2 ARC's this year and neither required me to go buy stamps.  They changed that policy.  They also accepted cash when I applied (not stamps).

I also didn't need my contract when I applied for mine.

marsavalanche:

Where did you go? I went in July to renew my ARC, and I still had to. I went to Yangcheon. Perhaps the one you went to doesn't, but Yangcheon still does it.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »
weird, when i went in april they told me they dont do that anymore when i asked about buying the stamps. same with insadong. maybe someone else can share their experience?

• Explorer

• October 06, 2011, 02:10:00 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »
Thats class, thanks a bunch everybody! :)