Read 1951 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Can we please stop calling each other 'troll?' (It's infantile.)
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
Every time I read the word 'troll', whether it's directed at me or another poster, I cringe a little. It's infantile, obnoxious and surely beneath someone with a university degree. If you disagree with a poster's opinion on a given matter, you are free to say so. It's actually encouraged. But to offer nothing other than "don't feed the troll", or "ignore this troll" is immature. Can we all please agree to stop using it?

Thank you.

Re: Can we please stop calling each other 'troll?' (It's infantile.)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:34 am »
Why of all people would YOU need to post that?

Seriously, I'm at a total loss.

• Spongeblob
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2011, 10:21:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:07 am »
I concur.  The overuse of the word, "troll" is most disturbing.

I prefer the more politically correct verbage, "bridge dwelling citizen".

Perhaps to avoid future conflict all posters who upset the status quo should henceforth be known as "monkeyhumpers".

(Because, monkeys can't read.  Haha stooopid monkeys.  :))

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:47:42 am »
IMO a better request is to stop acting like a troll, as in refrain from responding with thoughtless inflammatory remarks.  Comments like, "Ugh I can't STAND babies.  All they ever do is poop and cry.  Aren't they ALL utterly ungrateful little jerks?  Whoever disagrees with me is a big fat stupid-head."...I find these comments more obnoxious and puerile than calling a person out.  Sometimes people have got to hear that they're acting like champions of bothersome remarks, regardless if they refuse to listen.

If people don't act like one, they won't be called one.  Easy as that.  Saying things like, "You must come from a terrible home.  The entire continent of North America is utterly disgusting." is doing nothing more than getting a rise out of people because it's making it personal.  It's not offering anything constructive to a debate or conversation. Don't be surprised when those to whom it was directed lash out.  You (meaning people) CAN'T make sweeping/accusatory generalizations like that because you sound like an ass with a fake university degree.  In other words, you're begging for a fight.  Keep on pushing buttons thoughtlessly, you'll find one.

A great test which takes but 5 seconds of your life:  Is what I'm about to say/enter going to help someone?  Do I want someone to say this to me?  Consider your audience's feelings and think about who they are/how they might react (which might be a tenet of English writing 101) and I promise you, you'll never hear "troll" again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:07:16 am by WorkingTitle3484 »
You get what you give :)

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:14:44 am »
A troll is someone who posts inflammatory or off-topic messages online to provoke other people.  Obviously they exist on most forums and should be discouraged.  So, what should we call them?  Most of the other labels I can think of are pretty infantile.  Also, realize that the slang word originally comes from the verb (as in "trolling for fish" or "trolling for newbies") but has come to include the noun.  Maybe we can call them fishers?  Seems a little awkward to me.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:21:58 am »
The word is probably being thrown around a little too much. However, I think that Horus is one of the best "baiters of emotional responses" without quite crossing the line into warning territory that I've ever seen.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 07:37:02 am »
people using the word troll will continue no matter what we say in this tread (unless we report / ban users who use this word which seems a tad draconian for a non curse word) . Let's just close this thread because nothing much can be said on the topic.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:20 am »
If someone is a troll and you call them a troll, it won't affect them.

If someone isn't a troll and you call them a troll, they'll either think you're an idiot or get upset (which means that you're the one that is actually trolling by using the term).