Read 1862 times

• Juno106
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 01, 2010, 07:54:17 am
    • seoul
Stressed
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
_____situation resolved thanks everyone!____ After the weekend my problems with my teacher just seemed to evaporate!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:34:14 am by Juno106 »

• Awesomo
  • Adventurer

• October 27, 2010, 08:15:09 am
    • Hongcheon, Korea
Re: Stressed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:45:14 am »
My personal experience is that what matters most is showing that you care. Ask questions about your lesson plans (not approval, but fish for suggestions/ideas very lightly). Ask how your students did on a recent test. Be a good person and show that you care about the students' performance (and just the students welfare).

When it comes down to it, they can't hate you for showing a disgusting picture if you are a caring teacher.

Also, lemme see the picture. I want to, uhh, study it.
ESL Outpost - Tools and Information for Teachers Living Abroad

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
If you haven't already, just apologize to your teachers, admit you were wrong (whether you think so or not) tell them you want to make it right, and ask for their help.  From now on, be very cautious in what you present in class until you have a better idea of where the line is.  If possible, send your teachers all your materials in advance and ask if they thought it was OK.  That way, if there is a problem you are giving them ample opportunity to say something before there's an incident.  They may feel like they have to babysit you for a while, but in time you can win their trust back again.  Don't forget to work on your social relationship, as well.  Go out to school dinners and maybe take them out for coffee or chicken once in a while.  It's hard for them to be honest with you now, which is probably why they waited to say anything.  They will feel more comfortable telling you what they think if they know you better and see you as a friend.

• ejmclaine
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 12, 2010, 03:25:08 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »
There is some difficulty in deciphering how your teachers really feel, as the tendency is to hide their emotions whenever possible. You will get things sugar coated in some situations (ie, your class performance) and totally blunt in others (like your 'body weight'). It's just going to be something you'll have to keep asking about, and let them genuinely know that you care to improve your teaching methods. Also, let them know that you just wanted to give your students something to laugh about, and that you thought it would gain their attention. They'll let it slide. It may also be the case that your teacher is just a bit uptight, or fears that some of the students might complain to their parents (in which case, be prepared to apologize all day long). It's probably true that your teacher him/herself didn't really care (which is why they wouldn't have said something right away) but that they were worried about potential reactions. Don't sweat it. **** happens, and WAYYYY worse than that.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:21:36 pm by Dayle »

• kerrym
  • Veteran

• March 18, 2010, 09:52:47 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »
Bring in some fruit for your co-teachers, and if you feel comfortable doing so, "apologize" to your main co-teacher, or to the teacher who speaks the best English. If the first teacher in whose class you showed the clip didn't complain, then it's more his/her problem than yours. In the future, if you think something might be remotely offensive, run it by your main co-teacher before you spend hours incorporating it in a lesson. You never know what is accepted.

One of my first co-teachers and I had an open class and she created an "evolution" game where students began as reptiles and by speaking expressions correctly eventually could become a human king or queen. An older music teacher who was watching us "prepare/rehearse" for the open class went crazy. She was a hardcore Korean Baptist and stated emphatically that, "Evolution is not appropriate to teach to elementary students!" My co-teacher changed the name of the game to the "King Game" and all was cool. As someone else said, don't beat yourself up. Your motives were to engage the children and I'm sure they were.