Read 20960 times

Re: Body Image, Vanity, and Skin tone in Korea
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »
korea is very image conscious and afraid to stick out. they love looking fashionable, but not willing to be different. koreans are willing to do anything to fit a round peg into a square hole, if the square hole is trendy. hence the tremendous demand for plastic surgery. sigh so sad.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
Re: Body Image, Vanity, and Skin tone in Korea
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 06:04:49 pm »
BUT, I would never allow my students or coworkers to ask me about my weight.  It's the height of rudeness in Western society, especially for a kid to ask on adult.  I tell them it's none of their business.  Same for my age.

The age thing is a bit over-dramatized. If someone asks your age it's not rude. You can't look at a person and see how old they are. You can guess but if you want to know you should ask.

Weight is a bit more rude though, but it seems that in Korea it's pretty common.

I my country it is extremely rude to ask someone's age, so I can't agree with you at all. It is none of anyone's business how old I am.

Age and weight are great talking points that generate heaps of curiosity. Why not just use it to your advantage?