Read 5806 times

I need help finding a quality evening Korean language classes
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:00 am »
So I am currently taking a Korean language class at Sogang University. The class is fantastic, but I spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours commuting to and from class. I do this 3 times a week. It's doable, but very annoying.

Does anyone know of any other universities/centers/academies that offer Korean classes in the evening. I am hoping to find something close to Hoegi station. I've checked out Korea Universtiy, Kyung Hee, and Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, but they only offer classes during the day.

Yonsei and SNU offer evening classes, but those are too far away as well. SNU does have a Heyhwa campus,  but I was told that there weren't even enough students enrolled this semester to have an evening class.

I also looked in to getting a tutor but those are WAY too expensive.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
Re: I need help finding a quality evening Korean language classes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:27 am »
I also liked the Sogang course.  Have you tried the Korean Culture Complex?  They tutor you in Korean, and then you participate in an English conversation group.  It's free for English speakers.  They have a branch in Hye-Hwa:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75445692036

How the Korean tutoring goes is really up to you.  You can bring your Sogang book and work through that with your tutor if you want.  As for the English tutoring, you don't need to do any prep.  Just show up and talk. 

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:07 am »
I tried that out last Spring. Had a great tutor and all was going well. Then she left and I wasn't happy with my replacement. Plus, the only time I could go was on the weekends, which was miserable.

I am looking for a legit, structured class.

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:27 am »
I don't know your location but...Before I went to Yonsei (then Sogang) I went to Ganada Hagwan and was very satisfied with the level of instruction. Also tried YBM...the materials there were okay but the instruction was a little weak. 

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:04 am »
I live near Hoegi station which is in the north east. I'm just a few stops away from Dongdaemun.

I heard bad things about YBM as well. And Ganada is even further away for me haha.

The more I dig, the more I think that I might just have to stick it out with the Sogang commute :(

• NHF84
  • Explorer

• September 30, 2010, 06:11:12 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »
What level are you studying at Sogang? They offer classes at the various global centers around Seoul. I know they have classes at the one in Itaewon. You might want to look into those.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
Hmm... I might have to check this one out, though it looks like it'd be a little over an hour commute for me as well.  Unfortunately I don't have any alternate suggestions for evening language classes.  Sorry you've got to go through that long commute though--it's so tiring having to go all that way after a full work day.

Sogang is entirely separate from courses that Ewha Women's University offers, right? (Actually, does Ewha offer evening classes in Korean?  I guess I need to do some more investigating)

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »
I've been using Kumon for 5 months now and I love it.  My kumon teacher comes to my house once a week for 34,000 won a month,  She brings the lessons, tutors me, gives me homework, and reviews my homework.  It's awesome.  http://kumon.co.kr/  I needed my co-t to set it up.  They filled out the online form and set up the first class, I've been in control ever since.
I've learned a lot of Korean, my reading and writing have improved greatly.  It is also a good incentive to keep the place clean. ;D

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:43 pm »
What level are you studying at Sogang? They offer classes at the various global centers around Seoul. I know they have classes at the one in Itaewon. You might want to look into those.

I am currently enrolled in level 1A. This level ends in the middle of November.