Read 3728 times

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
PLEASE READ, Enlish-Korean Teacher Proposal.
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:43 am »
Hello everyone!

I recently showed this website to a Korean co-teacher, and got support for an idea I had some time ago.  Mainly, I was thinking of going around different schools (or get some other people's help in this respect), and ask the Korean English teachers to sign up for this website, perhaps making things easier for both groups?  I am not sure if this would provide more of an advantage or disadvantage.  Previously, the idea was to create a site for the Korean teachers as a separate forum on a different website, but the folks at JLP and the guys in charge never could make up their minds about supporting it.   ???  Oh well.

I thought I'd post the thought here first before going about it.  Please post your suggestions, or email them to me.  I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:08:23 pm by Momomo »
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Re: PLEASE READ, Enlish-Korean Teacher Proposal.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:45 pm »
Hmm, I voted "no."  Although I was ambivalent at first, a few things tipped the scales for me.  I've typed out a few replies, but I can't seem to capture what I want to say.   I'm still curious though, Arsalan, why you want to do this.   

As it is now, something just doesn't feel right about opening it up.  I have no problem with positive cross-cultural communication between Koreans and native teachers, but I don't necessarily think this site ought to be the place for it.  I'd like to be able to advise, share, and vent without every Tom, Dick, and Kim in the province reading about it and judging me based on it. 

Furthermore, I'm not convinced many people would contribute anyway.  Think about how many people you've met in your community who actually give a damn about English or English education?   For me the number is close to zero.  The number gets even smaller when I think about the number of those willing and/or able to commit the time and energy to sharing information here.  Hell, nobody tells me sh*t now, even in Korean, and all they have to do is walk across the office . . . I don't know if an English-language site would change that. 

Now, I'd be all for having:
- Posts by Koreans in Jeollanam-do interested in language exchanges
- K-teachers writing essays with their opinions on (for example) classroom management, or working together well with a coteacher, or games that work well.  (I think having limited contributions would be a better option).

I'll check back later and try to amplify and clarify some of my points.  But in short, since I don't see many advantages coming from it, I'd like to keep the site the way it is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:56:45 am by Dayle »
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• Jessica
  • Waygookin

• September 19, 2006, 02:52:50 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:35:37 pm »
I think Brian articulated things better than I could. I also am interested in hearing what you think the benefit of opening it up would be.

• Virginia
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:20:41 pm
    • Suncheon
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »
NO.

This is a self-created and self-perpetuated resource for the foreign teacher community of Jeollanamdo.... it's even a part of the name: waygook.org.

There are times when this site is used as a sounding board/for venting by different teachers, and I'm sorry, but there are just certain things that our co-teachers and schools don't need to know - you know, like how to wrangle an extra week of vacation time under the radar.

Please keep the site the way it is - but I'd be all for inviting teachers who do not work for JLP (i.e. University and Hogwaners).

Virginia
Nobody is interested in something you didn't do.

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:57:20 pm »
Fair enough, I imagined people would think of it this way, which is why I doubled checked responses first.  As mentioned before, it was initially decided that a Korean website would be made on a different server and not part of this forum.  The idea didn't take off as I thought it would, and therefore combining resources seemed like a good way to give it a boost.

I thought it would have brought added benefit because of the inside information Korean teachers have.  I've been lucky with my co-teachers so far, they've been very helpful, but I know of others who haven't been as fortunate with theirs.

The greatest benefit, in my mind would have been for lesson plans.  The idea of being able to work and update lesson plans after they've been reviewed by Korean teachers, and perhaps develop a workbook or a digital book for everyone.  I have been working on one for a few months alone, but I find all of my lessons are too complicated, too dense, or sometimes just dull.  The only two lessons that went over very well were "Fairy Tales: Snow White" and recently "Tongue Twisters" on powerpoint.  The interest I have is with learning theory, and being able to teach with a proper breakdown of lessons and units, keeping in mind that it's specifically directed towards indolent Korean-speaking students.  I think I just might be overcomplicating things, and being too picky with my lessons, but I find that as I am forced to progress with the material, the students' levels are shiftless.  Would be nice to find out what I am doing wrong... any pointers?

Anyhow, you're all correct about the downside of having "big brother" snoop over the waygook posts, I can't think of any way to avoid that with this idea.  So, I'll heed the warnings and avoid making any changes.  However, I would still like to create a decent lesson plan archive, or workbook everyone can access freely from anywhere.  I tend to be an idealist at times, and then get myself into trouble, so I thought I'd weigh my ideas here and get some feedback first.

Thank you to everyone who's been posting lesson plans, and posting in general.

Also, as a reminder.  If you're leaving your apartment, or school.  Please post the housing information on the housing thread for new/moving teachers to have a look.  I've already posted mine (minus some pictures) as an example of how it should be formatted.

Peace
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:08:05 pm by Momomo »

• Virginia
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:20:41 pm
    • Suncheon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:26:22 pm »
The pedagogy and methodology that is currently being used in Korean schools by the Korean-English teachers is outdated and must be changed/improved upon. The idea of learning a language through rote-memorization and repetition was abandoned by the rest of the world (almost) over 30 years ago.

When I was studying Applied Linguistics and TESL at Concordia 10 years ago, we studied those methods as examples of what NOT to do in class.

Still, there are some very forward thinking teachers out there, but they are trapped inside the textbook and exam requirements in exactly the same way as we are.

V.
Nobody is interested in something you didn't do.

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• Alberta
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:32:31 pm »
It's frustrating when they attempt to suggest doing rote memorization, but it's only two of my co-teachers that use this method.  They're both old.  The others are very open, and one I talk to a lot is avidly researching effective teaching methods.

I am just trying to get inside the students' heads, and see how they're absorbing (or not) what I teach them.  It's not easy, so a good Korean English-teacher is always a good source.  I do think Language, and cultural exposure affects thinking (although many linguists may disagree); unfortunately as their teacher I haven't lived in a Korean environment long enough, so it's difficult for me to evaluate my material from their perspective.

We can disagree about the effects of language on thought.  Regardless of theory or methodology, I also doubted wether any teachers would really want to collaborate, considering their schedules, unless they had a strong interest in the topic.

Anyway, point taken! :P :D